15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2012 6:43 AM by conroy RSS

Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.

conroy Community Member

One can stroke a Path with the Brush Tool, Pencil Tool, Burn Tool, etc., which affects pixels of a targeted pixel Layer.

Shapes can have solid colour strokes, gradient strokes and pattern strokes which are part of the Shape definition.

Am I alone in thinking that it would be useful for Shapes to be able to have their stroke defined as a Brush (and possibly other tools) which doesn't change the pixels of another Layer, and instead remains an editable property of the Shape's appearance?

• 1. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.
          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

Have you considered the complexity of a Brush stroke?

Brush strokes may consist of hundreds (or more) randomized dabs of a Brush tip and to ensure editability on another machine where the Brush Preset may be missing it would have to be included in the document in some form.

But you can post a feature request over at

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

• 2. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.
            Noel Carboni Community Member

That's always seemed like missing functionality to me.

Imagine wanting to make a path, for example, a signature, then turn that path into a kind of "line" object with just a stroke.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.

Well, the new Strokes still seem to fall short with more than one unclosed Path in a Vector Mask …

• 4. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.
                conroy Community Member

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

Have you considered the complexity of a Brush stroke?

Brush strokes may consist of hundreds (or more) randomized dabs of a Brush tip and to ensure editability on another machine where the Brush Preset may be missing it would have to be included in the document in some form.

I think you're massively overcomplicating matters.

If you stroke a Path with a Brush or other tool, you're not making any "randomized dabs" - you're giving a single instruction. I'm not expecting to be able to attach a recording of a user dabbing at the canvas onto a Shape! My suggestion is only for a Brush (or other tool) definition to be attached to a Shape's stroke, remain editable, and determine the appearance of the Shape instead of changing pixels of other layers.

• 5. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.

I believe Christoph is thinking about a full solution, where ANYTHING you could do by stroking a path into pixels could be "virtualized" into a stroke done by Photoshop at layer compositing time.

Imagine this, for example:

StrokePath1..jpg

StrokePath2.jpg

-Noel

• 6. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.
                    conroy Community Member

Thanks, I see what you mean; Christoph will have been referring to randomization that is performed by the Brush not by the user applying that brush with the mouse.

Yes, there would have to be limits on the flexibility of the system, but I prefer to consider the possibilities rather than rule out the idea altogether because not every conceivable Brush can be accomodated.

• 7. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.

Complexity notwithstanding, I see no reason that all the info for a given brush couldn't be stored in a PSD.  It can be stored in an ABR file today!

Now, hypothetically speaking, if this feature were implemented and you bought a commercial brush package, then published a PSD with a stroke using one of the brushes from within that package, would you be inadvertently be sharing licensed intellectual property illegally?

-Noel

• 8. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.
                        conroy Community Member

Noel Carboni wrote:

Complexity notwithstanding, I see no reason that all the info for a given brush couldn't be stored in a PSD.  It can be stored in an ABR file today!

Now, hypothetically speaking, if this feature were implemented and you bought a commercial brush package, then published a PSD with a stroke using one of the brushes from within that package, would you be inadvertently be sharing licensed intellectual property illegally?

-Noel

Yes, I think you would be illegally sharing property, therefore that all-encompassing approach would not be viable. Something more limited, but a heck of a lot better than nothing, could be implemented, though.

• 9. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.

Noel has illustrated what I was referring to nicely.

Something more limited, but a heck of a lot better than nothing, could be implemented, though.

Well, with the »you’ve given me an inch, now where is the mile«-approach* some users seem to employ I’m afraid anything less than an implementation with maintained full editability of the Stroke might lead to customer dissatissfaction.

Not that the feature would not be a welcome improvement.

*) And I’m pretty much employing that attitude myself when I consider any Filter that cannot be applied as a Smart Filter an annoyance.

• 10. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.
                            Doug.S Community Member

Why not use Illustrator . . . it does what you want already does it not?  (Copy paste to Ps as needed; but it would not be readily editable except via re-paste in Ps; except maybe via smart layer? linked file?)

see Illustrator brushes (art, scatter, pattern, etc.) to stroke a path, easily edited/changed/altered.

• 11. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.

Some of us don't have illustrator, and this does seem like a logical extension of Photoshop functionality of making shapes out of paths.

-Noel

• 12. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.
                                conroy Community Member

Doug.S wrote:

Why not use Illustrator . . .

Surely it would be preferable to be able to do this inside Ps than have to buy and learn to use another app, and then jump back and forward between that and Ps.

• 13. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.
                                  Doug.S Community Member

Agreed it would be nice in Ps but lacking that now, Illy could work.

• 14. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.
                                    PECourtejoie ACP

Conroy2009, I've seen a script using the scripted patterns that layed down patterns on a path, check out Chuck Uebele's site, and this page: http://www.adobe.com/technology/projects/DecoScriptedPatternsInPhotoshop.html

• 15. Re: Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.
                                      conroy Community Member

PECourtejoie wrote:

Conroy2009, I've seen a script using the scripted patterns that layed down patterns on a path, check out Chuck Uebele's site, and this page: http://www.adobe.com/technology/projects/DecoScriptedPatternsInPhotosh op.html

Thanks, Pierre! That's interesting and reminds me that I haven't explored scripted patterns yet.

The thing I'm hoping Adobe introduces to Ps is the ability to specify Brush Tool (and possibly some other tools) as a Shape Layer's stroke definition, a definition which forever remains editable (as does the form of a Path object, whether a standalone entity or a member of a Shape Layer) and whose appearance is not reliant on pixel layers.