9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2012 12:45 PM by Kar209 RSS

How to move 1/2 pixel?

Kar209 Community Member

Hello:

I would like to know if it is possible to move a shape (or what have ya) less than a full pixel left, right, up or down?

I've tried holding the Alt key and other things. Also, I've been unable to pinpoint the right keyword while searching the user manual and the FAQ's

Thank you for your time : )

Kara

• 1. Re: How to move 1/2 pixel?
          ssprengel CommunityMVP

I don’t think you can nudge by a sub-pixel distance, but you could always resize your entire creation up by a factor of 2 and then do your single-pixel move, which will be half of the image-percentage that it was before you resized up. 

Are you working with vectors or bitmaps?

• 2. Re: How to move 1/2 pixel?
            Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Turn off the snap to pixel preference, and zoom in -- you can nudge by less than a pixel.

Or you can use free transform and specify the coordinates you want (again, need to have snap to pixel turned off).

• 3. Re: How to move 1/2 pixel?
              Noel Carboni Community Member

Try this:

1.  Uncheck the Preferences - General setting [  ] Snap Vector Tools and Transforms to Pixel Grid.

2.  Choose Edit - Transform

3.  You can move things by partial pixels by zooming way in and dragging; just be careful not to change the size/shape.

UncheckSnapVector.jpg

PartialPixelTransform.jpg

-Noel

• 4. Re: How to move 1/2 pixel?

Chris Cox wrote:

Turn off the snap to pixel preference, and zoom in -- you can nudge by less than a pixel.

I couldn't manage that, assuming you mean "drag the image with the Move Tool" or "push it around with an arrow key".  Even with the snap setting off it will only nudge by full pixels.

Transform works, though, as shown above.

-Noel

• 5. Re: How to move 1/2 pixel?
                  conroy Community Member

With the Path Selection Tool and Direct Selection Tool, not the Move Tool, you can nudge by  fractions of a pixel when pixel snapping is disabled.

• 6. Re: How to move 1/2 pixel?

I can't get it to do that.  Are we talking about the same version of Photoshop?  I'm using CS6.  Same system?  I'm using Windows 7.

NudgingByFullPixelsOnly.jpg

-Noel

• 7. Re: How to move 1/2 pixel?
                      conroy Community Member

CS6, OS X 10.6.8

Are you not dragging in the last screen shot? Nudging with arrow keys gives the sub-pixel movement when pixel grid snapping is off.

• 8. Re: How to move 1/2 pixel?
                        Kar209 Community Member

Hello

@SSprengel  ~  thank you for the logical answer ~ i'm quite out of touch w/my sub par math skills & hadn't even thought of that

I'm currently working with Raster but I also use Vector. I had actually thought that maybe Rasters couldn't be set to 1/2 a pixel

@Chris Cox   ~  just as I was doze'n off last night I had finally considered that there must be a snap to pixel since there's a snap to grid ... thank you for pointing that out to me

Doh! I guess I need to submit this before I can read the other responses ...

• 9. Re: How to move 1/2 pixel?
                          Kar209 Community Member

@Noel ... Thank you for your answer and for the screen shots

I too have PS CS6 & Win 7 Home

I'm currently working on something else but when I get back to PS I will try everything that has been explained and then I will get back to everyone to let all of you know what worked (best) for me.

@conroy  ~  thank you for your time & assitance

I appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out.

Be well & ttul

Kara