13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2012 4:30 PM by flbreen RSS

Memory Requirements for MXF

flbreen Community Member

I set up my PC to run Pr CS5 two years ago with 12GB memory. Recently started using MXF files. I use the Adobe Dynamic Link on Encore to produce standard def DVD. The memory use of the PC runs up to 11.9 and Encore sometimes stops. I ordered new memory for my PC that will add up to 20GB. Will that stop the problem?

• 1. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
          Harm Millaard Community Member

Frank,

There is a significant performance difference between 12 GB and more memory. However, why do you go to 20 GB and not to 24 GB on your X58 mobo?

If you add only 2 x 4GB sticks, it can not run in triple channel mode, but if you get a tripack, 3 x 4GB, it will run in triple channel mode. That is assuming you currently have the first bank filled with 3 x 4GB sticks and add a tripack to give you 24 GB. Otherwise you end up with 3 x 2GB plus 3 x 4GB = 18 GB.

• 2. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
            flbreen Community Member

My current system is 2GBx6.

This is what I just ordered from Crucial Technology.

It was recommended on thier website.

BLS4KIT4G3D1609DS1S00 16GB kit (4GBx4), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM  Upgrade for a ASUS P6T SE System

I just ordered 4GBx2 to make my total 4GBx6.

Thanks for saving me a lot of trouble.

• 3. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
              Bill Engeler Community Member

There is a problem with MXF files and CS5 that no amount of memory will solve.  It is exactly the problem you indicate, where all the memory gets consumed over time.  It was solved for 5.5, but never fixed for 5. You need to either update to 5.5 or 6, or convert the files to another format.  I used Cineform, but there are other alternatives.

• 4. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
                flbreen Community Member

I have been doing pretty well editing MXF files on my PC with Pr CS5.03 and 12GB.

The problem occurs when I edit to MFX tracks on top of each other.

I can FF but it gets jerky and stops and when I try to change the audio gain on one of the tracks Pr blows up and goes away.

I guess there are other ways to to blow up Pr running MFX files but I work carefully and save often.

The problem with memory occurs when I try to use the Dynamic Link in Encore to bring in MFX sequences in Pr.

It worked sometimes with my memory usage running up to 11.9GB out of 12GB.

Other times Encore get an error and stops.

I am assuming that if I have 24GB of memory that process will work better.

In the mean time I am Exporting SD MP4 files from Pr to be used in Encore to produce SD DVDs.

When I have less work to do I will install the new memory and see if that helps.

I would like to update to Pr CS5.5 but I heard that since I have the suite of Adobe applications I must update the suite rather than just Pr.

I am planning to upgrade my hardware and suite next year and I am reluctant to put more money in my old (2 years) PC.

• 5. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
                  flbreen Community Member

I just got around to installing the 6 x 4gb new sticks in my PC that had been 6 x 2gb.

Instead of seeing 24gb in my system I found:

24.0GB installed (16.0GB usable)

Can I do something about this?

Mobo: ASUS P6T SE LGA

New RAM: BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM Upgrade for a ASUS P6T SE System

• 6. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
                    John T Smith MVP

You need Win7 64bit PRO (or Ultimate) to use more than 16Gig of Ram... do you have Pro?

• 7. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
                      flbreen Community Member

I have W7 Home premium.

I tried to build my first Blue-ray HD with this systen and the memory usage went right up to 15.7 GB.

I guess I will need to upgrade.

• 8. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
                        flbreen Community Member

I found that I can upgrade W7 Professional for $65.

Do you think if I install that upgrade I will get the whole 24GB usable?

Thanks very much for the info.

• 9. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
                          John T Smith MVP

You should, since one of the selling points of Pro is ram over 16Gig

I have never installed one Windows over the top of another, so have NO idea how successful that will be

• 10. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
                            flbreen Community Member

One last question - When I ran my Encore Bly-ray project using Dynamic Link it quickly went up to 15.4 of the 16 GB that I can use. I assume that W7 backs off of from the 16GB available as it did when I had only 12GB available. When I have the 24GB will the project use that memory and run faster?

This is a user comment from Amazon.com on the upgrade from Home Premium to Pro:

It turns out that Windows 7 Home Premium already contains Windows 7 Professional; it is simply not enabled. When you buy this upgrade you are getting an upgrade key. No disk, just a key sticker and very brief instructions. Key it in pursuant to the laughably simple instructions and within minutes you will be running Windows 7 Professional. One caveat: apparently you cannot upgrade from Windows 7 32 to Windows 7 64 bit. This will affect very few users as I do not believe that hardly any computers are shipping with 32 bit Windows 7. Nor should they. Windows 7 64 bit is very compatible with existing 32 bit software, and in the future we can expect lots of 64 bit software and we all want to be ready for it.

• 11. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
                              John T Smith MVP

Sorry, I do not do BluRay, so have no idea what going from 16 to 24gig will do

Interesting that all you do is enter an upgrade key, and you do not have to do an install

• 12. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
                                anat_usa Community Member

i am in same pants! i also have x58 system. i use MSI x58m intel i7 950 3.07ghz......... in order to use more ram u need 64 bit OS but not sure if win 7 home or pro make a difference (i have pro). untill last week i had just 6GB ram - 1gbx6. and i had ram problems from day 1. in order to make my system stable i had to lower it to 800 mhz. i always thought my mother board had problems, but then, after i read that forum i found out that Micron core may have compability issues! and wow my ram was Crucial and its uses Micron. infact the company i bought parts from - exchanged me the monther board and video card 2 times, they also chanched the rab once, but seems like the issue was that it was same brand. Last week i finally decided to upgrade my ram, so i got - CORSAIR 4 GB DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9 Vengeance x 3 - works like charm !

also got the new evga gtx 580 3gb card, instead of my old radeon hd 4890 1gb

unfourtunatly i dont use the premier yet - i bought it a year ago cs5.5 prodact premium, but never got a chance to learn it yet, already downloaded a few learning premier vids...

Anyway, my 1st update was GPU and later ram...... so i d like to tell that i use Corel video studio and mainly edit avchd files. I can tell that i got improovment after getting a new gpu - in program its self there was no huge improvment , but its for sure much easier to run with a mouse around a time line .... less respond waiting time, and also was easier to go backwards that with my previous gpu was almost impossible - terribly slow! but still it was not perfect. But after the RAM upgreade its all works just fine. AVCHD is not a problem anymore....

also before the major upgrade i can tell that my processor was busy around 90%-100% all the time....even during the time line work, but now its just 50-70%........and cooler makes less noise now!

• 13. Re: Memory Requirements for MXF
                                  flbreen Community Member

I finally read your note carefully. Encore will not process MXF files directly. I have to use Dynamic Link.