8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 5:16 PM by birderpp RSS

CF card reader for photo impport does not show on LR3

birderpp

Firsst I'm a newbie to Apple and LR3 and using Scott Kelby's LR3 book to start. Incredible as it may be I'm stuck beyond Step 2 (the very beginning of the book) in trying to import photos, first form a DVD and also from a CF card reader. The error message on my DVD says that there is an initialization error (OK, OK , the DVD with photos was created on another laptop, running on Windows Vista, so it may be a Read Only file). Aside from that, however, my CF card with photos does not even show up on LR3.

I have gone to System Preferences and changed the way I want CDs and DVDs to show. In both cases I changed it to "Open in LR3". Is that wrong?

Here is a Screen shot of LR3 Library when  tryingn to import photos. No (CF card) drive is shown. (Hope it shows)

file://localhost/Users/dennisluz/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202012-03-19%20at%204.29.50%20PM.pn g
      I'm getting desperate as I have spent many hours trying to figure how LR3 works. I have created "My LR Photos" folder in LR and I was hoping to create additional subfolders under the above to store all my photos.

• 1. Re: CF card reader for photo impport does not show on LR3
          birderpp Community Member

No one can voilunteer and answer?

• 2. Re: CF card reader for photo impport does not show on LR3

It worked this time. Just connected the card reader to LR3 program and all photos opened. Why it didn't open the previous time? Maybe because I had two exterior items connected to the computer (card reader and external hard drive). Maybe not. Anyway I'm happy, for now.

• 3. Re: CF card reader for photo impport does not show on LR3

Here we go again! It's on-again-off-again problem with me. Tried to load more pics from my CF card into the Mac and it does not show the source. Tested all 4 ports in back of the Mac and went into System Preferences to check for hardware. USB device does not show in any one. Disconnected Sandisk Card reader and re-connected; still nothing to show. Card reader works fine with other laptop, a PC. CF card was formatted in DSLR camera so that should not have been a problem. I wonder if I have a bad port connection?

Or what is it in LR3 that I am failing to do correctly?

• 4. Re: CF card reader for photo impport does not show on LR3

No volunteers?

OK, the saga of the non-loaded photos continues. Since my last post I have on one or two occasions been able to have photos from my CF card load and show on LR3. The last time it was successful, I had the iMac turned on first and then, after half a minute,  connected the CF card reader to the back of the computer and when LR3 was opened, the photos loaded. I have tried connecting the Card reader to the computer first before turning on the iMac but it did not work. Is there a procedure as to what should be turned on first?

Here's another thing: the one time when my photos loaded I was able to go to the Develop module and do all kinds of things the software allowed me to do. There were some photos which I did not select in the Library module and so they stayed in the CF card. Now, when I took more photos in the same CF card (there was still a lot of memory left), no new photos were able to be loaded in LR3. Do I have to clear something first, like a path?

I hope you folks who read this don't get annoyed by this on-again-off-again posting, but, as a newcomer to LR3, I find this confusing. Scott Kelby's book has been helpful in some way but it does not address many situations like mine. I wish I had spent some $$ on the other book by Victoria (?) to supplement kelby's book. Maybe I will.

• 5. Re: CF card reader for photo impport does not show on LR3
                  Estaban42

It's a hardware problem between your computer and your card reader, LR has nothing to do with the problem.  If the computer shows a connection to the card reader, Lr can read from it and everything will be fine,

• 6. Re: CF card reader for photo impport does not show on LR3

Thanks Esteban. You may have a point there. I'll check out the card reader's functionality.

• 7. Re: CF card reader for photo impport does not show on LR3

One month later: I am able to load images from a 4 GB CF card but not from a 8GB or 16 GB card. I wonder why.

The 4 GB card is a Sandisk 15MB/s card

The 8 GB card is a Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s card

The 16GB card is a Sandisk Extreme UDMA 60MB/s card

Card reader is a Sandisk Imagemate 8-in-1 reader

Second  card reader is a Kingston Flash memory 19-in-1 card reader.

The other problem is that when i download images from the 4 GB CF card sometimes it  does not appear on LR3, so when I click on Disk Utility, the drop down box shows the generic storage device media 4.11 GB card and EOS_Digital (my Canon DSLR) and if I click on the EOS_Digital box it shows a Format: MS-DOS (FAT 32) . Since I format the card in the camera why should it show a FAT 32 partition? This is an on-asgain off-again problem and I fear there is some kind of hardware incompatibility. Maybe its the Mac desktop, since both cards and readers work on my other Windows PC.

• 8. Re: CF card reader for photo impport does not show on LR3

OK card reader downloaded successfully on iMAC "Image Capture" screen but does not show up on LR3 (the previous problems were all due to booting up in Safe Mode). How can I get it to show up on LR3? Should i first open LR3 and then plug the Card Reader, or does it not matter which way? I had the card reader plugged on to the computer's USB port and then turned the computer on. Could that be why it loaded to Image Capture only?

My hardware(s) appear to be OK. It must be the procedure I am taking.