8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 11:37 PM by lilia@ RSS

Placing tiffs

lilia@ Community Member

The two images below are identical but were placed on the layout differently.

The left was placed and then the alpha channel used via the clipping path

The right was placed with the alpha channel selected in show import options.

Is there a way to get the left image to look like the right image after placing or is show import options the only way to do it?

image.jpg

• 1. Re: Placing tiffs
          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

Best I can think of is that when Relinking via the Links Panel one can choose the Import Options anew.

• 2. Re: Placing tiffs
            tman69 Community Member

have you tried placing it with 'show import options' unchecked?

and NOT placing it in a frame.

• 3. Re: Placing tiffs
              lilia@ Community Member

the left one was place with it unchecked.

how can i not place it in a frame? it needs a frame to be placed.... well, eventually.

what am i misunderstanding?

• 4. Re: Placing tiffs
                lilia@ Community Member

the thing is, when placing the exact same image in quarkxpress, you can select to use the alpha channel via the measurements palette mask option.

InDesign doesn't seem to do that... after placing. and when I use the alpha channel as a clipping then the drop shadow doesn't appear as it should. it seems that it ignores any grey areas in the channel.

• 5. Re: Placing tiffs
                  tman69 Community Member

indesign doesn't 'need' a frame to place (what I assume is a Photoshop file-saved as a .PSD or a tif with 'alpha channel(s)' selected)--yes you can use a frame (it's for all the former Quark users)--but is not needed.

just select the 'place' command--make sure 'show import options' is unchecked--your cursor will be 'loaded' with the image--then click anywhere on the page or pasteboard--if drop shadow isn't showing--open the picture box more with the selection tool (not the 'direct' selection tool).

• 6. Re: Placing tiffs
                    lilia@ Community Member

thanks, however i am aware of the placegun.... thats why i said...."it needs a frame eventually".

it makes no difference if i place with or without a frame drawn first...

the difference is whether i choose to show import options first or apply it later...

i need to know how to apply the alpha channel after placing it so it appears exactly as it does on the right (which was done with show import options selected... if that makes sense.

• 7. Re: Placing tiffs
                      tman69 Community Member

"i need to know how to apply the alpha channel after placing it so it appears exactly as it does on the right (which was done with show import options selected... if that makes sense."

perhaps I misunderstood your question (the answer below is the best I can do)

you need to get to the Import Options dialog box again… and the easiest way to do that is to relink the image to itself. That is, select the image in the Links panel, click Relink, turn on the Show Import Options checkbox, then choose again from the Alpha Channel pop-up menu.

source:

http://indesignsecrets.com/choosing-a-different-transparency-alpha-channel-for-an-image.ph p

good luck--am out

• 8. Re: Placing tiffs
                        lilia@ Community Member

thanks tman

i was hoping to find out that ID does what QXP does... what a shame it doesn't.