11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 6:26 AM by AJ_ETW RSS

AVCHD Help!

We are using a Sony Handycam that shoots in AVCHD. I've already been through some issues with these files and managed to get them into the program and editing was completed, but in the end the video has wavy lines over any movement in the frame. Pans are much worse with the picture jumping. The untouched footage, before importing into adobe, is not as bad but there is still some glitching and it seems to be inconsistent - wavy lines in certain places are not there when played a second time but appear later in the footage.

I understand the issues with.MTS and that a conversion needs to happen but the programs I have tried thus far, albiet free ones and trials, have not helped. Just wondering what I can do to fix the footage or even make it a fraction better. We will be upgrading our camera so this will not be something we will have to deal with long term, but we'd like to salvage the footage we have already taken.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: AVCHD Help!
          John T Smith MVP

First, More information needed for someone to help... click these links and provided the requested information

Second, I edit AVCHD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694 from a Canon with zero problems... so post more computer information and someone may be able to help

Third, you need to be sure your project sequence is correct...

Please NOTE that the PPro CS6 screen may look a bit different

For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666

Fourth, read Metadata contained in folder http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

• 2. Re: AVCHD Help!
            J. Simon Community Member

How are you viewing the "untouched footage, before importing into adobe"?

• 3. Re: AVCHD Help!
              AJ_ETW Community Member

-Adobe Premiere Pro 6.0.0 re-downloaded and installed today through creative cloud

-OS is Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 Bit

-MPEG4 AVC/H.264

-No error messages

-No other software running

-No third party effects or codecs

-Processor - AMD PHenom(tm) II X^ 1090T 3.20 GHz

-RAM 8GB

-Video card - ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (x2 without crossfire)

-Mercury Playback Engine is enabled

-Project sequence is correct, I always create them by dragging the footage into new item

• 4. Re: AVCHD Help!
                AJ_ETW Community Member

Viewing the files both on the camera itself and on the computer after transferring the files. It is glitchy on the camera when played back but its more subtle, it really shows once on the computer.

• 5. Re: AVCHD Help!
                  shooternz Community Member

Your isue is with your camera or a camera setting or the way you are shooting and operating the camera.

• 6. Re: AVCHD Help!
                    AJ_ETW Community Member

I dont doubt that there is an issue with the camera, If the shot is still and the person being interviewed moves around in the frame, whether it be a nod, or hand gestures, the footage is glitchy around the movement, even in the camera playback. I am just wondering if there is a way to fix this somehow to salvage what has been done so far.

• 7. Re: AVCHD Help!
                      Harm Millaard Community Member

First get the camera fixed, then reshoot.

• 8. Re: AVCHD Help!
                        shooternz Community Member

Sorry...I re read your post and realised that you were aware it was a camera issue.

I doubt there is any reasonable way of fixing it in post production or Premiere

• 9. Re: AVCHD Help!
                          AJ_ETW Community Member

Back again,

As it turns out the camera came with a disc to import the files and transcode them to .m2ts, after I was given this disc I was able to have a far better quality clip to work with. The issue now is that when I import this clip into premiere the playback is far worse than it was before. We also purchased AVCHD Upshift and converted the .mts files using that program instead, which again resulted in a great clip that plays well until I import it into premiere where it is very choppy.

My hard drive was changed to solid state in an attempt to fix this but still no luck.

We are just having a hard time pin-pointing where the problem lies - computer, camera, file etc..

• 10. Re: AVCHD Help!
                            Jeff Bellune ACP

-OS is Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 Bit

-Video card - ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (x2 without crossfire)

-Mercury Playback Engine is enabled

How did you do that?  ATI/Mercury is designed for Mac and very few Macs at that.  If you altered a list of supported cards in Pr, I suggest undoing that alteration to see if things improve.

• 11. Re: AVCHD Help!
                              AJ_ETW Community Member

******* BINGO!