16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2012 8:14 AM by Mark Nichoson RSS

New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

Steve Werner CommunityMVP

I'm having problems with the Adobe Help AIR application. When there is new content, it goes through the motions of downloading it, then it shows the content which was downloading as not installed. When I quit application and reopen, it shows the same download available as it did before, not yet downloaded. Here illustrations to show the sequence:

(1) Content is available:

Help1.jpg

I click Download, and the process begins.

(2) Downloading:

Help2_downloading.jpg

(3) Download continues:

Help3_downloading.jpg

(4) The content is presumably "integrating". I see a spinning circle of activity (but not shown in the screen capture).

Help4.jpg

(5) Failure.

Help5.jpg

(6) I click Done. I quit out of the Adobe Help Manager. When I reopen it, I'm back at step #1

Help6.jpg

Suggestions?

• 1. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing
          Mark Nichoson Adobe Employee

Hi Steve:  we usually see this when there are corrupt configuration files;  please try the procedure outlined here: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/help-application-doesnt-update.html

• 2. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

I'll try those steps. Thanks.

• 3. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

@Mark,

Well, I went through all the steps of the procedure you outlined on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.7.4)

(1) I updated Adobe AIR

(2) I removed the previous version of Adobe Help

(3) I removed the directory from <home> > Library > Preferences

(4) I emptied the trash

(5) I downloaded Adobe Help application again (was the same version, incidentally, hasn't been updated since March)

At first, it started to work. It said it had a download available. It went through the entire process and some files were available.

Then, it had another download. I initiated it, watched progress bars as more resources were downloaded, then it gave this message:

HelpHanging.jpg

And I waited, and I waited, and after an hour or two, I left it to run overnight. And, when I got up this morning, it was still there. So I gave up.

By the way, I'm having the same problem on my other Mac (iMac, Mac OS X 10.7.4)

So, I've concluded that Community Help application isn't ready for prime time. I'll use the PDFs which I downloaded until you have a new version of the Help application.

• 4. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

Hi Steve:  okay, let me escalate this to engineering and see what's going on. I'll get back to you shortly.

• 5. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

Hi Steve:  can I ask you to try one more thing?  The Help Manager should allow you to update the files ala carte (rather than in the bulk download). It would help us debug the issue to see if that portion is working.  Can you try the following?

1. From any CS6, open Help

2. Go to the Local Content tab (shown in your screenshot above)

3. Click on a single PDF that is shown as shown as "out-of-date"

4. Click the Update button in the lower left.

5. Click Open PDF

If the individual file update process is working then the problem might be in the bulk extraction/installation process.

• 6. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing
                    Missteach Community Member

I have been experiencing exactly the same issues since I installed Master Collection CS6.  The suggestion to click UPDATE for individual PDFs is not successful.

They download but, once done, the same 'Out-of-Date' message appears.

This is the same for every CS6 program from the Master Collection.

• 7. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

I tried on a single file, and it hung again. It was the Bridge Reference (2.1 Mb). It said "Pending Integration." Same dialog as in my screen shot. I gave up after 25 minutes. It shouldn't take that long to uncompress a 2.1 Mb file!

• 8. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

I will also try on my other Mac. Working on that now to see if the results are the same.

• 9. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

Mark,

Here's some useful information for you. On the first Mac I was testing on (MacBook Pro), the one I reported on this morning, what's happening is that when the extraction process begins (on the files marked "Pending Integration"), in fact the files ARE extracted.

But the dialog box about "Please wait while the downloaded files are extracted..." isn't dismissed it. It stays there. If you actually click the X to close the dialog, and select Done, then Quit out of Adobe Help Manager, it's actually done its work. If you reopen Adobe Help Manager, the files now show "Current" with yesterday's date for the date of the download. What's broken, after I completely reinstalled everything, is the "Please wait..." dialog.

I'm testing on my second Mac (iMac) which has the whole Master Collection Help files to see the same thing happens.

• 10. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

Thanks for the update -- can you open the PDFs by clicking the "Open PDF" button? 

• 11. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

Yes, the PDFs are opening up!

What about the other files that were downloaded that show Current but have the green icon? They don't seem to display any way to open them up offline. What's with that?

• 12. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

OK, I did the process on my second computer, the iMac. Again, I had run through the gamut of uninstalling and reinstalling as detailed above. I can confirm the hypothesis I developed above: Namely, the bug is not in the downloading and extracting, it's that the warning dialog "Please wait..." is not being dismissed so it seems like a download and extract process is taking forever, even though it's already finished. It DOES dismiss the dialog but ONLY ON THE FIRST DOWNLOAD AND EXTRACT. After that, it gets hung.

If you need more details, I can provide them. On the second computer, after forcing the app to quit (click X to close dialog, choose Done, quit application, reopen application and repeat, and repeat, I could eventually get everything downloaded and extracted. But it's tedious and most people won't go through it and wonder what's happening.

• 13. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing
                                  adobeletmyinfobestolen Community Member

Has there been any resolution to this Adobe Help Manager bug? I'm experiencing the exact same problems and the delete/reinstall fix does not work - I keep getting the following error:

"This application cannot be installed because this installer has been mis-configured. Please contact the application author for assistance."

I did start a discussion about this error some weeks ago but received no reply. So much for "Ask our Experts. Our community is at your service 24/7"

• 14. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

Hi Sharpo:  that particular error message sounds like it might be related to the AIR runtime itself.  Are you up to date on the latest version of the runtime?  Please try following the steps outlined on this KB doc: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/help-application-doesnt-update.html

• 15. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing
                                      adobeletmyinfobestolen Community Member

Hi Mark. I tried the steps in the KB article but still kept on getting the "installer has been mis-configured" error when I tried to reinstall Adobe Help Manager. After quite a long while trying to find a workaround I stumbled on the source of the problem: the Adobe Help Manager installer attempts to install the AIR app too - even if it hasn't been uninstalled and is the latest version - then fails every time with the "mis-configured" error. By chance, I moved the installer dialogue box and, lo and behold, there was a duplicate installer dialogue box behind it doing the exact same thing. (And, no, I hadn't left another installer open by mistake - if that's possible.) So, yes indeed, the installer is mis-configured.

The workaround I found is - unlike the routine detailed in the KB article - to uninstall BOTH apps (not just to check that AIR is the latest version) then make sure to install the AIR app before installing the Adobe Help Manager. Worked like a charm.

• 16. Re: New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

That's great news -- thanks for the extra tip to uninstall both the runtime and the Help Manager.  We will update the KB doc with the additional recommendation.