20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 2:38 PM by markerline RSS

Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

markerline Community Member

I am not sure why this is but Bridge CS6 crashes in either 64-bit version or 32-bit version.  I do not have the same problem with Bridge CS5.5 which I believe is 32-bit.

I can't fathom that a 64-bit app with as much memory (more than 8GB) on my machine and a pretty decent NVidia Quaddro card would cause such issues.  I had installed the latest video drivers not that long ago (within the past 2-6 months) when I was experiencing a separate issue on a non-adobe software crash on startup.  Changing or upgrading the video driver caused the software to become responsive again and this was with a 3D software application.

If 64-bit apps are supposed to see the maximum RAM why would my 32-bit CS5.5 not crash in the following scenario? :

A top-level or sub-top level directory which is displaying results from subfolders and when I navigate to a thumbnail CS6 crashes but CS5.5 does not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I think I have at least 1GB Vram

• 1. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!
          Curt Y Community Member

With CS6 drivers are furiously being updated, so 6 months could be several out of date.

Most crashes are from drivers.   If using Win OS look in OS Help for Event Log.

Look in Applications for warnings, esp. Faulting Module.

• 2. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!
            gswetsky Community Member

markerline, try this.  Set Bridge to run as administrator and see if that solves your problem.  Note, this does not allow you to call Bridge from Photoshop.

I reported this bug several months ago and still no fix!!  The problem seems to be more prevalent in systems using a solid state drive.  I am totally disappointed with Adobe over this.  It worked in CS5 and does not work in CS6.

Gerry

• 3. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!
              Curt Y Community Member

gswetsky, Sounds like you are talking about the bug where crashes occur if the temp file is not on the C: drive.

They are working on it.  Perhaps next dot update.  Believe we are still running on same as beta version.

• 4. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

I seem to recall putting the temp file on the C: drive with no help, maybe I'm mistaken.

However, it worked in CS5 and doesn't work in CS6.  Curt, this doesn't smack of rocket science to me!!  Adobe released an update to the PS infrastructure today and neither of my two bugs is fixed.

Gerry

• 5. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

Curt,

I didn't know exactly which portion of the Event Viewer app to look into so I checked this Windows Vista document which should be the same for Windows 7 which I'm on:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/identify-software-conflicts-system-log.html

I couldn't find an actual Adobe log since no error window came up when it crashed/crashes.

I tried running as administrator as the other person suggested but could not seem to solve the issue.

I still haven't updated my video driver to whatever might have come out last night but I will double check to see if I am running the latest one.

Thanks so far for your responses guys.

• 6. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!
                    Curt Y Community Member

The crashes should be in Applications section in left panel of Event Viewer.

• 7. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

Are you talking about "Windows Logs>Application" or "Applications and Services Logs>Microsoft>Windows>Application Server-Applications and/or Application-Experience" ?

• 8. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!
                        Curt Y Community Member

In the Event Log on the left there should be different topics.  One is labeled Applicatons and 1 General as I recall.  Look for warnings in any of the topics and expand where you see them.

• 9. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

This is what I'm seeing in Event Viewer (not Event Log)event_viewer_bridge_cs6.jpg

I don't see any errors or warnings that refer to any adobe applications or dll's.  I am not showing the expanded view of this table just a cropped version of the topics to show if we are on the same page/application for starters.

• 10. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

Try Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application and look for an exclamation point in a red circle marked "error"......

7-2-2012 7-24-01 PM.jpg

Gerry

• 11. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

Thanks Gerry but unfortunately the crash does not produce results in that part of eventviewer .  I'm really not sure where else to look except some AppData logs in my account profile in the hidden files.  I just don't know where adobe stores those logs though so I don't want to start snooping in the appdata folders randomly without being informed.

• 12. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

Well, that was a report from a crash I just caused by running Bridge at user level.  If your Bridge is crashing and you're not getting a report in Event Viewer, perhaps you should look for problems somewhere external to Adobe software.

What are you seeing in the Application list?  Any reports at all?

Gerry

• 13. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

Yes, I do hope to get answers from Nvidia tech support because they have a slew of drivers for the same graphics card and I do not yet know which one to download and install.  Hopefully someone will respond to my email request soon.  In the meantime I can only wait and continue to use CS5.5 .  Thanks for taking the time to respond to my complaints.

-markerilne

By the way I am seeing things in the logs but not related to the application whatsoever.  Nothing that would cause the adobe app to misbehave.  Just some system reports.

Message was edited by: markerline

• 14. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

Okay, just one more question - What does Bridge do when you bring it up?  Do you get a Windows message, "This program has caused an illegal operation....." or something similar?  Apparently not, because that would write into the Admin Logs.

Gerry

• 15. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

Gerry,

Thanks again.  Bridge works momentarily and will continue to work as long as I don't click on any thumbnails.  Meaning i can navigate and scroll through my directories and the Essentials pane to view thumbnails as thumbnails in a grid.  But if I want to view that thumbnail larger by clicking on it for certain thumbnails it will respond just fine but for other random ones it crashes the Bridge.  I haven't been able to isolate what type of images cause this malfunction or if the images are corrupt because the same images do not cause an issue in CS5.5

• 16. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!
                                        Curt Y Community Member

In advanced preferenes if you check "use software rending" does this change anything?

• 17. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

Hi Curt,

No unfortunately this does not change anything.  I have found though that this problem "seems" to occur whenever I click on GIF files which are non-animated with a capitalized extension .  I haven't noticed but it could happen on any file after all.

• 18. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

I left the default setting that I used after reading your post, so I guess I still have "software rendering" checked.  But I also updated my graphics driver and it was a weird scenario.

Bridge acted like it was going to crash when I clicked on an offending GIF file that usually causes a crash (in 64-bit bridge) but then I waited a few moments and the enlargement appeared in the enlargement/preview area and Bridge DID NOT crash after all.  It just took a while to process the GIF.

I don't know why this is the case if the files are indexed.  What should I do now?  Is Bridge still considered needing a patch?  I also downloaded the latest Adobe Updates for the Infrastructure files.  Not sure if that has helped to somewhat remedy the situation.

Happy 4th of July in spite of bad weather.

• 19. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

This discussion may help if only in a small way.....

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4315852

Gerry

• 20. Re: Bridge CS6 64-bit AND 32-bit crash!

Gerry, interesting.  The GIF on that forum is animated but will not animate within the forum unless you click on it to bring it up in lightbox view (the css3/javascript preview that comes up in the middle of the screen).  It will also not animate in Bridge 64-bit.  I haven't tried 32-bit yet but I assume the behavior will be the same.  Which begs me to question, what is the purpose of enabling animated GIF support if the GIFs wont animate?

The one that was crashing Bridge on my machine was a still image GIF.