Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing HTML Screws Up Source Code

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using RoboHelp 8 under Windows 7. I use Dreamweaver to edit topics.

I have been extracting stuff from a database and converting it to HTML for use in our help system's glossary. I'm not using the RoboHelp glossary; it's too limited. Our glossary is just a giant topic with about 1800 terms. Each term begins with a named anchor tag.

We hope to map to these terms from the Web application we're developing.

After I extract the data, I have a source HTML file that looks like something like this:

<a name="Alarm Activation Time"/>

<h4>Alarm Activation Time</h4>

<blockquote>

<p/>

</blockquote>

<h6>Configurable Values</h6>

<blockquote>

<p/>

</blockquote>

<h6>TL1 Keyword</h6>

<blockquote>

<p>AAT</p>

</blockquote>

<h6>TL1 Keyword Values </h6>

<blockquote>

<p/>

</blockquote>

<h6>Name</h6>

<blockquote>

<p>Alarm Activation Time</p>

</blockquote>

After importing it into RoboHelp, it gets turned into this:

</a> <a name="Alarm Activation Time"></a>

<h4><a name="Voided Warranty" style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline; ">Alarm

Activation Time</a></h4>

<blockquote>

<p>&#160;</p>

</blockquote>

<h6><a name="Voided Warranty" style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline; ">Configurable

Values</a></h6>

<blockquote>

<p>&#160;</p>

</blockquote>

<h6><a name="Voided Warranty" style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline; ">TL1

Keyword</a></h6>

<blockquote>

<p><a name="Voided Warranty" style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline; ">AAT</a></p>

</blockquote>

<h6><a name="Voided Warranty" style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline; ">TL1

Keyword Values</a></h6>

<blockquote>

<p>&#160;</p>

</blockquote>

<h6><a name="Voided Warranty" style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline; ">Name</a></h6>

<blockquote>

<p><a name="Voided Warranty" style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline; ">Alarm

Activation Time</a></p>

</blockquote>

<a name="Voided Warranty" style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline; "><br />

RoboHelp tries to insert the first named anchor in the document ("Voided Warranty") into every single section.

I've tried creating an empty topic and pasting in code. RoboHelp still tries to auto-bookmark everything.

Can I disable this behavior?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Ahhhh, okay. That makes more sense.

When folks use something like Dreamweaver in conjunction with RoboHelp, they normally don't open the topics in the RoboHelp WYSIWYG editor. They only do that in Dreamweaver. As you have seen, when RoboHelp opens a topic page, it becomes like a four year old that wants to be "helpful" and often messes up what you don't want messed up. LOL

So if folks use Dreamweaver, they abandon any help that RoboHelp offers such as adding Related Topics controls, Placeholders a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are these topics being opened at all in the RoboHelp WYSIWYG editor? If not, this is the first I've ever heard of an HTML file being modified by simply being part of a project. Well, other than the output file being different. The process of generating WebHelp, FlashHelp or AIR Help will modify the topics and HTML.

So are you seeing this in source or output?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the source and output after RoboHelp does it's thing.

I'm touching the file with the WYSIWYG editor after creating it in Dreamweaver. It's easier to write in this mode. I guess that's when RoboHelp tries to get clever. The transformation happens as soon as I open the file in the WYSIWYG editor.

For some reason, Dreamweaver CS3 won't display the file in its own Design mode.

Also, the transformation freezes RoboHelp. I have to kill the process and restart.

Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh, okay. That makes more sense.

When folks use something like Dreamweaver in conjunction with RoboHelp, they normally don't open the topics in the RoboHelp WYSIWYG editor. They only do that in Dreamweaver. As you have seen, when RoboHelp opens a topic page, it becomes like a four year old that wants to be "helpful" and often messes up what you don't want messed up. LOL

So if folks use Dreamweaver, they abandon any help that RoboHelp offers such as adding Related Topics controls, Placeholders and the like.

Sorry, nothing to suggest here for me other than to suggest either sticking totally with Dreamweaver and never opening topics in RoboHelp WYSIWYG, or converting everything so only RoboHelp edits topics.

You might consider filing a Wish Form with Adobe to report as a bug or whatever. (Link to the form is in my sig)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Rick!

I will just make sure that I don't open this topic in the WYSIWYG after I nail down the content. I'll also request a "please don't try to help me, WYSIWYG" checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp