11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2012 11:35 AM by ronnhague RSS

You lost my script!

ronnhague

I was working on a short story script this afternoon at the office.  I saved it (at the bottom) and closed story plus down (I have the creative cloud).  When I got home, I decided to do a little more work on my script and it was gone.  It was stored in my Healthy People Now project folder with a script named Evermore.  I believe the name of the lost script is Pardon My Smoking.  I do not have time to hunt for scripts, nor do my students.  If these kinds of problems are not worked out, I will not be able to use this in my classroom.

Another complaint I have with story is that it is not intuitive.  I usually have no right-click options (PC) as I do in many other Adobe applications.  I use just about every application in the creative cloud (with the exception of the flash programs)---PS, AI, ID, Premiere Pro, AE, Speedgrade (which is also horribly difficult to understand and use), Encore, Audition, Soundstage etc., I also teach many of these applications.  I believe that Adobe should be cross-compatable with feature similarity across platforms.  I realize that this is an extremely difficult request, but considering that people who work with story, speedgrade, premiere, and AE are generally going to have to learn a complete set of different commands/features/etc. it would be nice if it were easier to move from one program to another without having to change your whole thougt pattern as you do between speedgrade and say, premiere pro.

• 1. Re: You lost my script!
          AnubhavRohatgi Adobe Employee

Hi.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Can you confirm that:

1.       Were you working in the desktop application in the office?

2.       Were you working online when you saved the script?

3.       Can you see the script when you use your office computer?

4.       Do you see the script at all in the project when you log in from home?

5.       Are you using the desktop application at home and are you online?

--Anubhav

• 2. Re: You lost my script!
            ronnhague Community Member

1.  Yes

2. Yes

3. Don't know.  Haven't been to my office yet.

4. No

5. Yes.

Where is my script?

• 3. Re: You lost my script!
              Ratnesh-Kumar Community Member

Hi,

Please send

- Your AdobeID (username which you use to login to story),

- Script name (which is missing),

- Approximate number of pages in it (when last saved)

at "adobestory-support@adobe.com".

Thanks

Ratnesh

• 4. Re: You lost my script!

rhague@prcc.edu is my user name

I think the script name was Pardon My Smoking (but I'm not quite sure)

I don't think it was more than 5 pages.

I have checked my office computer and it is not here.

Ronn Hague

Digital Media Coordinator/Museum Director

Pearl River Community College

Hancock Hall

101 Highway 11 North

Poplarville, MS  39470

office:  601-403-1316

fax:  601-403-1035

cell:  601-365-3227

• 5. Re: You lost my script!
                  Ratnesh-Kumar Community Member

Hi,

Can you see if the script ‘Pardon my smoke’ is in the sync issues folder ?

This folder is located on the left side panel in “projects view”.

For more details on how to locate “sync issues folder” see page-8 (image tag – F) on this pdf<http://help.adobe.com/en_US/story/cs/using/adobe_story_help.pdf>.

Thanks

ratnesh

• 6. Re: You lost my script!

No.  The Sync Issues shows (0) no scripts

Ronn Hague

Hancock Hall

101 Highway 11 North

Poplarville, MS  39470

• 7. Re: You lost my script!

I just found it in my deleted items folder.  I DID NOT delete it.  I will, from this point onward, save to disk.  This seems to be the only way to save my scripts safely...hopefully.  I have about 40 hours invested in one script.  I do not want to lose that.  Can you guarantee me that this will not happen with my script?

Ronn Hague

Hancock Hall

101 Highway 11 North

Poplarville, MS  39470

• 8. Re: You lost my script!

That's weird. Honestly, we are not sure how it got there. We trust that you did not delete it. do you have any other pointers that can help us debug or reproduce this issue?

--Anubhav

• 9. Re: You lost my script!

Basically, it does not have the "feel" that other Adobe programs have.  It could use some more drag and drop features, more like explorer (microsoft) so that you can move one script into another section or out of a project and into a new project if necessary.  I noticed that the projects do not allow me to place multiple projects into folders within the explorer in Story.  That ability would also be nice.  We have a program called Healthy People Now that we produce about six short films per year for inclusion into K-12 schools that I would like to be able to group.  Maybe I am just overlooking this feature.

Ronn Hague

Hancock Hall

101 Highway 11 North

Poplarville, MS  39470

• 10. Re: You lost my script!

Ron.

All these feature are in the program. You can use Categories as a parent folder for multiple projects. Click on the arrow icon next to projects in the projects view and select new category. Now, create a new category and drag drop projects into it.

You can also drag drop scripts from one project to another.

Sorry this is not as intuitive as you’d like it to be.

--Anubhav

• 11. Re: You lost my script!

Thanks so much.   I was hoping you had already addressed or would address some of these issues.  I expect as time goes by, you will address more.  I really love some of the features.  Some of the features require a bit more of a learning curve than I may want to invest due to time constraints.  One such feature is the ability to synchronize both shooting and cast scripts so that any change in dialog or action on one reflect on the other without having to be a computer whiz to do so.

These are the instructions.  Most people would just shake their head and walk away:

We understand the frustration and I think I have a workaround for the problem. You need a use a different template (attached) so that there is enough space to fit the camera lines.

Save the shootingscripttemplate.xml file on your local drive

•   Open a film script

•   Click anywhere you want to add a shot

•   Go to the production menu and select Production ->Camera shot

•   Choose Continue, when you are prompted to save the file as different version of the script (not saving it as a different version)

•   Enter information about the shot and click ok

Notice that the script format has changed and your shot appears on the left.

•   From the View menu deselect the camera shots option

•   Now go to the Edit Menu and Select Edit->Template

•   Choose "Film" template from the drop down to revert back to the original formatting of the script with the camera shots in it.

•   Your script should now look like this:

•   Choose Edit->Template again and now import the attached template so that you can view the same script as a shooting script.

•   The imported template will autoload values into the template.

•   From the View menu and select the camera shots option. Your script should now look like this

•   Switch between templates when you want to work on camera shots and when you dont.

You can add the shooting script template to your favorite templates by:

1.  Go to the projects view

2.  Clicking on the new button on the top right hand side of the screen

3.  Select a film script from the drop down.

4.  Click on the change template button

1.  Now click on import and select the shooting script template from your drive. Click ok and then ok again

2.  Click cancel

3.  The shootingscripttemplate is now available in the drop down when you go to Edit->Template from the authoring view of a script.

As you can see this is a bit much for the average screenwriter or filmmaker to learn on top of every other program, codec, etc. that we have to know.

Ronn Hague

Hancock Hall

101 Highway 11 North

Poplarville, MS  39470