8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2012 3:21 PM by 74designer RSS

Not able to re-install acrobat

74designer Community Member

I downloaded Acrobat X. Each time I opened Acrobat the program would crash. I decided to unistall my older copy of Acrobat and unistall Acrobat X. Then the plan is to re-install Acrobat X. However, Adobe Application Manager still  says that Acrobat X has been installed. Any idea on how I reset that so I can download Acrobat X again to see if can correct this crashing.

Running Mac OS 10.6

Thanks

• 1. Re: Not able to re-install acrobat
          Steve Werner CommunityMVP

Did you "uninstall" Acrobat by dragging it to the Trash, or did you run the Acrobat Uninstaller application?

• 2. Re: Not able to re-install acrobat

I used the uninstaller in the Acrobat X folder.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Not able to re-install acrobat
              Manish-Sharma Employee Hosts

Go to Mac HD/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers   , uninstall the Acrobat and  then check in the AAM.

• 4. Re: Not able to re-install acrobat
                zebra Community Member

I am having the same problem. Everytime a pdf is launched - acrobat crashes. I used the Acrobat uninstaller and uninstalled Acrobat X - opened AAM to reinstall only to find that it tells me Acrobat X is "installed" - tried to download it from Adobe's site from "My Apps" and AAM pops back up to tell me Ax is already installed - then looking in my Applications folder on my HD I see teh Adobe Acrobat X Pro folder and ONLY a shortcut to Acrobat X Uninstaller is inside the folder.

Adobe Tech support is lame and usually a waste of time - can anyone in this forum offer a means to re install Acrobat X Pro?

• 5. Re: Not able to re-install acrobat
                  Manish-Sharma Employee Hosts

check the link:- forums.adobe.com/message/4491554

• 6. Re: Not able to re-install acrobat
                    zebra Community Member

Manish-Sharma - thank you for the quick reply - are there similar instruction for a MAC? The instruction posted to the link you shared is for windows OS.  Thank you.

• 7. Re: Not able to re-install acrobat
                      zebra Community Member

On the Mac, in the applications folder are CS6 apps downloaded from Creative Cloud, and inside each products folder is that products uninstaller. That is the uninstaller I used the first time to remove Acrobat X Pro.

After removal by that means, Acrobat Application Manager was still verifying that my removed app was still installed. There was no way to reinstall (Acrobat).

What I was told by the chat tech I chatted with was to got to Applications > Utilities > Adobe Installers Which is from where he recomended I do all my uninstalls.

So, from there I clicked on Acrobat X Pro and followed the screen instructions.

When I then launched Adobe Application Manager, teh Install button next to Acrobat was active and I was able to reinstall Acrobat.

Because after removing a previous version of CS, my photoshop CS6 app was announcing a missing file and that I needed to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop - more an annoyance than an actual necssity since Photoshop CS6 was working fine despite the notification window alerting me to a missing file Photoshop needed to operate... Since the uninstall and reinstall of Acrobat went so well, I followed suit with Photoshop CS6, removing it from the Applications > Utilities > Adobe Installers folder. When I launched AAM, the install next to Photoshop was available. I downloaded it and intalled ... everything is working fine.

• 8. Re: Not able to re-install acrobat

It has been busy around here. a while getting back to this.

I finally unistalled per the instruction above which worked. I re-installed Acrobat. No improvement. The app launches. Once I try to create a new PDF or a new file it shuts down.

I read a post on the web that Acrobat can have issues with fonts on your system. Did anyone have this issue and correct it via Font clean up or something?

Take Care.