13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 11:36 AM by BTreff RSS

Magenta banding on some files after importing

TBartholomew82

I am having a problem where just a few of my files show heavy magenta banding after importing into Lightroom 4.1.  I am importing RAW files from a Nikon D800. I don't think it's the camera because most of my files are fine.  And I don't think it's the files themselves either because they look fine in camera, in finder (Mac OS X 10.6), in Photoshop CS5 and even in Lightroom 4.1 itself at the import preview. But once I actually import the photos, they suddenly become corrupt and show heavy magenta banding. I've removed the files from the catalog and the HDD several times and attempted to re-import several times without success. And of course there are several attempts at restarting the iMac and running hardware checkers etc. to eliminate extra variables.  It's only 5 or 6 files out of maybe 30.  Please offer advise...

• 1. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing
          Keith_Reeder Community Member

LR is known to "stress" hardware - when this sort of issue is reported, the problem is usually tracked down to (say) a failing disk, or RAM problems.

• 2. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing
            TBartholomew82 Community Member

Thank you Keith. Incidentally, I did find a RAM problem and isolated it to a single stick.  I've removed the stick and resolved the RAM problem (successive hardware tests all pass and no other system malfunctions have occured) but my magenta banding was not affected by removing the bad RAM.  I find it particularly odd that the files look good when previewed in finder straight from the card, when opened in CS5, and even in Lightroom in grid and loupe view when getting ready to import, yet after actually importing, the files then become corrupted.  If the files were bad, shouldn't they display this magenta banding no matter when and how I preview them? This indicates a LR4 problem to me.

• 3. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing
              RikkFlohr Community Member

I would suspect a faulty Monitor Color Profile. When was the last time you recalibrated your monitor?

• 4. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing

Thank you for the suggestion but this can't be a monitor issue; it's not a global color cast, it's a stark magenta banding across roughly half of only the affected images as if someone took a highlighter to them. And as previously mentioned, these images are perfectly normal if I open them from the card as well as in CS5. And also as previously mentioned, when I select them for import into LR4, they look normal. It's only after actually importing them into LR4 that they suddenly become corrupt. The experience goes as follows:

Selecting images from the card in the import module goes normally. All images look fine in both grid view as well as loupe view. Then I select the destination folder and click import. The images begin popping up in the destination folder as the process finishes and again they all look normal. And then, within about 2-3 seconds of the import process completing, the affected images (same ones each time) all of the sudden have the transluscent bands superimposed onto them. It doesn't affect the whole image either. Just roughly half.

• 5. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing

It most certainly can be a corrupt monitor profile. I have fixed identical issuss on other systems with this recommendation. You may choose to ignore this suggestion but it will likely fix your problem.

Lightroom is very good at exposing corrupt profiles.

• 6. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing

Forgive my ignorance. If this is in fact the issue though, how could it be so selective? A monitor profile sounds like such a macro level issue that I don't understand how it would only affect 5 images out of thousands and not present in other programs. Also, why would it affect those same 5 images only and when they're a part of a LR4 catalog but not before. Prior to import, those file look fine in LR4. I'm willing to try anything at this point though. Is there a way I can fix this without having to buy anything? Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing

It is easy enough to test. Change your active display profile to sRGB and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then the profile is likely corrupt.

If that checks out, then Video Driver software updates should be explored.

• 8. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing
                        Victoria_Bampton CommunityMVP

Also bear in mind that the camera, Finder, the import dialog and various other software will be looking at the embedded preview rather than the raw data.  Once LR builds a proper preview, it then looks at the raw data which may be corrupted.  Can we download one of the problem files to confirm for you?

• 9. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing

Oh good point Victoria, I didn't think about that. Thanks! Although, now that I think about it, it does look OK in CS5.  Wouldn't CS5 be opening the raw file for processing rather than just displaying a jpg preview? In the meantime, I'll try to figure out how to attach one of the files.  The upload limit is 2MB.  I don't know if I can compress a D800 NEF that much since they're natively 75+ MB uncompressed and I don't know if reducing size using lossy compression will still give you a representative file to empirically check for me.

• 10. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing
                            Victoria_Bampton CommunityMVP

You can email me a dropbox link or upload a file onto my server (www.vbftp.net, username webupload, password 123)

• 11. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing

Well, a strange thing happened...I just reloaded the images so that I could verify one last time that I was picking one that was corrupted so that I could upload it to you and none of the files now show any signs of corruption.  I imported them to a temp folder on my desktop so that I could much more easily remove them from LR4 when I was done and they looked fine.  So I reversed the process and attempted to reimport them to their original folder with the rest of the files from the shoot and they still looked fine.  I even restarted and reopened LR4 and same result. 

Rikk might have been right because the only thing I had done so far was run the "recalibration" of the color profile in my system preferences - even though all I did was click next-next-next and leave all of the defaults.  But I went ahead and reverted back to the old profile to see if it might have been corrupted, and the files still look good. 

I don't know...Thank you all for your help.  If the problems pop back up again, I'll come back on with more info.  From now on, I'm going to mirror my files to the other memory card for a backup instead of using it for overflow so that I can at least have something to work with on trying to eliminate the card as the problem if this problem shows back up.  Let's hope this isn't an intermittent camera problem. 

• 12. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing
                                Hal P Anderson Community Member

I wonder if maybe your video card is flaky.

Hal

• 13. Re: Magenta banding on some files after importing
                                  BTreff

If by reloaded, you mean that you reimported the images fresh from the card, I think the bad stick of RAM was your issue all along.  Replacing the bad memory would not have rectified the banding issue for images that were imported while the original memory was present (these images were "damaged" during import).  I just had the same thing happen to me with a new computer that I found to have a faulty DIMM.