16 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2014 3:24 AM by Jonathan Ferman RSS

Jonathan Ferman Adobe Employee

I wanted to let you know that Adobe is working on a brand new 'Adobe Exchange'. It's been written from the ground up and delivers a completely new user and producer experience that overcomes a lot of the issues we heard from existing users and priducers of the current Adobe Exchnage. We also just released a new tool called the Adobe Exchange Packager which makes it easy to package up your content for the new Exchange. We plan to have a release on Labs in July but if you sign up now you may have time to get yoiur products on the new Exhange ready for the public release.

You can learn about the new Exchnage and some of the tools for creating the content and products for it on this Adobe blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com/cssdk/

You can get the new  Packager and see the new Adobe Exchnage by signing up for the prerelease at:

http://tinyurl.com/exchangeprerelease/

We hope to see you on the prerelease!

Jonathan Ferman | Product Manager

• 1. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange
          Stolen name Community Member

Don't you think it would be smart to say something about this on the current ASX site? There are thousands of people out there who have no idea that this is happening, and most of them probably got frustrated a month or two after zero updates and may have given up.

• 2. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange

Sorry what is the ASX site? I will gladly post there as i want to spread this message far and wide.

Many thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange

I am currently in discussions with the team that owns this site to inform users via email about the new Exchange but it is not going to be possible for several weeks unfortunately. Please help me spread the word about the new Exchnage and have people sign up for the prerelease at:

tinyurl.com/exchnageprerelease

Many thanks

• 5. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange
                Leprakawn

Yeah, I talked breifly with Ben Mordue, and it sounds like you [Adobe] want to keep it under wraps. But it also sounds like the release date will be right around the corner...

BTW, didn't you mean this URL instead? tinyurl.com/exchangeprerelease

• 6. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange

It's under wraps until we go public on Adobe Labs (expected this month, July) but if you sign up for the prerelease you also under NDA so we can share all the information with prerelease users. I look forward to seeing you on the prerelease forums and seeing your products on the new Adobe Exchange.

• 7. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange
                    webzonecreation

There are thousands of people out there who have no idea that this is happening, and most of them probably got frustrated a month or two after zero updates and may have given up.

• 8. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange

I am not sure how you came to the conclusion there have bene zero updates and I am not sure what updates you are referring to but the new Adobe Exchange is grwoign nicely and webzonecreation and other users will find great content and can also create your own easily and sell it too! We will have some news about Exchange Classic soon as well but I do thoorughly sugegst that if you haven't you sign up for the free prerelease program to submit unlimited products with unlimited fize size:

https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=TrpBhXaHScDuvTj0vuwZcA

• 9. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange
                        Piotr Ku Community Member

hi,

is this Adobe Exchange prerelease program still on?

or do we have now the paid subscription already?

I have singed in to the adobeexchange.com to upload my free Web

engine plugin for Adobre Lightroom, I have read the "Term and

conditions.." creating account and there was a statement that creating

Adobe Exchange Account costs nothing at first and one can submit

unlimited number of free plugins and two paid ones before the need to

upgrade his account to a paid one.

After submitting this agreement when I logged in to my account I see

there an info:

"Account: Level: Unlimited product submissions for $249 a year (FREE

during prerelease)."

I didn't want to sign in for any paid product.

There was no option to choose the product (Account - Level) during the

registration process, and there was no clear information about it.

Did I create a paid account by mistake?

If so how to cancel it immediately, I don't want to pay anything.

• 10. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange

Yes the prerelease is still on. If you either private message me or let me know your publisher name I will upgrade you to the unlimited account. We are looking at what we do around accounts but for anyone wanting to provide more than 10 products I am very happy to upgrade their accounts for free.

Thanks,

Jonathan

• 11. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange
                            NightSkyGuy Community Member

Interesting history here

June 22, 2012 "Pre-Release Announced"  [Ferman]

April 15, 2014 "Prelease still on" [Ferman]

Is there a tentative date when this thing will no longer be "pre-release"?  Presumably then you'll start charging $249 a year (or is that already happening?)

It's a bit like a Creative Cloud subscription... you never know WHAT Adobe is going to charge when a renewal comes due until it's actually due. All you really know is that it's going to cost more money!

Meanwhile, I asked a number of questions about what is being provided to participants in the program.  Copying here from where I originally posted them.

Where is the correct place to discuss the "Add-on-Exchange thingy"?  Nothing leaps out at me in the pull down on this page:

http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa

I want to know what this eventual offering may include. The FAQ isn't clear about how any of the following work:

• Licensing enforcement (is there any?).  Adobe has worked hard to make sure users can not run an unlicensed version of Photoshop, but does that extend to anything purchased through "Add-on-Exchange"?
                            • Upgrades... must they be "free"? Can I publish an "upgrade" to a product and charge more?
                            • What happens if a user purchased my product and knows there is an upgrade: does this platform provide a way to let them know?
                            • Does the platform allow them to automatically or interactively download an update?
                            • What information does the producer get about the purchaser? Email? Name? Location?
                            • What statistics are provided to the producer?  In what form?
                            • What statistics about the site are provided to producers in general?  E.g. page views / day, most popular product(s)? etc.

WIthout the statistics, it will be very difficult to determine how effective this Exchange thing is as a marketing tool. I suspect poor based on my observations.

• 12. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange

Yes the prerelease is still on, just like there is still a prerelease program for mature products like Photoshop and Illustrator. That does not mean that we have not launched things. Even once the Add-ons website is launched we will still have a prerelease so that when required we can share NDA information or let you test things early. Adobe Exchange Panel is very much released and integrated into various CC apps but as mentioned in other discussions with you, it's not necessarily the perfect vehicle for maximum exposure. Add-ons will have much more exposure and be much more visible in-app. In the next major release of the CC desktop apps you will find links to Add-ons within 10 apps including 2 places with links in Photoshop. We plan to have even more links where it makes sense in the future.

In terms of the metrics, we provide total users, total downloads, downloads per version and so on and with Add-ons user automatically get your updates and can even acquire products on their phone or tablet and have them automatically install back on their computer. The best way to see what stats we provide is to create a product. We just released the ability to package things like scripts online when submitting your product.

Give it a try. Oh and we plan to release Add-on later this month all being well. Look out for an a preview event invite via this prerelease soon.

• 13. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange
                                NightSkyGuy Community Member
                                The best way to see what stats we provide is to create a product. We just released the ability to package things like scripts online when submitting your product.

I signed up several days ago... still nothing.  It's a bit disconcerting that to see what it looks like I will have to make (and presumably release) a bogus product.

And "Add-ons" isn't here yet, so nothing to see. 

Unfortunately I've learned from experience that "soon" is a word that when used by Adobe means "4 months or more from now".  For example the  "Fonts feature in Creative Cloud coming soon" took 4+ months even though it was as touted as a selling feature for joining Creative Cloud.  File Sync (Adobe Drive) took 6+ months to show up.

I also notice you didn't address most of the questions. As the product manager, I'm sure you must have some idea what you WANT to do, even if it won't all get rolled out. I'm taking a stab at answering the questions myself. Feel free to correct my answers.

• Licensing enforcement (is there any?).  Adobe has worked hard to make sure users can not run an unlicensed version of Photoshop, but does that extend to anything purchased through "Add-on-Exchange"?  Stated another way: would a savvy user have trouble "stealing" Add on content from another user or system?
                                  PRESUMED: No enforcement. Trivial, or nearly trivial for a user to send or copy his components to another user - depends on the delivered content.
                                • Upgrades...  Can I publish an "upgrade" to a product and charge an incremental fee more?
                                  PRESUMED:  No way to provide incremental fee upgrades.  Same product updates are delivered for free. Producer can provide a new Product (which may be an upgrade). No mechanism for purchaser to get a discount in this case. Add Ons will NOT support pre-requisites (e.g. can't insure that if purchaser buys P3, that she already has P2 and/or P1).
                                • What information does the producer get about the purchaser? Email? Name? Location? Nothing?
                                  PRESUMED: Nothing about purchaser is provided. There is no way to know if someone who contacts the producer is in fact a legitimate purchaser. No way to engage purchasers since no data about them is provided.

My presumptions are based on the "least cost" route I would expect Adobe to take to provide the features as well as the features in similar markets (e.g. Apple App Store).

• 14. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange
                                  Royi A Community Member

Jonathan Fernandes, The new site is beautiful.

Few remarks:

• Could you bring back the option to download the ZXP / ZIP file uploaded manually?
                                    Some users prefer that.
                                  • Will you allow "Real Links", people like to open links in new tabs which can't be done in the new site.

We all wish you success with this new effort.

• 15. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange

NightSkyGuy, replies below:

I signed up several days ago... still nothing.  It's a bit disconcerting that to see what it looks like I will have to make (and presumably release) a bogus product.

Jonathan: Not sure how you are expecting to see real metrics without usage. You will see what we track without any data but as Add-ons is a website we are currently looking at adding hooks using Omniture to be able to get much more detailed information about users hitting your product details page and we want to provide that kind of information in the future. I don't have a timeframe on that as we are only just starting the work but I would expect detailed metrics this year.

And "Add-ons" isn't here yet, so nothing to see.

Jonathan: We released on May 21. Check it out: https://creative.adobe.com/addons

I also notice you didn't address most of the questions. As the product manager, I'm sure you must have some idea what you WANT to do, even if it won't all get rolled out. I'm taking a stab at answering the questions myself. Feel free to correct my answers.

• Licensing enforcement (is there any?)
                                      PRESUMED: No enforcement. Trivial, or nearly trivial for a user to send or copy his components to another user - depends on the delivered content.
                                    • Jonathan: Correct we do not have DRM which is what this is really about. We are looking at possibilities to do enforcement using Creative Cloud desktop app install workflows however DRM in this instance is proving to be far more difficult than expected. For example a product like Photoshop requires a serial number and it can make calls to ensure the serial number is correct and so on. However, when the product is say a JPEG file where and why would you enter a serial number, how would the DRM be implemented, the JPED would probably need to phone home regularly. It's tricky. For any DRM a product has in Add-ons that can continue to be used.
                                    • Upgrades...  Can I publish an "upgrade" to a product and charge an incremental fee more?
                                      PRESUMED:  No way to provide incremental fee upgrades.  Same product updates are delivered for free. Producer can provide a new Product (which may be an upgrade). No mechanism for purchaser to get a discount in this case. Add Ons will NOT support pre-requisites (e.g. can't insure that if purchaser buys P3, that she already has P2 and/or P1).
                                    • Jonathan: Currently we do not support "upgrades" to products. This I see as more a matter of timing, upgrades require the user to already have bought a previous version on Add-ons. So once lots of people have made purchases I think upgrades could make more sense. Of course the user would need to be signed in for them to see upgrade pricing but it feels like something that would be fairly easy to do, it's just a matter of timing. We do now support subscriptions and lots of producers are now offering subscriptions rather than upgrade pricing.
                                    • What information does the producer get about the purchaser? Email? Name? Location? Nothing?
                                      PRESUMED: Nothing about purchaser is provided. There is no way to know if someone who contacts the producer is in fact a legitimate purchaser. No way to engage purchasers since no data about them is provided.
                                    • Jonathan: We have privacy protection laws to adhere to. However, in the case of a customer issue we ask the user to contact the producer first to resolve the issue if they contact Adobe we like to get the producer involved and in those cases it absolutely makes sense and we do share the customer's email address so you as a producer know they are a legitimate customer. Additionally, if your product lets users provide their contact details that is absolutely fine for them to do that and for you to ask the customer within your product.

I hope that helps. We are seeing significant traffic increases since launch and look out for integration of Add-ons and linking to the Add-ons website in forthcoming major CC app updates like Photoshop.

Jonathan

• 16. Re: Sign up for the NEW Adobe Exchange

Hi Royi A

Comments below:

• Could you bring back the option to download the ZXP / ZIP file uploaded manually?
                                        Some users prefer that.
                                        • Jonathan: Yes we are working on this. We want to let users download and then install via Extension Manager if for some reason they are having install issues using the Creative Cloud app. Also it means we could support CS6 users without requiring the Adobe Exchange Panel. So yes we are working on this and we hope to release it within the next couple of months.
                                      • Will you allow "Real Links", people like to open links in new tabs which can't be done in the new site.
                                        • Jonathan: Do you mean for URL's that we currently require the user to copy and paste or clicking on a product to make it a new tab. If it's the latter we want to fix it and a bug has been raised, if it's the former yes I think we will but we want to roll it out as part of new preview capabilities for example it would be nice to preview a Muse template or watch a video inline in an Add-ons page. So yes to both