1 2 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 10:12 AM by grandlarge conseil - gl

Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working

glaustin Level 1

Hi Guys

I'm running the CS6 Master Collection on Win7 64bit, which was installed during May.

Today I tried to open a pdf document and although it shows in the browser preview pane, the document would not open. I then found the same trying to open other documents from a folder. I then found the Acrobat application wouldn't open at all either. When I click on it I get the little launch icon (which used to be an egg timer) for a second or two then it stops; I don't even get the splash screen.

Can anyone help me please and tell me how I can get Acrobat to start opening again please (without having to uninstall and reinstall everything if possible)?

Regards,

Graham

• 1. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
          Allta Media Adobe Community Professional

I'm thinking that your problem may be similar to the issue in the discussion titled Acrobat 10 won't start anymore. Here is the solution from that particular post:

For all the users who have faced a problem where Acrobat did not launch after 30 days of serializing with a suite serial number, please execute the following workaround:

1. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
          2. Launch a regular  CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
          3. Click on Help->Deactivate .
          4. Deactivate the application. Quit application.
          5. Launch a regular  CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
          6. Accept Eula.
          7. Register trial by signing in. Let the app launch.
          8. Quit and relaunch the app. Wait for UI to come.
          9. Click on License This Software button on the UI.
          10. Click on Sign in .
          11. Serial number screen will come
          12. Enter the serial number in the serial number screen and click Next.
          13. Quit app and relaunch the app while connected on the internet .

After this if you launch Acrobat it will launch and run forever without trouble. In case you still face a problem , try relaunching the other CS6 app once more and then launch Acrobat.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
            arkaikteammom2 Level 1

I had the same thing just happen.  You are so kind to have posted this... It worked exactly as you said it would & now my Acrobat is working again... Whew.... 

• 3. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
              Melcollette Level 1

Thank you! I just received no help at all with the online support team; I am so glad I found this thread.  Saved me a major headache!

• 4. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                skrantzman Level 1

This worked great for me when I executed this last month as it sure beats uninstalling and reinstalling the entire suite.  The problem is, 30 days later I had to do it again.  Had this happen on both a CS 6 Design and Web Premium as well as CS 6 Design Standard installs on separate brand new PCs with windows 7 professional . 

FYI... These were both download installs.  I am wondering if the DVD install causes the same issue?

• 5. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                  Mark Lumen Level 1

Yes, the DVD isnstall has the same issue.  I just uninstall Acrobat X and reinstall it rather than the whole suite.  All the other software works fine....  Go figure.

• 6. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                    dave_m_k Adobe Employee

This issue has has been resolved.  If you update all of your CS6 applications via the Adobe Application Manager, you shouldn't need to re-activate Acrobat again.

• 7. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                      skrantzman Level 1

Well on the last go around, I did update all the adobe apps, (Acrobat was not in the list) before I deactivated and then reactivated Photoshop to get Acrobat working again.  I guess we will see in about 15 days or so if this indeed fixed the problem.

• 8. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                        Mark Lumen Level 1

I don't have an activation problem.... Acrobat X just quits working altogether. It seems to happen after it updates to 10.0.4 (or something with a '4' in the version). It's the English, French & German update.

I am using CS6 on Windows7 (64 bit) & XP (32 bit) computers. Both systems have this problem. My solution is to uninstall Acrobat and reinstall.  Works for a month or so. All the other suite components seem to work fine. I tried updating with application manager - didn't work on XP system. Jury is still out on W7.

Mark Holman

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE smartphone

• 9. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                          glaustin Level 1

Hi David

Thanks. Following my problem in July I followed the steps and all was fine.

However I just lost Acrobat X on my Laptop (running XP). I lost it a minute or two after I signed-up the little splash screen to help Adobe on Acrobat. I vaguely recall I had just signed-up in July when I lost it on my Win7 machine. Could this be the common cause of this problem?

• 10. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                            skrantzman Level 1

Mark,

Those are the same symptoms that I experience, so it still sounds like the same problem to me.  Mine just stops working (translates to - will not launch) after about a month no matter which version of X I am running.  If it happens again, I bet that if you use this deactivate/activate method, it will start working again without the need to unistall and reinstall Acrobat.  However if David is correct in his comment above we will not have to worry about this again.  As mentioned before, only time will tell.

Steve

• 11. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                              bengineerPE Level 1

I updated everything via the Adobe Application Manager last week.  Today must have been 60 days since I installed CS6 - because Acrobat stopped again.  I just checked for updates now, and Adobe Application Manager tells me all my applications are up to date.  I haven't tried the work around posted by LoriAUC.  Wondering if there will be an Adobe fix?

• 12. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                kritzberg Level 1

Nonsense. Launching the Adobe Application Manager doesn't allow "updating" it only allows Installation, one program at a time, and insists that it's installing a trial version. No way am I going to hose my legitimate installation by writing over it with what the installer thinks is a trial version.

How about a real fix instead of some bull about "updating?"

• 13. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                  Vanir_screen_name Level 1

Looks like they turned the work around into the official FIX. Is there any word on a patch to correct this? We are getting this after exactly 30 days on our installs.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days.html

• 14. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                    springdesigners Level 1

Acrobat X does not display in my Application Manager.

• 15. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                      mtaylor83 Level 1

I just had the same problem, and also Acrobat X didn't display at all in my application manager even after updating the application manager. Sorry

6.David Kastendick, no dice, the issue is NOT resolved.

Deactivating and reactivating my suite fixed the problem, thanks much LoriAUC!

• 16. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                        mickey_18385 Level 1

For some reason, the my Adobe Application Manager seems to think none of my Adobe products are installed.  The application lists "Try" by all applications.  This is in spite of the fact that I have CS6 creative suite (Windows 7) installed.  Thus, the solution to use Applicaiton Manager did not work for me.

However, LoriAUC's solution worked just fine.  Is this something that will have to happen every 30 days?  I would think Adobe could find an update that worked since this problem is certainly reproducible.

• 17. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                          BGibStk Level 1

Thanks for this fix!!!

What a pain in the butt for this to happen; but glad that I have Acrobat working again.

• 18. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                            HojemLane Level 1

I see this is still an issue for people. Was for me, too. Instead of going thru all the BS deactivate/do trial version/bla bla bla, I just reinstalled Acrobat 10 from my CS6 disk. Worked great, except after 30 days (which is today), Acrobat quit working again. So, I have found an even better solution. I nuked Acrobat 10 completely, and reloaded Acrobat 9 (upated to 9.5.2).  Good to go, and besides, I find ver. 9 so much better to work with, and much more user friendly.  And no more Adobe whizzing down my back and tell me its raining, so do this, then that, and also this, and then that.

Adobe here is some advice. Why don't you fix the REAL problem (incompetence and indifference to customers).

• 19. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                              Bill_EG_B Level 1

Nice try!  I did update using Application Manager after initial install of CS 6.  30 days later Acrobat X Pro would not launch.  Worked through the deactivate/reactivate and then update with Application Manager and it lists "try" on all applications except Photoshop.  Everything seems to work but the "try" in Application Manager is worrysome.

• 20. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                klavss Level 1

How to update via Application Manager? I have just a list of Adobe prudocts offering to install trial there. No "update" option anywhere. I'm logged in with my Adobe ID.

• 21. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                  PaulF21 Level 1

Same issue for me, Acrobat 10 just stopped working completely, as if it wasn't even there. Tried Adobe's official advice of "This issue has has been resolved.  If you update all of your CS6 applications via the Adobe Application Manager, you shouldn't need to re-activate Acrobat again." but all applications were already up-to-date.  Tried deactivating through Photoshop and reactivating as in LoriAUC's suggestion (thanks LoriAUC!) and Acrobat is now working normally again.

• 22. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                    ChannelZtheStory Level 1

I was frustated that my Acrobat X Pro has not been working & I had too much going on to deal w/ it. Finally, today I used a patch from Adobe that worked...I can now use my AcrobatX Pro!!!

It was a very simple solution, but I think it only works for those who got AcrobatX pro installed with  CS6.

Below is the solution that worked for me, Link below (hope it works):

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days.html

Good Luck!

edited the link, hope it will work now.

• 23. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                      grndrm Level 1

David, your suggestion to "update all of your CS6 applications via the Adobe Application Manager" does not work. In addition, I inadvertently clicked on the only link I saw for Acrobat and it loaded a trial version of Acrobat XI Pro. Not cool. Now I must unintall that and reinstall version X.

Please provide better help next time. This is a huge waste of time for many I'm sure.

• 24. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                        TerreBritton Level 1

Thanks so much for sharing this info, LoriAUC! Your solution worked like a charm. I join with the others in this thread in gratefulness for saving me hours of frustration. Wishing you an excellent new year!

~Terre

• 25. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                          zimbo000 Level 1

This is still not fixed. I've just had it happen again after apparently "fixing" it a couple of months ago. The Adobe Application Manager "fix" is nothing of the sort, I'm fully up-to-date with all apps and get regular updates online via that process - but Acrobat X bombed out again today. LoriAUC's solution does work - but come on Adobe, fix the damned problem in the code. After all, this has only been happening now for about 7 months...

• 26. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                            kritzberg Level 1

Agreed. Having the product drop dead every few months and force a deactivate/reactivate cycle is preposterous.

Adobe, this is a big black eye and you need to fix it NOW.

• 27. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                              Stakhanoviter Level 1

I've the same issue as of 2/1/2013, running CS6 Design & Web Premium on 64 bit Windows 7.  Acrobat 10.1.5 stopped launching when clicking on a PDF.  And the AAM Registration Notifier Application shows "Try" where it shouldn't.

LoriAUC's solution worked (for now), but I had to back-step and launch the Adobe applications via "Run as Administrator".  I also got an error dialog about registry issues, before launching as administrator.

So Adobe has not fixed this bug in the last 6 months . . .  going on 7 months.  Despite numerous references to it by frustrated customers on Adobe's own Web site.

I suggest that when/if they fix it, they also add some useful error messages to their 'failed validation' routines, so us dweebs get a bit of information about why our  Adobe software has gone AWOL, if they issue becomes unfixed in the future.

• 28. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                MSITSLAN Level 1

I have two machines that this has been happening to and I just applied this "fix" to one of them that stopped working for the second time.  The other one is still working and I am going to run the AcroFix.exe on it before it craps out and see if it changes anything.  And if this so called "fix" doesn't fix either one of the installations after we spent the money on the suite, I WILL be pushing for a FREE upgrade to version 11 because it is causing too many problems and taking up too much of my time and the time for the person using the software and they have less time to waste on this issue than I do.  And I agree with you Stakhanoviter, as much as Adobe engineers put into their software they could at least add something to it for errors so that the user or IT personnel can have something to go on in order to troubleshoot the issue.  I got 21 more days to see if it is fixed.  Expect something from me then. 

• 29. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                  Medus_Anglicus Level 1

The same error occured on my machine, Win 8 64-bit. 30 Days of use and Acrobat no longer worked. The 'fix' did't fix anything; I had to got the reactivation route. My employer paid a hefty sum of money for our licenses; I find it strange that no update has been implemented yet.

• 31. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                    wordsmithssg#1 Level 1

This solved my problem  - but the deactivation didn't take effect right away. The first 2 times I tried to register I got an error message saying my # was invalid... (maybe because we are already using it on a 2nd computer as well?)  After about 15 minutes I tried again and it worked fine.

ADOBE - PLEASE get your act together!

• 32. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                      cloudthumper Level 1

I have had nothing but trouble with Acrobat Pro (any version).

Quit wasting my time with faulty installation/activation problems and fix it!!

Don't apologize, fixt it!!

I don't want to go through this again!!

• 33. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                        JWilliams Level 1

still running into this issue with the current updates as of 3/17/14. The work around gets it back up for me...but still stupid this still hasn't been fixed in almost 2 years.

• 34. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                          springdesigners Level 1

Same here. Upgraded to a new computer a couple of months ago and 30 days later couldn't figure out why Acrobat wouldn't launch. I had forgotten all about this issue (since Nov 2012 when I initially experienced this problem!) but after searching, I found myself back here. It seems pretty clear to me that Adobe is not interested in its non CC customers.

• 35. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                            percompllc Level 1

Awesome! Worked like a charm!

• 36. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                              davidhbrown Level 1

"The issue has been resolved." Hah! Fortunately, the deactivate/reactivate method is still working. In honor of the latest Unicode release,  U+1F4A9 on you Adobe.

• 37. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                                amanda ahuvah Level 1

Thank you Lori for the solution. I followed your steps and Acrobat works again! My files kept opening automatically in Adobe Reader although I set the properties to open in PRo, so I just uninstalled it from my computer. Now they open automatically in Acrobat Pro.

Muchas Gracias!!

Amanda Ahuvah

• 38. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                                  Sansara Studio Level 1

BIG Thanks for this info!

• 39. Re: Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working
                                                                                    AlecFranklin Level 1

Many thanks all working again. Still needed to use the above work around as of today 21 Oct 2014 .

1 2 Previous Next