• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Structure WebHelp project that limits access to license program module users

Participant ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find information about the best way to structure a WebHelp project that needs to contain Help modules that will be accessible only to users who license the associated application? My project needs to contain core Help for the application and four modules associated with four licensable analysis program modules. I've done some research about merging Help projects, but that doesn't tell me how to set up the project or projects so that the user of program A, for example, can't see the Help for program B.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you created a Merged helpset, you could structure it so that the components that are merged in are placed in different folders. Then password protect those folder or otherwise restrict them so that only validated users could see them. When the master is launched, if it cannot get to one or more child projects, they aren't listed in the Table of Contents and in the Index and Search.

I suggested this years ago for a product where I was the tech writer. The owner of the company decided on a different approach. His view?

Since they can't do the functions the help is for anyway, what does it hurt to have it available? Further, if they haven't yet purchased a module that they have help for, perhaps by seeing the help, it will help serve as a marketing tool. By seeing what is possible via the help, perhaps they might be encouraged to purchase additional modules.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Rick.

I'm new'ish to this forum and tried to provide more detail in my original post, but apparently I'd already posted and so could not edit the post .

I will share your comments with the application developer, who is wondering how best to show child projects only to validated users.

I've always worked at companies where all the Help was included, as a way to showcase all the features, as you note in your reply. However, at my current company there are good reasons not to do this.

If you know of any good reference documentation for me and the developer to use while implementing this type of WebHelp, I would appreciate your sharing the information with me.

Do you have any thoughts about how best to structure this type of project? Here are two design ideas I've been working on.

rh.png

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp