1 2 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2012 5:09 AM by VDOSurfer Go to original post RSS
      • 40. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
        John T Smith MVP

IF it is one of the options, and you want to edit in Premiere Elements, you want to convert to DV AVI type 2 with 16bit 48khz sound

• 41. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
          flyinjewel Community Member

Neither of these sites say that the converter is compatible with Window 7.

• 42. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
            John T Smith MVP

Go to Google and enter

convert vcd avi

• 43. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
              Robert J. Johnston Community Member

Bill Hunt wrote:

Robert,

Thank you for that info. Is that directly from PS CS6, or from Bridge CS6?

By chance, do you happen to know if, when one creates a SlideShow in Photoshop Elements, that SlideShow is created as a DAT file?

Appreciated,

Hunt

Bill, That is directly from PS CS6.

When you burn a slideshow project to a VCD from the Elements Organizer, two -- among several -- directories are created on the CD with files that end with .DAT. The one file in the MPEGAV folder named AVSEQ01.DAT, on this one disc I have made, can be dragged to the timeline in some editors, such as Sony Vegas 10. The video is very low resolution, half of standard definition.

I can use Movavi Video Converter to convert the AVSEQ01.DAT file to something else.

• 44. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
                nealeh Community Member

QuickMedia website shows compatibility with W7 32 & 64 bit. The other shows XP and likely works on W7 - if it doesn't, uninstall it.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 45. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
                  nealeh Community Member

Robert J. Johnston wrote:

The video is very low resolution, half of standard definition.

I think VCD is MPEG1 which probably explains that.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 46. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
                    Steve Grisetti MVP

I agree, Neale. A VCD is pretty primitive technology -- roughly the equivalent of an old VHS recording, with about 1/4 the resolution of a DVD.

• 47. Re: what is the best safe video converter?

Excuse me guys,

I don't understand all this talk about a VCD.  I must be missing something.  I put my slide show on a DVD disk because it has more room on it. (I suppose that has nothing to do with what you are talking about.)

I downloaded a video converter and found it to hard to understand so I uninstalled it.  Glad to see your all still on board.  I thought maybe you got tired of me being so simple minded.  I'll let you know if anything works. And you guys just keep working on this,. It gives you something to do.  Ha Ha.

Bernice

P. S. I appreciate that you take the time to help.

• 48. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
                        the_wine_snob Community Member

Though you may have used a black DVD disc, it appears that you burned a VCD disc, onto it. The files and folder structure differ between VCD and DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 49. Re: what is the best safe video converter?

Now I am in a funk!  I went back to the Photoshop Elements that is one my computer now (version 10) just to see what it says about output.  There ARE two places to check for output one VCD  (lower quality) and DVD (higher quality). All the other slideshow I have made I checked the DVD button.  Now it seems as if you guys are telling me that I must have check the VCD button. Buggers! That makes all my work not as good apparently.

I have looked into several of the video converters mention in this post.  I am just to dumb to be able to do it.  I can't seem to get it to accept my DVD drive with the DVD in it. I tried to make a folder labeled "slideshow" as you suggested , but that didn't work either.

I'm not a happy camper!

Bernice

• 50. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
                            the_wine_snob Community Member

Bernice,

Back on the old computer, the one in the closet, do you still have PSE 6? Do you happen to have that old PSE Project on that computer? If you do, you will be better off just outputting the Project again.

Conversion programs are great, when going from file A to file B. However, if file A was compressed, or otherwise output, in a lossey format, no conversion program can improve things, when going to file B. Once data is lost, it is gone forever.

Hope that you DO have that SlideShow on that older computer, and can just output again, with the proper settings.

Good luck, and again, fingers are X'ed in Arizona.

Hunt

• 51. Re: what is the best safe video converter?

Bill,

Best Buy Computer Geeks transferred everything to my new computer.  However, they don't do the added programs such as Adobe.  (They figure you have the install disks) The files should still be there, but I don't know what file names for them to look for.  I made the slideshow in Photoshop Elements 6. Never did get it sent to Premiere. Should I have them put the files on a CD if they can find them?

You have been great trying to help a California girl.  Thanks a bunch.

Bernice

• 52. Re: what is the best safe video converter?

Forgot to answer the question "Do I still  have Photoshop Elements 6. the answer is yes.  Just not on the new computer. I also have Photoshop Premiere 6.  I have both version 10 on my new computer.

• 53. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
                                  John T Smith MVP

I think what Hunt said was to power up the old computer and re-do the old project there, with all the original files... and output again to a new DVD, this time being sure to check the option to create a DVD, and not a VCD

That will not involve your new computer at all... Then, do NEW projects on your new computer

• 54. Re: what is the best safe video converter?

Thanks John,

We will try that.  I don't know if the old computer really works anymore.  That was the whole reason I got a new one.  I/m not sure I even needed  a new one.  When the kid that came to deliver my new computer came and was setting it up I mentioned the problem I had with the old computer I had and he said it sounded like a monitor problem.  He was probably right!

Anyway Thanks a lot! I will let you guys know if it works.

Bernice

• 55. Re: what is the best safe video converter?
                                      VDOSurfer Community Member

Rename the .dat file to .mpg and then try to import it. It should work. I think PrE looks for the extension rather than the actual video content.

1 2 Previous Next