6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2012 2:55 PM by Wade_Zimmerman RSS

About Bleed and Save to .pdf

martcol Community Member

I am having a go at a business card and a letterhead which is a spin off from designing a logo for a web site.  I felt sorry for the web site owner and just said, "I'll do that."

Having never produced stuff for print before I have read a bit about it and just want to give the client an illustrator file that she can upload to a print company and get small quantities as she needs them.  I have downloaded templates from a few of these and it seems that a 3mm bleed and a 5mm safety margin is the usual tolerance but I am also getting that printing staionery is not very precise in terms of cuts if you work to those dimensions.

So, I decided to make some elements go way over the edge of the page boundaries rather than try to manage tiny areas of white space around the content.

Does any of that sound like I'm missing the point?

Now, when I saved as .pdf from Illustrator it didn't seem to acknowledge the bleed for one element but it kind of made it fit.  I put a simple path at the very edge/bottom of the page and lined it up with the bleed marks but the .pdf file has it all in the page.

Do you think I might have done something wrong there?

Thanks

Martin

I'm plucking up courage to show you what I've done!