• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Silent install in the enterprise

Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Please can you let me know if there has been any update on how to perform a silent install for Adobe Digital Editions. I specifically want to automate the activation process for multiple users by selecting the do not authorise option automatically so the install completes without any user interaction.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope that is specifically not supported by ADE 1.7 - neither the EULA nor the activation dialogs can be supressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital Editions is intended for a single user installation, not an

enterprise-wide one. It does not support multiple users as it appears you

think it does - just two per copy, and that's not going to cut it.....

==============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Just to clarify. I want to install this on +3000 single users pc's using SMS and an MSI. This can be done, however there are 5 screens at the end of the set-up process which are the EULA and activation screens which force user interaction. When we do our installations they are silent so the user has no interaction and can just load the app when SMS delivery is complete. What I want to do is 'silently’ configure those last screens to accept the EULA and set the app to don’t authorise. Unfortunately is appears to write a key based on current user to the registry on completion of the activation. There does not appear at present to be a way around this. I am trying to avoid 3000 support calls on how to I or incorrect set-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is 'no'.

============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg to differ, the link below points to a PDF which offers some hope for silent installs (although I have yet to test it):

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/digitalpublishing/pdfs/DigitalEditions_1x7_Standalo...

"...If you are a system administrator, you can automate the Digital Editions installation from the command line. You must have administrative privileges or are able to validate as an administrator..."

Good luck "mrt110011"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks for that. We have already got the silent install sorted, but it does not stop the 5 EULA / activation screens which force user interaction when you first run the program. Can't see a way around this as is it appears to write a unique key based on the current user to the registry on completion of the activation. If you have any success your end please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the issue in a nutshell. As I mentioned before, ADE is intended

for individuals to install on their own machines. And as such, it will

require a user ID. That ID is affixed to all ebooks that are transferred

to the individual's machine as part of the process. So, rolling it out

across an enterprise is contradictory to ADE's design, and you've run into

the contradiction.

=============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks "Frustrated AZ", that 'contradiction' does make sense although it does slightly leave us business users out in the cold. My challenge is that the UK's largest legal services provider has chosen eBooks instead of PDF's, and is recommending ADE to their business clients.

"mrt11011", I see now what you meant (missed it in your earlier post) and I have also hit the proverbial brick wall. I have not been able to find a way to suppress the activate screens, and having suppressed the EULA is not much of a consolation. I was able to automate it completely using Winbatch (a fantastic Windows admin scripting / tool), using keystrokes but was forced to use "mouse clicks" because the activate wizard doesn't support keyboard shortcuts. I digress... Unfortunately I cannot (yet) accomodate different screen resolutions because it's Flash and the operating system isn't clearly identifying the child and parent windows to Winbatch. If I crack it I will certainly post my solution here.

Hopefully Adobe's wizards will scroll through these posts and do something for businesses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your last point, I don't think so. The product is aimed at individual

users, as I've said. The folks from Adobe who troll these pages are few

and far between. I would be willing to bet your next paycheck that they

aren't working on a business version of this software.

========

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to capture the install using Flexera Admin Studio and unchecked the Symantec Protection offer and before I completed the capture process I edited the registry for "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions 4.5]

and made sure that all were set to ZERO 0

"EnableAutoUpdate"="0"

"ReaderState"="0"

"UpdateInterval"="0"

Works like a charm on x64 and x86 systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there - we sequenced it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you please share, going to package & deploy Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.2

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines