Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash-Based BBC h264 Videos Freeze After 8 Seconds

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I like to view BBC news videos since March on my new Desktop Windows 7 64 bit Pro system.  For about 2 weeks now, I've been having trouble viewing about half of these videos.  Half play all the way through fine and the other half freeze after 8-10 seconds.  I have a CAT 5e 7 mbit cable modem connection so speed is not an issue.  My Wi-Fi connected Windows 7 Home Premium laptop uses the same router and can play the same videos with no problems.

On my Desktop, this freezing happens on both FireFox 12 and Internet Explorer 9.  I did all the usual things to try to fix the problem.  I cleared the caches on both FF12 and IE9.  Yesterday, I uninstalled both the Adobe Flash FF12 plug-in and IE9 Active-X versions and reinstalled with the latest version, 11,3,300,262.  Today, I upgraded to the latest version, 11,3,300,265.  Nothing has solved the problem.

Here are the specs for the BBC Flash-based player:

Problem Videos:

URL:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18819815

EMP v.3.1.0.r749603_749269_749444_5

18819815 | 800kbps | h264 | AK 4.5 (1) | 640x360

BBC-Flash-Player-Video-Right-Click-Menu.jpg

URL:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18733664

18733664 | 800kbps | h264 | AK 4.5 (1) | 640x360

URL:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18818139

18818139 | 800kbps | h264 | AK 4.5 (1) | 640x360

This video plays OK:

URL:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18801596

18801601 | 800kbps | h264 | AK 4.5 (1) | 640x360

The only difference I noticed was the initial screen size of the video.  On the problem videos, the size is bigger than the OK one.  I assume the BBC videos are h264 encoded.  On both my Desktop and my laptop, I have 2 msmpeg2vdec.dll files.  1 in C:\Windows\System32 and another in C:\Windows\SysWOW64.  They are both v6.1.7140.0.  On both my Desktop and laptop, the sizes are different, 2.52 MB & 2.03 MB.

I am using the latest nVidia driver v301.42 which I installed 5/30/2012, over a month ago.  The only recent change which happened to my system on 7/4/2012 was my Norton Internet Security 2012 subscription expired.  NIS2012 then disabled itself and activated the built-in Windows firewall.  3 days ago I uninstalled NIS2012.  I also used the Norton Removal Tool.  I then installed a new NIS2012 with a new legitimate key.  However, I am still getting this freezing and I don't remember if I got this freezing before 7/4/2012.

On both FF12 and IE9, I can play Hulu, YouTube, Yahoo!, and Amazon videos with no problems.  When you right-click on any of these other flash players, nowhere does it say "h264."

My questions are:

1)  does the Adobe Flash Player, for both the FF12 plug-in and IE9 ax players, use the Windows7 CODEC?

2)  Which file is the h264 CODEC, is it msmpeg2vdec.dll or something else?

3)  Will installing a new CODEC pack fix this problem?

4)  Is there anything else I have overlooked?  Is there anything else I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have done a lot of research.

I do not know the answers to any of your questions, but I hope someone from Adobe will have a look at your problem.

I just want to report that I have no problems viewing any of the videos on the links that you supplied (using Waterfox 13 with Flash Player 11.3.300.265 on Windows 7 x64).

Ah, one question: the problem videos, do they stop during the advertising, or during the actual news clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, the advertisement plays correctly.  When you right-click on the ad, it does not say h264.  I have 2 video cards and several monitors on my Desktop.  It might have something to do with that.  Otherwise, perhaps one of my other apps did something to the Flash Player h264 playback.

BBC-Flash-Player-Advertisement.jpgBBC-Flash-Player-Advertisement.jpg

I'm thinking maybe if I upgraded the h264 CODEC, maybe it will play correctly again.  CODEC GUIDE has a codec package which I already downloaded but haven't installed yet.  I downloaded the "Basic."  Unless you really need to, I don't recommend anyone install it.  If you want to install a CODEC package, just install the "Basic" package and not one of the bigger packages.  I think they make changes to your system.  Before installing it, be sure to make a full backup of your Windows system.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have the Windows 7 Codecs Pack (4.0.3) installed: http://www.windows7codecs.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener,

the CODEC pack you installed should be OK.  It's similar to the CODEC Guide package I downloaded.  The difference is you have both 32 and 64 bit CODEC's.  CODEC Guide has a separate package for 64 bit.  Your CODEC pack also has a h.264 CODEC.  That might be why you aren't having any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This BBC h264 video plays with no problems:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18840324

18840288 | 800kbps | h264 | AK 3.5 (1) | 640x360

Notice how the start size is smaller than the problem videos.  Also notice how the video number is not the same as the URL.  It's come to the point where I know which video is going to freeze and which is going to play all the way through.

bbc-video-plays-ok.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MrX1980,

if you run DXDIAG.EXE, you can see which version of DirectX your system.  All systems should have DXDIAG.EXE on them.  This is a built-in utility included with Windows.  I already have DirextX 11 but thanks for posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cypherdude: You are talking about DirectX 11 and the download is for DirectX 9.

On Windows Vista, 7 and 8 there is DirectX 9 also installed and not updated by the Microsoft/Windows updates.

And DxDiag not telling you that you have all DirectX 9 Updates.

Flash Player using only DirectX 9 and not 10 or 11.

So you should give it a try.

"Supported operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem as @Cyberdude, on a newly constructed PC with Windows 7 (64 bit) latest Flash, DX11 and ample internet speed. The problem seems BBC specific - video cips fron RTE play as they should. Did a new CODEC help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donalhugh,

I will not be installing the "Basic" CODEC Guide package for some time.  It could be several days before I have a chance to return to this.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

If you do install the Basic package, let us know what your results are.  Please post your system specs here.  Do you use nVidia drivers?  Do you have more than 1 monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cypherdude,

The system is very simple with an Intel i5 3750K CPU providing Intel 4000 graphics - no separate graphics card. Intel drivers, DX11, single monitor.  DVDs, YouTube videos and video clips from RTE play without a hitch.

There is a intriguing clue about the 8-10 s freeze problem with BBC material. It is that if one alters the zoom (on either IE9 or Chrome), the time before the freeze can change and sometimes the clip plays right through. My normal zoom is 125% which seems the worst setting for the freeze.

This might tell the Adobe/BBC guys what is going on!

Since I can now manage to see more of the BBC clips, I am not going to download new codecs for the present. Too hairy for my limited expertise and advanced age.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cypherdale,

The cuurent BBC video clips all play this evening (July 17th 8.00 pm London time) as do your sample clips. No idea why. Let's hope it stays that way and that we eventually have an explanation.

Donalhugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donalhugh,

In Win7 64 Pro, I am using:

Right-Click Desktop > Screen Resolution > Make text and other items larger or smaller > Medium 125%

This causes everything to be shown at 125% or 25% larger.  I cannot change this back inside FF12.  I must use the above Windows 7 screen resolution app thereby changing my entire system (and possibly rebooting).  However, when I use IE9, on the bottom right corner it says 125%.  When I change this back to 100% before loading the freezing BBC videos listed above, they now play correctly.  I have had other problems such as the initial registration window for Corel Painter Essentials 4.  The boxes you fill in do not fit inside the Corel window.

It appears I will only be able to play the problem BBC videos in IE9 at 100% magnification.  I will not be changing my entire system just for BBC.  I highly doubt Adobe or BBC is going to do anything about this.  At least now I know what the problem is.  Installing a new CODEC or updating DirectX9 would probably be useless.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cypherdale,

My BBC clips (and yours) still play this morning (18th July). The PC has Flash Player version 11.3.300.265.

The zoom that I altered is the one within IE9, accessible as 'zoom' on the IE Tools menu (wheel on upper right corner of IE9). I also restarted the PC though I've no idea if that helped. Zoom is now back to 125% and all remains well.

The whole episode is a puzzle.

Donalhugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 07, 2012 Oct 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right click on the video and select 'settings' from the menu. Uncheck 'Enable hardware acceleration'. Refresh the page and try playing the video again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines