3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 12:25 PM by Dan Bracuk

GetDSN from other method

kt03 Level 1

Hi,

can some one tell me how to call the dsn from other method within the same cfc.

this getDSN method return me the correct dsn that i declared from application.cfm.

<cffunction name="GetDSN" access="public"  output="false"    hint="Gets the DSN">

<cfargument name="dsn" required="yes">

<cfreturn this />

</cffunction>

how can i get the dsn from above method.  What i have is not working..........

<cffunction name="findDupicate" output="no" access="public" returntype="query">

<cfargument name="form" required="yes" type="struct">   

<cfquery name="check_duplicate" datasource="#GetDSN#">

SELECT voucherNo

FROM voucher

WHERE voucherNo= <cfqueryparam value="#arguments.form.voucher#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" />

</cfquery>

<cfreturn check_duplicate>

</cffunction>

Thanks

• 1. Re: GetDSN from other method
          Adam Cameron. Level 5

Two things that immediately spring to mind.

getDsn() is misnamed, or does the wrong thing.  It doesn't return a DSN, it returns the entire object (return this).

I your CFQUERY tag you're not calling getDsn(), you're just using it as a value, eg: "getDsn" is a reference to the method itself, but "getDsn()" is actually CALLING the method.

Oh a third thing: something called getDsn() would not normally take an argument that is the very thing it is supposedly getting.  IE: why is getDsn() taking an argument of dsn?  It should be RETURNING the DSN name, not having it passed into it.

--

Adam

• 2. Re: GetDSN from other method
            kt03 Level 1

the reason i have have argument because it was set in application.cfm page.

<cfobject type="component" name="request.voucher" component="#request.cfc#.voucher">

<cfset variables.dsn = request.voucher.GetDSN(#DBSource#) />

i have try calling getDSN(), but got this and don't know what to pass it in?

The DSN parameter to the GetDSN function is required but was not passed in.

• 3. Re: GetDSN from other method
              Dan Bracuk Level 5

You may be overengineering things.  If variables.dsn is set in your application.cfm file, you should be able to simply use that variable in your cfquery tag.