8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 8:52 AM by TedTreen RSS

New connection request

TedTreen

There were no results for Why do CS5 apps want to connect to tss-geotrust-crl.thawte.com?

I haven't seen this crop up before.

• 1. Re: New connection request
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Ted, you haven't given us any real information here. Thawte.com is in the security certificate business, I think. What are you doing when this happens?

• 2. Re: New connection request
            TedTreen Community Member

Sorry, I should definitely have expanded somewhat.

I have recently installed Little Snitch (@ 3-4 weeks ago) on my Mac to alert me to any attempts to instigate contact with the outside world via the net, so I am aware if anything untoward has found its way onto my Mac - I'm not the only user.

When starting up InDesign CS5 this morning, and later with Illustrator CS5, Little Snitch opened a dialogue box at the same time the CS5's application splash screen appeared, informing me that InDesign/Illustrator "wants to connect to tss-geotrust-crl.thawte.com on TCP port 80 (http)".

Merely wondering is this usual or is this suspicious, and why is it doing so? - and why has it only occurred today?

MacPro (4,1) 12GB RAM, 4 x 1TB HDs, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

• 3. Re: New connection request
              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Only speculation here, but Adobe apps do phone home to check for updates and such. I don't think this is necessarily something you should find suspicious.

• 4. Re: New connection request

Sure, nearly all of my applications are permitted to automatically check for updates:- even Microsoft's!

It wasn't that:- the IP address ranges for the requested connections appear to belong to Verisign: I know (roughly) who Verisign are, and what they do - and I can't see why all of a sudden, applications should want to contact Verisign when starting up.

I've checked the logs in Console, and this IP range doesn't appear before 29 June this year.

I'm always a little concerned by new, unexpected behaviour or actions, but I do confess to being perhaps just a touch paranoid re ungodly things getting onto my Mac.

• 5. Re: New connection request
                  Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I think it's checking that the security certificate is still valid.

• 6. Re: New connection request

Yes:- most probably. Still, a degree of suspicion is I suppose, better than falling into hacker hands...

• 7. Re: New connection request
                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Right. Being paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't someone out to get you.

• 8. Re: New connection request

Thanks Peter