5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2012 11:57 AM by George_Johnson

redact - pattern

drop box

I want to define my own text patterns for redaction with Adobe Pro X (using Win 7). The text patterns option is found under Tools/Protection/Search and Remove Text.

Following Web page has related pictures and a link but no help info:

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-9-search-redact-patterns.html

• 1. Re: redact - pattern
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried editing the SearchRedactPatterns.xml file, using the existing entries as a guide? What patterns would you like to add?

• 2. Re: redact - pattern
            drop box Level 1

I have found the file named SearchRedactPatterns.xml (thank you) and I just started trying to make sense the code defining text pattern. (I also need to get rights to modify this file - it's locked.)

I want to add a pattern that fits a pair of numbers (latitude and longitude). The pattern is always a pair, comma and space separate the pair, second number preceeded by negative sign. There are two digits before the decimal point. The number of digits after the decimal points will change - so I guess I define more than one pattern - but even with a single, new pattern fitting the example below, I would have saved myself work and saved myself time.

Example pattern:

36.63, -82.551

• 3. Re: redact - pattern

I haven't tried adding a new pattern yet, but it looks like you should be able to just create a single regular expression for that pattern. If you need more help, and I try it later today.

• 4. Re: redact - pattern
                drop box Level 1

I found a website that explains text searches usin regular expressions (RegEx) -

http://www.Regular-Expressions.info/

Looks like the RegEx code at this "info" website is similar to the text pattern code in the Adobe xml file (SearchRedactPatterns.xml).

I need to match and redact a Lat. and Long. coordinate pair such as:

36.63, -82.551               (fixed length)

36.6nnn, -82.5nnnnn       (variable length)

I want to try my code (untested code - don't know if it is correct), first matching a fixed length pair, second matching variable-length :

<val>(\d\d.\d\d\,\ \-\d\d\.\d\d\d\)</val>

<val>(\d\d\.\[0-9][0-9]{0,4}\,\ \-\d\d\.\[0-9][0-9]{0,6})</val>

• 5. Re: redact - pattern

That second one should be:

<val>(\d{2}\.\d{0,4}, \-\d{2}\.\d{0,6})</val>

Go ahead and try it out.

Edit: fixed mistake