• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Programmers editing the output files.

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using Flash Help with RoboHelp 7. Because there has been no technical writer working for this company for some time, the programmers have been directly editing the .htm files to update the help files. I am a recent hire and have been able to track down the source files, but of course the recent edits made by the developers are not in those source files. Importing the output files that have been edited causes huge problems. Any thoughts as to how I can fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Peter Grainge's site (www.grainge.org<http://www.grainge.org>) and look for "reverse engineering" - a painful process awaits ;<(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. I was afraid of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another method you could try (if the source files haven't been polluted by the output files, I forget if you said they had been or not) is to generate a new batch of help (which won't have the updated topics) and compare them to the edited output help files to see where the diffs are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source files are good. And I have done as you suggested and just eyeball compared the files. There is just no easy or quick way to do this. On the plus side it will keep me busy for months!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This may not be as bad as it seems. What I would do is to examine the topics in the existing setup. Look at them using Windows Explorer. Specifically, I would sort them by date with newest on top. This should list the "last touched" files. I'd then import them into RoboHelp and just clean out the added scripting. It's really not as daunting as it looks.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that suggestion. I will do just that. The only problem is that there are hundreds of files to sift through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are programs out there that will compare 2 text files and output the differences for you. They can usually be batched to chew through a bunch of files at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, How about Ultra Edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never really needed to use one, but I think you'd want something like UltraCompare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

In thinking this through a bit, I'm wondering if there really is any value in using a file compare utility.

Here's why.

It sounds to me as if the developers have simply been amending the existing output files. Output files are fundamentally different from source files because the process of generating WebHelp modifies each file to include gobs of references to different javascript coding that makes WebHelp work.

So if you are comparing the output files against the source files, each and every file in the project will indicate changes, no? Maybe the help system has 600 topics. Over time, the developers "touched" only 100. Thus you only need to identify the changes in those 100 files. But the file compare utility will list all 600 as having been changed.

Something to think about... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. good point. I think I will just search out the newest files and

visually compare them. Thanks so much for your information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No Rick, my suggestion was to take the original source files in the RH project, generate help & then compare that "original unedited" help content to the "new edited" help content that the programmers messed around with. Hopefully, only the diffs in content would be seen because they both originated from the same source files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp