23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 8:26 AM by gbergan52 RSS

Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

gbergan52 Community Member

Hi folks,

I've got a spry navigation menu with drop-down submenus that show up fine on my desktop computer, but do not show on the iPad. I've used DW CS4 to build the site. Is there an elegant way to fix this using my current version? Or, do subsequent versions have a better fix for this? I'd upgrade if I knew it would help deal with this issue. The site is www.gcssepm.org. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gail

• 1. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad
          Ben Pleysier MVP

Apart from the fact that you are using and old version of Spry, even with the newer version that can be found here, you will not be able to use the menu bar with a touch screen unless you do not have a link on the main menu item.

For a different Spry Menu that can be used on touch screens, have a look here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/628126

Gramps

• 2. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Gramps,

Just to clarify (and I will check out the links you referred me to) you said the spry menu bar won’t work on a touch screen unless there is NOT a link at the top-most menu items? In other words if they act as titles only, the spry menu would work? (sorry, double negatives always confuse me!)

Gail

• 3. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad
              Ben Pleysier MVP

That is correct, if they are titles then the Spry menu will work.

If you want to take that path, I would consider upgrading to Spry 1.6.1

Gramps

• 4. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Another question I hope you don’t mind answering. I broke down and did the upgrade to CS6, which has Spry 1.6. I’ve migrated my site to CS6 as well. Does this migration update the Spry menu bar when it opens my files, or do I have to delete the menu entirely and rebuild with the new version of Spry, in order to work on touch screens? Thanks for your help,

Gail

Gail R. Bergan, President

Bergan et al., Inc.

413 So. Church St.

Rockport, TX 78382

361-727-2343

www.bergan.com

www.google.com/profiles/gailbergan7

www.linkedin.com/pub/gail-bergan/30/aa6/391

• 5. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad
                  Ben Pleysier MVP

Gail,

1. Leave the markup as is and delete the support files in the SpryAssets folder (SpryMenuBar.js and SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css)
                  2. Create a new document called junk.html (or similar), place a SpryMenuBar in the new document and follow the instructions. This will place the new version of the support files in the SpryAssets folder.
                  3. Delete junk.html.

Done.

Gramps

• 6. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad
                    Scott - Columbus, OH Community Member

Gail,

You are following the same path as I did but I grabbed Spry Menubar 2.0 (which is version 1.7) from the Widget Browser.  What you will likely find is that if you have a rather complex submenu, then the menu will not function correctly in IE8 or IE9.  I understand that it does work correctly in FireFox.

I contacted Adobe support and they have not yet been able to provide me with a solution.  They said that it was a new bug.

To see the problem, click on the following link and scroll up and down on the Boys Results selection.

http://gerberanalytics.com/tennis/tennis_header_test.php

It may initially appear to work but it will eventually stop working as you move up and down quickly.

I thought that I was home free after converting a simple menu, but then I discovered this problem...

Regards,

Scott

• 7. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

I also called Adobe tech support yesterday. The response I got was “we can’t support iPad issues because the resolution changes with each version of iPad.” Now, what resolution has to do with Spry menu functioning, I have no idea, but I don’t buy it.

Gail

• 8. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Well, I did all that, but unfortunately it didn’t fix the problem. I reuploaded my site, including support files, to my server, and the dropdown menus still don’t work on the iPad. I tried calling Adobe tech support yesterday and they were no help whatsoever: “we don’t support iPad issues.” This is pretty frustrating.

Gail

Gail R. Bergan, President

Bergan et al., Inc.

413 So. Church St.

Rockport, TX 78382

361-727-2343

www.bergan.com

www.google.com/profiles/gailbergan7

www.linkedin.com/pub/gail-bergan/30/aa6/391

• 9. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

I just checked Adobe.com and their site doesn't work with an iPad either.  Click on Products or Solutions in their horizontal menubar and it will not show the submenus...

If Adobe can't program their own site correctly, my guess is that I am not going to get a very quick solution.  Does anyone have an alternative to Spry?  This was one of the main reasons why I upgraded from CS4 to CS6 and I'm not a happy camper.

• 10. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad
                            Ben Pleysier MVP

Scott,

Asking someone that already has problems with a different version of a SpryMenuBar makes no sense at all. The OP uses the original SpryMenuBar and you use the UI SpryMenuBar.

In the meantime have a look at the JS and ask yourself why you left

enableHoverNavigation: true,

when a touch screen does not recognise a hover event. Normally one would leave the JS file in tact and change the value in the constructor.

If you need more assistance, please start a new topic.

Gramps

• 11. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Gramps,

As a followup to this email, I did notice that after I upgraded and went through the process you suggested in the Spry Assets folder, I tried to set my main menu items to titles only (no links—so that it will work on an iPad) and the updated version of Spry won’t let me do this. When I delete the link, it keeps giving me an error dialog message (“please insert a link”) and reverts back to the link that was there. I have seen in other places that it is considered poor site design to have menu items that are mere titles only…is this maybe why it doesn’t allow it?

I’m beginning to think I’m just going to have to redesign some of my pages to have duplicate navigation links so that regardless of what device people are working on, they can get around my site.

Gail

• 12. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Gramps,

I am finding the versions to be confusing. CS4 used Spry 1.4.  I thought that CS6 would contain the latest and greatest code, but it is apparently Spry 1.6.  Spry's latest offering is 1.7, which I downloaded via the Widget Browser, but it is referred to online as Spry Menubar 2.0. 

Thank you for the suggestion.  I will try it, but please note that all of my code (except for the code specific to my application) was generated by the Spry Menubar Widget so this should be "official" code.

I have not heard back from the Adobe support team in India.  I'll check with them tomorrow.

Regards,

Scott

• 13. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Here is an update from Adobe Support:

Rajesh: Hello. Welcome to Adobe Technical Support.

Rajesh: My Name is Rajesh How Can I help you ?

Scott: Can you please tell me about the status of my question? It is case number 18343 8899

Rajesh: I have received your query. Please allow me a moment to verify your account and to review the details of your request.

Scott: ok

Rajesh: I'll be right with you.

Rajesh: Sorry for the wait. Please do stay online.

Rajesh: well am sorry for the delay

Scott: will do. thanks.

Rajesh: The Case is escalated to our Senior Technician and then are working on the issue.

Scott: Any ideas on when to expect a solution?

Scott: I need iPads to work but I can't do that and cause my IE8 and IE9 customers to have problems.

Rajesh: Well It will be difficult for me to predict, but let me check if i can get some information on it.

Rajesh: well sorry for the delay Scott

Rajesh: Well once a case is being escalated to our Senior Technician then it approximately takes 48-72 hrs depending on the complexity of the issue.

Scott: Thanks, Rajesh. This has been an issue in the Adobe support forum and I will forward this information to them as well. Have a good day.

Rajesh: well am sorry about this situation. But thank you for you co-operation

Rajesh: Thank you for contacting Adobe. Good Bye.

Scott: bye

Again, this deals with Spry 1.7, which is the most recent release.

• 14. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Scott,

If this weren't so sad it would be quite funny! It's pretty much the same as my experience.

Gramps, regarding the link you sent me to access the Adobe labs to download the latest Updater extension, I also did that and tried to install it. It informed me that it wouldn't install on my version of DW. I seemed to be stymied at every turn. Surely someone has solved this issue! I do appreciate your many attempts to help, however.

Gail

• 15. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad
                                      Ben Pleysier MVP

@Gail,

I am confused, in your first post you said

I've used DW CS4 to build the site

This DWCS4 does have Spry version 1.6.1, yet your web site shows that you have implemented Spry version 1.4. I wonder where you got that older version, certainly not from DW CS4.

Then you go on to say

I broke down and did the upgrade to CS6, which has Spry 1.6

It is true that DW CS6 has Spry version 1.6.1, hence there is no need to further upgrade.

Fact is that the online site still shows Spry version 1.4. I have shown you how to upgrade the local site to Spry version 1.6.1. These new files must then be uploaded to make any difference to the online site.

@Scott

You are confusing the issue even more with your interruptions. You are using a different Spry Menu Bar and your problems have nothing to do with the OP's problems. Please start your own topic with your problems if you want assistance. Also, I do not give a crack about your dealings with others that you have asked for assistance. Place a straight forward question and you will get a straight forward answer.

Gramps

• 16. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

That’s odd – I did in fact build the initial site in CS4, but recently upgraded to CS6 and (I thought) uploaded the updated files. As far as the older version of spry, I don’t recall using anything different than what shipped with CS4. Let me try to reupload my entire site and see if it overwrites the files as it is supposed to.

Thanks,

Gail

• 17. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

As a followup: I just reuploaded my site, and it now shows (on my desktop) that I’m using Spry Pre-Release 1.6.1 for both the SpryMenuBar.js and SpryMenuBarVertical.css. These files must have been skipped in my last sync. However, even with this newest release, I’m not getting a hover effect on the iPad. Am I supposed to? Or should I just abandon this whole effort and find another way to skin this cat?

Gail

• 18. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad
                                            Ben Pleysier MVP

Your online version, the one I can see, does not show the latest version as in http://www.gcssepm.org/SpryAssets/SpryMenuBar.js

Also, I repeat my first answer in this post

Apart from the fact that you are using and old version of Spry, even with the newer version that can be found here, you will not be able to use the menu bar with a touch screen unless you do not have a link on the main menu item.

For a different Spry Menu that can be used on touch screens, have a look here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/628126

A touch screen does not recognise a hover event no matter what you do.

Gramps

• 19. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Gramps,

Sorry, I saw Gail going down the same path as I was (1.4, 1.6, 1.7) and I thought I might be able to save her time. 

Scott

• 20. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Gramps,

I have followed the link you provided below to the Widget Browser (I assume this is the same browser available in CS6?) and I chose the Spry Menu Bar 2.0 widget. I configured it to match my site (to be safe, I’m testing it on my personal site – www.bergan.com – rather than my client site of www.gcssepm.org). I placed the new spry menu into my site template and everything seems to be functioning properly (mind you, I haven’t uploaded anything yet). My question is – how do I incorporate this into my existing files? Because when I opened my index.html and chose Modify > Template > Apply Template to Page, it really scrambled up the entire layout. I assume it’s because my old spry css stuff is in there in addition to the new stuff. How do I clear out the old spry menu from my existing files, since they are tied to a template? I’m sorry if this seems an obvious question but it’s late in the day on Friday and I’m a bit fried…

Thanks for your guidance,

Gail

• 22. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Gramps, and others:

After about a week of struggling with this, I finally, finally have a drop-down menu that shows up both on my desktop computer as well as my iPad! I had already found the link you mentioned above, but where I was having problems was applying the new menu bar to my other pages. The first time I attempted it, it scrambled my entire layout, as I mentioned. After a weekend of giving it a rest, it worked perfectly today. The new working menu bar can be seen on my own business web site www.bergan.com. Now that I've got it working there, I will try it on my client site.

Thank you for staying with me and all your patient guidance,

Regards,

Gail

• 23. Re: Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

I forgot to mention - even though it's working on the iPad, it's still a bit buggy. You have to click on the top level menu item two or three times before the drop-down finally shows up. But luckily because there's an arrow there, you know that a submenu exists.

Gail