• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I hide a document's file path in the book panel?

Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reasons I don't understand, FM sometimes displays the complete filepath to a document or book, and sometimes it doesn't. How can I keep FM from displaying it?

Cheers,

JP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JP,

If you have saved your Book and all your documents (.fm) in same folder location, it would just display the name of the file, not the complete path.

alternately, you can change it to "Display Heading Text".

you can do that by the Second Button (from right, next to Find/Change)

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anjaneai,

Thanks very much for this answer. It doesn't really solve my problem but it made me realize I have a much bigger problem to deal with. To make a long story short, I've been working with the book and document files that are stored in an old directory, which I did not expect.  I simply want to move the book file and document files to the same new directory, and have FM handle these files and no others.

I thought I had already done that, in this way:

I moved the all the files into the new directory  via drag-and drop (in Explorer). I then  double-clicked  on the book file in the new directory. I opened the chapter, IX, and TOC files by double-clicking on them in the FM book window.

I then did a "Save Book."   I assumed that saving the book file would save it, and all document files in that new directory. (Remember, all the files had already been moved to the new directory, and I explicitly chose the book file from that directory.)

So all my files are up-to-date -- they're just in the wrong place except for the book file itself.

How can I get them to the right place?

1. I can't move the chapter files to the new directory "manualIy" and expect FM to find the right ones automatically when you open the book file.
  2. I can't do an FM "Save as" for .fm files because the Files menu doesn't offer that option for files.
  3. I can't move the files to the new directory and open them explicitly via double-click because when I do this, FM still fetches the files from the old directory!

Best,

JP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anjaneai,

Ok, I've managed to move the files by:

Moving all the files to the new directory

Using Add files to put the files in the book (the counterintuitive part here is that, even though the FM

"Add files" dialog box displays my new directory as the target of the of the Add, it won't add the file unless you specify the full file path.)

So, thanks very much for putting me on the track of this.

But I still have the original problem. The book file is still displayed with its full file path. And "Display Heading Text" doesn't change that display of the file path.

Still I'm so happy to have fixed that lurking problem, I'll live with the file path.

Best,

JP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi JP,

That is strange that your file was not in place and the new directory path was not the one which was getting updated. But Yes, a Book would continue to reach teh files which had been added to it via directory. inside FrameMaker.

About File Save as for a FM file would appear which you are working in the FM File, if you have a Book Highlighted, the Book Menu appears in FrameMaker UI.

Anyways, I am glad that you have been able to get things into place for yourself.

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines