12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 2:13 AM by Liam Dilley RSS

IPS Tags?

Cathie_live

How do I find the IPS for transferring a domain name to my Muse site? I need to transfer an existing domain name from a client's current site to the one I've just designed in Muse. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cathie

• 1. Re: IPS Tags?
          Sidney Mitchell Adobe Employee

Hi Cathie,

You do not need an IPS Tag when applying a domain to Muse or BC - that is only required if you are transferring the domain name to a different registrar.

What you need to do is set the name Servers for your domain.

These should be set to -

ns1.worldsecuresystems.com - primary DNS server

ns2.worldsecuresystems.com - secondary DNS server

ns3.worldsecuresystems.com – optional tertiary DNS server

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/business-catalyst/using/change-site-domain.html

Kind regards,

-Sidney

• 2. Re: IPS Tags?
            Cathie_live Community Member

Thanks Sidney,

My concern is that I need to transfer the hosting of the site I'm creating for my client from her current host to BC. I have been told I need the IPS if I am to do that. Is that right?

My client set up a site through Mr Site, and purchased her domain name through them. I want to change the hosting of the Muse site that I have designed for her, to BC. Mr Site are saying they cannot release the domain name until they have the IPS for the new host. I've not done any of this before so it's all a bit confusing.

Does this make any sense to you? Help!

Cheers,

Cathie

• 3. Re: IPS Tags?
              Sidney Mitchell Adobe Employee

All that is needed is for you to update the NS record from where the domain was purchased.  No transferring is needed just the updating of the DNS records to have it reflect the NS record provided above. 

Please let the registrar know that you only want to update the DNS not transfer the domain.  If they have any questions please post their response here so we can clarify further.

Kind regards,

-Sidney

• 4. Re: IPS Tags?

Thanks Sidney,

I mistakenly wrote two posts about this and have had a swift tap on the wrist for doing so. Sorry about that. I meant to delete this one, but quite glad I didn't because your reply has been more helpful (Sorry Liam, I'm new to webdesign and finding it a rather steep learning curve - a bit frustrating for people who know a lot about it I'm sure).

So to make sure I have this clear... I need to update the DNS record with BC and let the people who my client bought the domain name from that I'm not actually transferring the it, just updating the DNS. I'l give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it. The reason I'm using Muse is because the coding side of things baffles me a bit, as does this part of the process. I'm sure once I learn how to do it I'll be fine.

Cheers,

Cathie

• 5. Re: IPS Tags?
                  Liam Dilley MVP

Not a slap on the rist Cathie, just advise

Yep your more aloing the right lines now. Question though is that if they have email and want to keep that running your just wanting to point what is called the A record to BC.

SO your only pointing the web traffic in a new place and keeping emails as is if this is the case.

• 6. Re: IPS Tags?

Thanks Liam, I appreciated what you were saying, I just felt a bit silly for writing two posts about the same thing, hence the slap on the wrist comment. As I said I meant to delete one of them. At least I managed to get advice from two of you! That was a bonus.

I'm getting there, I'v just spoken to Mr Site and they have changed the DNS records, but I think I need to know if the A records need changing too. I tried to open the site that I've created and it still goes to the old site so I guess there's still something not quite right. Mr Site are going to host the domain, but I guess that BC are actually hosting the site, so is there anything other than the DNS that I need to change so that the domain now points to the BC servers?

Sometimes I think I should just stick to print based work, but nothing quite like a good challenge is there. Once I've cracked this and actually understand it, I'm sure it'll be easy.

Cheers,

Cathie

• 7. Re: IPS Tags?
                      Liam Dilley MVP

Itis one or the other Cathie.

You either send all traffic to your BC site emails and all OR you just do the A-Records. Do you have emails under that domain?

When domain changes they take some time. If it is a .com it can take up to 24 hours and some will see a change while others cant as ISP's update their DNS caches. Local country domains can be a few hours.

Plenty of partners out there to get in touch with who can do the web side of things for/with you when that comes up for a job.

• 8. Re: IPS Tags?

HI Liam,

Thanks again, I'll be a bit more patient and wait to see if the site I created is linked soon. With regard to the emails, do you mean if there is an email address linked to the contact form in the site? I created a form using JotForm.com and embedded it into the Muse site. If that has my client's email address linked to it, is there anything else I need to do?

I appreciate your patience. If you can get me through this, I'll be extremely grateful. It's the first site I've created with Muse and I want to make sure I get it right, for my client's sake obviously, but also for my own credibility.

Thanks,

Cathie

• 9. Re: IPS Tags?
                          Liam Dilley MVP

No, I mean is there any emails .... you@yoursitedomain.com ?

• 10. Re: IPS Tags?

Um no, don't think so. Sorry, I know this is frustrating. Does that mean there isn't anything else I need to do? The only email that I've used for the contact form is my client's home email address. There isn't a specific one linked to that domain name. (That's something else I need to learn about.)

I feel pretty stupid and realise how frustrating this must be for you guys.

Would it help if you could have a look at the Whois entry for this site? It's beautyofbeads.co.uk

Cathie

• 11. Re: IPS Tags?

Hi Liam,

I'm on the verge of crying here! This is really doing my head in. I've just looked at my page where the website is and when I click on manage and then on the website name to open it in another window, it now goes to my client's old site - my new one isn't there at all. Why is this proving to be so difficult? Help!

Cathie

• 12. Re: IPS Tags?
                                Liam Dilley MVP

You can wait for support to help more Cathie but if you really struggling and do not mind private message me the login details for your site and for the domain hosting account you have with Mr Site. I will try see what I can do on saturday for you