Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This webpage cannot be displayed

Explorer ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working in a coldfusion application which is hosted in 2  windows servers with IIS versions 6.0 and 7.5. The problem is that nowadays the users are getting the IE error page 'Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage'. This issue is not bounded to a single page. Users are getting this issue in different pages when they click links or click the submit button. And this issue is replicated in two different servers. I thought of being this as a cache issue and tried with the nocache. But it didnt work. I am clueless about this now. Please help me out. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This webpage cannot be displayed" is just a generic user-friendly error page IE displays when it receives a 500 response from the web server.

There's a setting to switch it off and show the actual error, which'll help you diagnose where you code is going wrong.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I tried it. But it was not showing any error by that. And this 500 response is not coming always. And if it comes, the next second when we refresh the page, it will load without an error. So is it showing that the application is not having any error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stick an onError() handler in your Application.cfc and log whatever the error detail is, then rethrow the error.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

I tried with the onError also. I was not able to register the error. I built a small cfm file which is just taking a single row of data from db and displaying. And I made this page to refresh @ an interval of 3 minutes. I was able to regenerate the issue about 9 times within 4 hours. But the cause of the issue is unknown. Along with this I made a html page which showed this issue for about 2 times within this 4 hour. So I am totally confused about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's occuring with a HTML file, then CF is playing no part in it, so I'd focus on looking at the network between the clients and the web server, and indeed the web server itself.

Perhaps perform your test from a browser on the web server itself (using localhost as the domain name, so as to stay off the network), and see if you still get the error.  If you do, it's something with IIS.  If not, it points to your network.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Cameron. wrote:

If it's occuring with a HTML file,...

Since it is apparently browser-related, I thought immediately of HTML. How does the HTML code look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still I am having the issue. I did what all I could do . Thought of updating here what all I did. I created one test html and 1 test cfm page and I kept them in the same folder in which the application resides. These pages will refresh by itself in every 3 minutes. The html page is just displaying a message and the cfm file is just picking up the first record from a table and displaying it. Now for both this html as well as cfm pages, we got this same issue. I need to confirm about one thing here. When we run this html page, will it go to the coldfusion application server? If it is going to the server, then the cf application server may have the issue. If it is not going to the application server, it is something related to IIS or server? Ok.. Now I thought of moving my application to another server and I put this test pages in that to confirm whether this issue is not there. But I found this issue there too. Not in that frequency that I used to get in the other server. I then tried with different IIS settings in these servers which also didnt solve my issue.

So is this any problem with the coldfusion installation?

Anything related to IIS or server?

When we run an html page which is kept in the same folder of our coldfusion application, will it hit coldfusion application server?

Is there anything that I am missing.. Please help!!!  Thanks..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

balumohan wrote:

When we run an html page which is kept in the same folder of our coldfusion application, will it hit coldfusion application server?

Hi balumohan,

Like Adam said, no, an html page request will not hit the CF Application server, even if the html page is kept in the same folder as your CF application.

Thanks,

-Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thanks Aaron... Out of these what I have mentioned above... What can be the reason of the issue? Do you feel anything that I should try? Thanks..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

balumohan wrote:

Ok. Thanks Aaron... Out of these what I have mentioned above... What can be the reason of the issue? Do you feel anything that I should try? Thanks..

Hi balumohan,

Basically I'd do exactly as Adam suggested.  Load the .html page via http://localhost/....  (load the page locally on the server itself).  You might also watch the site's IIS log to see if the request was logged and if it was logged as an error, when the issue occurs.

Thanks,

-Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked with the html file accessed through localhost as well as through the actual site. I found the issue while accessing through the actual site. In localhost I didnt get the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

balumohan wrote:

I checked with the html file accessed through localhost as well as through the actual site. I found the issue while accessing through the actual site. In localhost I didnt get the issue.

Do the site and localhost run the same web server software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. the site and the localhost are in the same web server. I am thinking like it is a server issue?

But the problem is that I have this issue in another server also. So both these servers are having the issue?

But as the test page is HTML, it is not coldfusion related??

A 3rd server which is not having coldfusion installed is not showing this issue.

CONFUSED!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

balumohan wrote:

But as the test page is HTML, it is not coldfusion related??

A 3rd server which is not having coldfusion installed is not showing this issue.

We can already get this question out of the way. The browser's HTML request does not reach ColdFusion. It is served directly by the web server. How does your typical HTML code look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the test html page that I have written. I made it refresh every 120 seconds..

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="120" />

</head>

<body>

<h1>this is to tester</h1><br>

<a href="tester.html">TEST in web folder:: click me</a></body>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the ColdFusion version/build?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below are my system details:

Windows server 2003 r2 :: 64 bit service pack 2

IIS 6.0

coldfusion :: 9,0,0,251028

Adobe Driver Version  4.0 (Build 0005)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

balumohan wrote:

Below are my system details:

Windows server 2003 r2 :: 64 bit service pack 2

IIS 6.0

coldfusion :: 9,0,0,251028

Adobe Driver Version  4.0 (Build 0005)

You should be thinking of updating. ColdFusion 9 is now at:

1) update 1 (9.0.1) and Cumulative Hot Fix 2;

2) update 2 (9.0.2): [Note from the official documentation: "This Updater release is a follow-up of ColdFusion 9 Update 1 release. However, note that, unlike ColdFusion 9.0 Update 1, ColdFusion 9.0 Update 2 is a full installer. Hence, do not install ColdFusion 9.0.2 alongside an existing ColdFusion 9.0 or ColdFusion 9.0.1 installation.

ColdFusion 9.0.2 update is a summation of ColdFusion 9.0.1, ColdFusion 9.0.1 Cumulative HotFixes 1 & 2, all ColdFusion 9.0.1 Security HotFixes, but without Verity."]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, on to something else. Since the problem occurs when your users "click links or click the submit button" it could be an encoding issue. Does it help when you place the following two lines at the beginning of onRequestStart (in Application.cfc)?

<cfscript>

setEncoding("url", "UTF-8");

setEncoding("form", "UTF-8");

</cfscript>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept one page which is taking one record of data from db and I just dumped it to the same page. This page refreshes by itself in every 3 minutes for me to check the issue. But here also I got the issue. And also I kept one html file also. There also the issue occured.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the cause is an encoding issue on the web server, then it might affect CFM pages as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in html file I didnt mention anything about page encoding

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm running into the same exact issue - even with regular HTML pages like you mentioned.  Did you ever find a resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation