7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 7:22 PM by pwillener RSS

problem with too automatic saving

juneisamonth

What can i do to prevent a pdf to be saved on my worktop automatically?

• 1. Re: problem with too automatic saving
          juneisamonth Community Member

An additional info for above. What i meant is, that everytime i open a pdf, and close it on x, the file appeares on my worktop, even though i don't save it, just close the window. How can i prevent that from happening? at the end of the workday, my worktop keeps bursting of unnecessary pdf files. and afterwards the trashbin is loaded with unnecessary pdfs. So what to do??

• 2. Re: problem with too automatic saving
            MichaelKazlow ACP/MVPs

What OS? What version of Reader? Are these files being opened directly in Adobe Reader or are they files you are getting throught your web browser?

• 3. Re: problem with too automatic saving

you mean by OS the windows version? that's windows 7 and the reader x is vers.10.1.3.

the pdf files come by a purchasing system and i open one, and then look the info on it, and then close the window with x, and then the file goes automatically on the worktop..

is the problem with purch.system->sending the files to me? or are the saving settings adjusted so that the saving default is on desktop? how do i change the settings i a way that all future pdfs that come, would automatically either not be saved in my computer at all (since they exist in that purch.system) or they would be saved in file only for those which come throuhg the puch.system? Or is the settings adjusted by the sender of those files, and then i could not change the settings at all?

• 4. Re: problem with too automatic saving

Could someone help me here, to get this problem solved? I have tried all kinds of changes in settings but found no answer...my desktop is loaded with unwanted pdfs every day...not nice . Or if this is a mission impossible, please let me know.

-juneisamonth

• 5. Re: problem with too automatic saving
                  pwillener ACP/MVPs

I do not think that Adobe Reader is doing that; do you have a way to contact support at the vendor of that purchasing system?

If you cannot resolve this, perhaps you could write a little script that wakes up every hour and deletes all *.pdf from your desktop?

• 6. Re: problem with too automatic saving

The purchasing system is not the cause, since the co-worker has the same system, and opens the pdfs like I do, but she doesn't have this problem. So it must be either my computer or IE or adobe, one of these three. The automatic deleting however is not a good answer, since there might be some other pdfs (from a different source) that i need later on. The thing is that the program doesn't even ask, whether I want to save the file or not, it just appeares on the desktop soonest I have closed the file, so where can i find the savings settings in order to change them? and preferably to a form, that whenever i need to change the routine, or need to save the file (to specific folder), it can be done?

• 7. Re: problem with too automatic saving
                      pwillener ACP/MVPs

Sorry, I do not know of any auto-save mechanism in Adobe Reader.