Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

deactivate hyperlinks in chm during runtime

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2006 Nov 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

does someone now if it is possible to deactivate hyperlinks to the internet in an existing chm file (perhaps via an ini-file or javascript etc.)? I am using Robohelp X5.

Thanks for ideas,

Nicole

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nicole. If you have access to the help file source, is there a reason why you can't just remove the hyperlink URL? You could use a build tag to have both a linked and unlinked web address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

the idea is not to change the software package and to deny the internet access only to a certain range of users.

Regards,

Nicole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicole,

Can you provide more details so we can work out the logic of this request.

I guess the first question is why do you need to do this? Are you denying access to the internet for specific users OR do you just need to block specific users from accessing the internet via the .chm file? And is this for all .chm files on their PC or just one specific help file? Is the help system being accessed via an application?

These access permissions may be better served by restrictions set up by the IT department or the calling applicatoin than via the help file. Either way, we need to know exactly what you are trying to achieve.

many thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig,

of course I can provide more details:

We got a request from a customer (mulitple licenses) if it is possible to deny within the software and the chm to connect to the internet.
At the moment I assume that it's only for our software (secuity software) because I have no further information on this issue.

Our aim is to build one software package for all customers. And only this special customer can use this installation with command-line parameter/special ini-file etc. to deny the internet access.

For the application there is no problem to deny access to the internet ( via command line parameter/special ini-file). The only question is how to handle the chm-file because we want to use the original chm file which inculdes links to the internet.

I hope this helps a little bit...

Thank you for your help!

Nicole

..I am sorry my english is not as good as it should be...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nicole. I'd echo Craig's thoughts and suggest this would be best controlled by the network administrators and the access permissions they set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nicole and don't worry about your english at all, it is now very clear what you need to achieve.

If you are talking about just a few links, then I would go back to Columns original suggestion and provide a tailored version for this 'special' client. In the tailored version rip out the external URL Links (using conditional tags) and then ship that version to the client.

If you have a lot of links then you probably need to progress with the script option or work with your developers ot see if they have any ideas.

Hopefully when our forum friends on the other side of hte Pacific ocean wake up they may have some ideas to help you with this script or perhaps changing IE settings. The problem with the .chm is that once it is compiled, everything is neatly wrapped up and hard to modify. If you were shipping the webhelp format running a script on the output would be somewhat easier.

Sorry I cannot offer better advice at this point.
Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig,

quote:

If you are talking about just a few links, then I would go back to Columns original suggestion and provide a tailored version for this 'special' client. In the tailored version rip out the external URL Links (using conditional tags) and then ship that version to the client.

I work a lot with CBTs but in this case it's not possible to ship only a version for the client.

quote:

If you have a lot of links then you probably need to progress with the script option or work with your developers ot see if they have any ideas.

The script option is a good idea. But I'm not used to work with this option, so you're right. I will wait for further help from the other side of the Pacific ocean... or perhaps changing IE settings - how?

Thank you very much!

Nicole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

I already argued like this, but this is the requirement...

Nicole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further information:
It's also possible via registry key (set during installation) to decide wether to allow a connection to the internet or not .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicole,

Isn't the main issue that you ONLY want to restrict internet access from this single .chm file? If you start messing with registry setting or IE settings that will have an affect all access to the internet? Or does this client restrict all external internet access for their users?

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Craig,

the main issue is to restrict internet access for only this single .chm file. If this solution is absolutely not to realize I can make suggestion to solve it via IE settings or proxy.
I have talked to our sales guy and he will contact our customer to receive further details...

Kind regards,

Nicole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp