Just do a Save As with the correct extension typed explicitely ie. McDonalds2_20.mp3. Should then reset the file extension.
I am having the exact same issue, and what ryclark suggested does not fix it. Except somehow MP3s got associated with WAVs on mine, so when you go to save an MP3, it defaults to .wav. Highly annoying.
I'm having the exact same issue as well. Our production machine at the radio station is running Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP. We have been using the exact same software and machine for the past 3 years without any errors. All of our files are saved as Windows PCM (.wav) files but today the .mp3 file type is associated with Windows PCM. The only work around I have found so far is typing the filename with the extension when saving but the process is WAY too time consuming to continue doing with the amount of clips that we process daily.
Does anybody have a more permanent work around to this issue besides including the file extension in the name when saving?
Retyping it once is a permanent fix - unless of course you have people overwriting this by getting it wrong again...
This isn't actually an Audition problem - it's related very much to the way Windows handles file saving.
1 person found this helpful
I Fixed this problem by modifying registry.
Went into registry and found this
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Exported this part of registry for a backup, then I deleted all the ext/filters/ with the mp3 numbers
so in my example I deleted keys,
I opened up Audtion 1.5 and Windows PCM had only *.wav instead of wav and mp3...
Created a new file and saved as mp3 and as wav
rechecked the registry and saw recreated the optext18 and optext14 along with matching filter and filter outs with the only value changing being
so it's possible that changing that one key could have fixed it. but I don't want to break it again to test..
I have had this same problem (*.mp3,*.wav) a few times over the years on my XP system with Audition 3.0 but so few and far between I always forget WHAT fixes it which bought me to this thread tonight. I tried a few suggestions other than messing with the registry and suddenly remembered what has fixed it before and I SHUT DOWN MY COMPUTER and restart it and... like MAGIC, the mp3 association is back to what it is suppoosed to be!
Don't know if this will work for anyone else but just wanted to offer this option for those of us that will spend HOURS looking for answers before trying (as my son the IT guy says) the OBVIOUS FIRST STEP! LOL
Messing with the registry (well, the Audition entries anyway) doesn't actually fix anything to do with this, especially when it comes to wav files. One of the problems here is that it's perfectly possible to save an mp3 file with a .wav extension quite legally - it can act as a container. The only fix that's ever been necessary has been to save the file with the correct extension typed in - this puts this extension at the head of the list again in the 'save as' options and re-establishes it as the default for that type. This is what you have to do if you mistype the extension too - otherwise the mistyped version always comes up as the default; just type it again correctly next time you save.
Thanks mattbeard105, Your answer fixed the issue. Manually typing .mp3 at the end of the file name while saving worked that for that file only, but did not change the default.