Select all the photos (Cmd-A), then go to the field where the caption is shown, and select the entire field and hit backspace.
I have no idea why the field is filled with OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA, as I don't own one. Nevertheless, as you can see it is easy to fix.
1 person found this helpful
Olympus writes it into the file at capture.
Does that mean it'll still appear in every newly-imported file, Seán?
Does for me so far on both the E-PL1 and the OM-D E-M5..
You should be able to remove it with an import template.
Sent from phone.
Do other camera manufacturers do this? Can we demand a Firmware update of Olympus to remove this unwanted caption?
Well so far we only know that it's unwanted by you, Linda.
Nothing automatically appears in the "caption" metadata fields for my Canon cameras, incidentally.
1 person found this helpful
Do other camera manufacturers do this?
My Konica Minolta 7D did. My Sony a77 does not. My wife's Canon IXUS 100 does not.
I guess you can write something else into the Caption field on all your future imports by creating a Metadata Preset in the import dialog. I have not tested it, but the Caption field is one of the metadata fields which are handled by a Metadata Preset.
Some camera manufacturers do write the camera type in the caption :
See this note by John R Ellis in his faqs for Elements:
"Some camera manufacturers insert the name of the camera in the caption field of a photo’s metadata, and when you import the photo into PSE, it shows up as a caption. To stop this from happening, uncheck the option Edit > Preferences > Files > Import EXIF Caption. To remove the caption from photos that have already been imported:
- Do Find > By Caption Or Note and type in the name of the camera.
- Edit > Select All.
- Right-click one of the photos and select Add Caption To Selected Items.
- Leave the caption field blank, check Replace Existing Captions, and click OK."
There must be an equivalent solution in LR ?
There is definitely a way to automatically remove "Olympus Digital Camera" from your captions...use a metadata preset. (excuse the late reply to an old thread)
In Lightroom 3 or 4, (and possibly earlier):
- Click Metadata...Edit Metadata Presets
- Check the box to the right of caption, but do not type anything into the box.
- Fill in whatever else you want. I usually have my copyright, name and address stamped onto every image I import.
- At the top, click the "Preset" drop down box and click "Save Settings as a New Preset". Type in a name, such as "standard copyright preset."
- When you import, set the Metadata preset to "standard copyright preset" or whatever you called it in step 4
The annoying "Olympus Digital Camera" ITPC caption will be magically erased on import.
Hope this helps!
Thank you very much! This looks like an easy and viable solution.