7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2012 6:56 PM by regsquires RSS

How to access Mocha AE CS6 from outside AE

regsquires Community Member

I worked on a project last night that involved sending a shot to Mocha AE from within CS6. All went without a hitch. I finished late but have a few more things to do in the Mocha Project before I send the shape data back to AE. So when I tried to open the Mocha file in the morning with the default Mocha for CS6 I get the error message " You can't opne the application mocha AE CS6 because it may be damaged or incomplete." So I also have Mocha Pro on my machine so I opened the project with that. That works fine. I then tried an experiment. I opened AE CS6 and as usual it comes up with the trial dailogue even though I am a subscriber to Creative Cloud and it's not trial softwareW ith a completely different piece of footage launched Mocha AE CS6 by using the send to Mocha or Track in Mocha command in AE. This launched fine. So is the only way I can access Mocha for CS6 through After Effects. If so it's very very annoying and yet another example of Adobes inflexibility to user workflows.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Richard

• 1. Re: How to access Mocha AE CS6 from outside AE
          Mylenium MVP

Yes, that's just how it is.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to access Mocha AE CS6 from outside AE

Wow that's poor. This is a really good example of why you wouldn't do it the way Adobe have set it up. You work on a project (especially roto) that might take a good few sessions and the only way to open the file again is to either have Mocha Pro or the convoluted route of opening AE making a comp with nothing then activating the send to Mocha for tracking command. Hmm.

• 3. Re: How to access Mocha AE CS6 from outside AE
              Mylenium MVP

No point in complaining here. The whole of CS6 is irrational. Anyway, feel free to write a 1000 mails per day using this:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to access Mocha AE CS6 from outside AE
                Navarro Parker Community Member

I agree. It's dumb and counter-productive. Maybe it's a way to keep users from violating their license? Were users were taking their Mocha AE CS5.x and moving it to systems that didn't have CSx installed?

• 5. Re: How to access Mocha AE CS6 from outside AE
                  StevRo Community Member

it seems there is a bug regarding proper handling of bundled 3rd party plugins that require registration inorder to properly work.  Adobe needs to provide a 'kill switch' to the ISV's who bundle their plug-ins with AE in order address their cloud members.

• 6. Re: How to access Mocha AE CS6 from outside AE
                    Mylenium MVP

Maybe it's a way to keep users from violating their license? Were users were taking their Mocha AE CS5.x and moving it to systems that didn't have CSx installed?

Of course that is the intention, but what should anyone care and why should honest users who properly paid for their software be punished this way? On how many systems can you install other vendors' plug-ins even if you only have one serial? That is to say such undertakings are pointless and a waste of everyone's time and resources. If a vendor doesn't protect his IP strongly enough, I feel it's not Adobe's place to make themselves an aide of a failed licensing scheme. And it's a lose-lose proposition in teh first place. I wouldn't even wanna know how many frustrated CS6 users are now happily using cracked versions of mocha Pro. All things considered it's a pretty stupid move. Adobe and everyone involved should simply get over it and haggle out proper licensing deals rather than futzing around with those crippled versions. Makes users much more happy...

Mylenium

• 7. Re: How to access Mocha AE CS6 from outside AE

I agree with what you say entirely. The hoops you have to jump through as a paying customer, ( I have bought Adobe products for years) are quite frankly onerous and a pain in the butt sometimes. I had massive problems installing CS6 on a second laptop, something I am legally able to do, but which proved particularly frustrating because I had a previous version installed. Who on earth trashes their old programmes when upgrading. It is a must to have at least the last version or even 2 back I find so that when old projects are resurrected you don't have any problems opening them. As a freelancer I just want the freedom to use software I have bought where ever and when ever I like. The Adobe cloud concept that is tied to a machine and IP address is a joke and one that is fraught with problems when for intance you want to upgrade to a new system. You can't just leave the software on the machine as a back up in case everything goes ary. You have to de-activate then install on the new machine and re-activate which isn't difficult but if you forget to it's a lengthy process of calling Adobe to rectify. And all this hassle is to supposedly stop piracy. To be honest I think it promotes it in a perverse way. It's almost like they want you to pirate the software so at least you can use it without endless pop ups and IP checks.  Rant over