• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive drag and drop (right clicks)

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2006 Oct 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create interactive training videos that utilize right-clicks as well as right-click drag and drops. I hope i'm just missing something. It's important for our training to include these abilities. Any suggestions?
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2006 Oct 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2006 Nov 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of proper right click functionality really makes Captivate a non starter for serious application training simulations.

As does the lack of mouseover transitions. As does the lack of proper keypress transitions. As does the lack of proper text entry handling. As does the fact that you can't properly pause a slide (keep your browser minimised for long enough, and you'll complete the course without having to do anything!)

It makes great demos, but sadly until Adobe pulls their fingers out I'm sticking with the ugly-but-does-the-job sim builders you get with LMS software.

Which is a shame, because it's got so much potential to blow them all away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi katymeredith

I'm sorry to hear you don't view Captivate useful. However, your post confuses me just a bit.

What is the intent? If you want to just rant, I guess that's fine. But we are all users here just trying to help one another out. If you feel Adobe might be reading and making decisions based on user posts, you would be wrong. They seldom look in here, leaving it pretty much to us. This isn't a slam against them or even a bad thing. Just the nature of peer-to-peer support.

I would like to address some of your assertions though.

You said:
The lack of proper right click functionality really makes Captivate a non starter for serious application training simulations.
Fair enough. Yes, I agree right mouse click is an issue. But there are workarounds. Perhaps if the developers hear enough folks ask about it, it will change.

As does the lack of mouseover transitions.
I'm not sure what you mean. Captivate does have mouseover effects. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "mouseover transition". Just last night I posted an example to my site in order to ask another user if this is what was meant. Take a look at it and see if you disagree that this constitutes a "mouseover transition". Click here to see example

As does the lack of proper keypress transitions.
Not sure what you mean with that.

As does the lack of proper text entry handling.
Or that either. I use Text Entry boxes all the time with no issues. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

As does the fact that you can't properly pause a slide (keep your browser minimised for long enough, and you'll complete the course without having to do anything!)
Hmmm, I've never seen a movie that has been paused by an interactive object just take off on its own again and simply complete with no intervention. Are you talking about a demonstration and not a simulation?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Captiv8r
Hi katymeredith

I'm sorry to hear you don't view Captivate useful. However, your post confuses me just a bit.

What is the intent? If you want to just rant, I guess that's fine. But we are all users here just trying to help one another out. If you feel Adobe might be reading and making decisions based on user posts, you would be wrong. They seldom look in here, leaving it pretty much to us. This isn't a slam against them or even a bad thing. Just the nature of peer-to-peer support.

I would like to address some of your assertions though.

You said:
Fair enough. Yes, I agree right mouse click is an issue. But there are workarounds. Perhaps if the developers hear enough folks ask about it, it will change.

As does the lack of mouseover transitions.
I'm not sure what you mean. Captivate does have mouseover effects. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "mouseover transition". Just last night I posted an example to my site in order to ask another user if this is what was meant. Take a look at it and see if you disagree that this constitutes a "mouseover transition". Click here to see example

As does the lack of proper keypress transitions.
Not sure what you mean with that.

As does the lack of proper text entry handling.
Or that either. I use Text Entry boxes all the time with no issues. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

As does the fact that you can't properly pause a slide (keep your browser minimised for long enough, and you'll complete the course without having to do anything!)
Hmmm, I've never seen a movie that has been paused by an interactive object just take off on its own again and simply complete with no intervention. Are you talking about a demonstration and not a simulation?

Cheers... Rick

Hi Rick

I DO find Captivate useful - just really frustrating when it comes to developing interactive tutorial simulations. And what I find most frustrating is that it's a really really good product - but that doesn't quite do what I need it to do

Hence the rant .....

And what I meant was:

1. Right click - probably the biggest gripe. Yes, I know that there are a few workarounds, but they all seem to require you to start coding, or work in some situations and not others; if I'm releasing a sim to 10000 people with varying setups I need to be absolutely certain that it'll work.

How many applications do you know that don't use right click? So Captivate must have full right click interactions (and by that I mean - anything you can do with the left button you can do with the right button).

2. Mouseover stuff. That example of yours looks pretty impressive - not quite what I had in mind though - I really mean transitions on mouseover to next slide, back to start of slide, to slide x, etc etc. - example: to activate a submenu by hovering over it, or to correctly show the change in a button's appearance when you move your mouse over it.

I know you can do this with a rollover image - at least, you could if it didn't crash my PC when I tried to open the image - but that's so time consuming to have to manually grab and overlay an image for every mouseover. So again, I really need an 'anything you can do with a click you can do with a hover' interaction.

3. Proper keypress interactions. I need to be able to detect a keypress, regardless of where the mouse pointer is or where the focus is. I know there's a partial solution involving text entry boxes and jiggling with the shortcut key, but there are pitfalls if the focus isn't in the text box. What I really need is an interaction that covers the entire slide and simply detects a keypress and gives me the same navigation options as a click.

4. Text entry handling. Yes, there's the text box interaction, if you don't mind it not really looking like your actual application - but where's the pre entry text? Most apps will squirt some default (preselected and editable) text into text boxes - as far as I know Captivate won't - unless you klutz it using an image - which you then can't edit.

And when you do edit the text in the box, the highlight colours don't match system settings. And you can't get the text to wrap properly according to the size of the text box - it sort of scrolls horizontally. And the multiple correct answers is good, but it won't give any leeway to spelling errors - other other sim builders will allow you to allow, say, 6 out of 8 characters as being enough to count as 'correct'. Oh, and there should be an option for Captivate to monitor typing and immediately spot the correct entry's been typed without waiting for an exit key or click.

5. I might be about to admit I was wrong here .... - my understanding was that you couldn't keep a slide active for more than 3600 (?) seconds in a simulation, and that if the slide reached its maximum time it automatically went to the next one? Have to admit I haven't really experimented with that side of things.

So are you saying that if you have a clickbox interaction that moves to the next slide, and the user doesn't click it, and you don't have a playbar, then the slide will just stay there. For ever? If so, that does make Captivate a bit more useful to me! Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick on that one.

I know all this may sound like minor niggles, but it's very important to me that my sims look and behave as close as possible to the original app as possible. I'm more relaxed about demos - which is where I'm using Cap at the moment. In comparison to the sim builders you get with LMS systems it looks fantastic and is miles more intuitive - it's just that they tend to have all the interactions I really need - and Cap doesn't.

If they can get what I've mentioned above into Cap 3 - or, hope against hope, 2.1 - I'll be abandoning traditional sim builders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Sorry, but this will be sort of hit and miss.

How many applications do you know that don't use right click?
Frankly, almost none. However, right click is often typically just one more way to interact. And I've conducted enough RoboHelp and Captivate classes to know that even among experienced folks, many are still either unaware or simply don't remember that right click provides other options.

I need to be able to detect a keypress, regardless of where the mouse pointer is or where the focus is.
Unfortunately, I think this will be an issue that will continue to plague us as long as we produce .SWF movies. The reason is technically the browser and the way it interacts with our movies. I'm not sure if the Captivate developers will be able to influence any of this. Maybe so, maybe not.

Text entry handling. Yes, there's the text box interaction, if you don't mind it not really looking like your actual application - but where's the pre entry text? Most apps will squirt some default (preselected and editable) text into text boxes - as far as I know Captivate won't - unless you klutz it using an image - which you then can't edit.
Yes, this is true. However, you can use a slide containing an image of the pre-populated TEB and superimpose a click box over the image. When clicked by the user, you could then jump to a slide containing the live TEB. This should closely resemble the setup. And keep in mind that if you have recorded an application, you will have the actual image of the application's TEB area where you would superimpose an invisible TEB. Then it would appear to your user that they were typing into the application.

And when you do edit the text in the box, the highlight colours don't match system settings.
Correct and I'm not arguinig that point.

So are you saying that if you have a clickbox interaction that moves to the next slide, and the user doesn't click it, and you don't have a playbar, then the slide will just stay there. For ever?
Yep, that's been my experience

I'm not suggesting that you should not expect Captivate to have all these features at some point. However, you really should consider hammering the development team with the issues via the WishForm. You can get at the WishForm by clicking this handy lil ole link right here.

Sincerely... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2006 Nov 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick - wishlist sent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2006 Dec 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also made an enhancement request for "right click" functionality.

This is becoming a more & more critical need to my company's development capabilities. One of my programmers is just completing a WBT with simulations in which "right clicking" was the only way to access certain options in this particular application. He ended up having to "engineer" a work around which was not true to life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2007 Feb 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.raisingaimee.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=29

This workaround works in a standalone (EXE) file. I was able to use it in place of the html workaround.
I simply swapped out the html right click workaround swf file, then published an exe. It works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2008 Feb 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,
I really liike your effect of the torn edges on the rollover sample. It's a great way to let people know they are only looking at part of a page. What program did you use to do it? Is it a manual process or a preprogrammed effect?
Thanks,
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

Snag-It! Snag-It! Snag-It! Snag-It! Snag-It! Snag-It!

Http://www.SnagIt.com

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have SnagIt 8.2, but I didn't know it does a torn-edge effect! I will definitely take their online features tour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi there

It's almost easier than falling off a log! Capture, then click Effects * Edge Effects * Torn Edge...

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources