4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2012 3:58 AM by shonamack RSS

error saving when using lines

shonamack Community Member

I'm just trying to update a CS3 illustrator file to 5.5. I continually get the error 'an unknown error has occurred' when saving it. I've copied and pasted each item individually into a new file and then saved to eliminate what the problem is. What i've found is any lines drawn/used are causing the error. How do I fix this?

• 1. Re: error saving when using lines
          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

Could you please post a screenshot of the likely culprits with the pertinent Panels visible?

Have you tried saving as ai, eps and pdf?

• 2. Re: error saving when using lines

I've attached a few pics of the different windows relating to my saving the file.
            First pic shows the plain lines I have used in the file that are causing the problems.

2nd-3rd pics show window and error when saving as an .ai file.

4th-5th pics show window and error when saving as an eps – on this one I don't know why it says it is a memory problem. Everything else on my computer runs really well – I've never had that problem before. Saving as a pdf is the same as .ai file.

I think this is now just a corrupt file. Last night I tried making new files drawing lines and I kept getting the error. This morning after restarting I cannot even open the colour version of this file as it just keeps quitting Illustrator. However I can now open other old CS3 files and save them as CS5.5 and all is ok, and I can also draw lines in a new file and it saves fine.

It's really strange – but least its working on most files now.

I don't know if any of these windows will help assess the problem – I might just have to give up on these two files.

error with white lines on design page.jpgsaving as ai file_window1.jpgsaving as ai file.jpgsaving as eps_window1.jpgsaving as eps.jpg

• 3. Re: error saving when using lines
              c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

And you are sure it’s the lines and not related to the images?

• 4. Re: error saving when using lines

yes i have removed pictures and updated pictures but they are not the problem.