18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2012 9:11 PM by Kar209 RSS

Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6

Kar209 Community Member

Hello:                                                                                    Level: Newbie  OS: Windows 7 64 bit   Illustrator CS6

I am learning about Smart Guides but have found myself a bit perplexed.

I have drawn a Circle with the Ellipse tool by clicking and then entering the values: 432x432

Then I hover the mouse over the "center" square which reads: x:260 & y:259.5 which doesn't make sense to me ~ if it is the Center shouldn't the x & y values match? Any way, so then I manually type in the x & y value boxes 260.000 and they both stay at 260.

However, when I pull out the Smart Guides and place the horizontal guide over the center the x & y values also do not match and so I enter the number manually but the values will not stay where I set them.

e.g. The x value states: 259.5 and the y value: 260.000 and no matter how many times I reset the x value it always reverts back to 259.5 ... ???

The vertical smart guide is also off by rougly .5

Now, since I am attempting to make a symmetrical object ... won't this differentiation cause "eye sores" once the artwork is done?

I am (still) attempting to construct a compass with a rose, increments, needle etc. etc. and my first attempt ... and I quote the awesome Jacob ...

looks as if I have dropped it on the floor

So, after all that ramble'n ... I suppose I would like to know from others if this is just the way things are and rather I am suppose to just deal with things being a "bit" off??

Thank you for your time

hope you're having a great day/night

• 1. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
          Jacob Bugge CommunityMVP

Kara,

When you click, you choose somewhere on the Artboard for your circle, and that somewhere may have any X and Y values (unless you have Align to Pixel Grid on, of course).

You may set the desired (whole/integer) X and Y values in the Transform panel.

• 2. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
            Kar209 Community Member

Hey there Awesome Jacob ...

After selecting the Ellipse tool I click on the tiny square in the center and then enter/change the values. I figure this way I can get close enough to the actual center & go from there.

Then I went to the Transform panel and would enter the values in hopes of a percise placement.

Yes, the Align to Pixel Grid was/is on.

However, inbetween reading the manual and clicking this or that ...

I clicked on the icon for Align to Artboard and switched to Align to Selection but that didn't seem to help so I changed it back to the Align to Artboard and then

changed the values for X & Y and this time it took ... lol ... i am beginning to think that not only is my house haunted but that my laptop is as well!! heeee heee

Ohhh, goodness .... so much to learn!

As always thank you very much for your time & support

Hope all is well with you!!

• 3. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
              Jacob Bugge CommunityMVP

Kara,

When the Align to Pixel Grid is on, the outer bounds of the circle (which are defined by the top/bottom/side Anchor Points) should fall on the (invisible) lines of the pixel grid and have integer pixel values.

The W and H should also be integer values.

If both the W and the H values are even, the centre should have integer X and Y values, but if both/either are/is odd, the centre will have an X and/or Y value that is midway between integer values, in other words whatever.5px.

With W = H = 432, which is even, the centre should have integer values of both X and Y when Align to Pixel Grid is on.

The house being haunted may have confused Illy or made her nervous, or you may have with all that clicking.

In either case, you may consider helping her regain her composure by the reversible procedure to  Move the folder

It is more gentle than ECT, and reversibble.

All is well here, midnight in five minutes.

• 4. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                Kar209 Community Member

Hey Jacob

Just stopped in for a quick moment.

Gotta run but I will say that the Align to Pixel Grid was on but I am still getting numbers with decimal points ... ???

Any way, in the interim what does ECT stand for? I tried the FAQ's for an answer but couldn't find one.

heading out to go help a friend look for his lost kitty. It's been 7 days but we've had several sightings.

Wish us luck. I'll bb 2nite

• 5. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                  Kar209 Community Member

ps.

Would you happen to know if I can use Jing to do a screen shot even if my Print Screen button is not functioning?

Just wondering if you happen to know.

OMG. so, I changed the X value of all my circles ( the housing & the inner circles) to an even 260 rather than 260.5

then i dragged out a Guide to place it at  X 260  but the Y will Not stay at 260 it will Only stay at 260.5 ... ??

However, when I tick OFF the Align to Pixel Grid I can set the Guide to exactly 260 but as soon as I tick the Align to Pixel Grid the

Guides go back to X 260 and Y 260.5

Does it even matter? Will this slight difference throw off my entire compass?

Also, an info box states that when the AtPG is ticked that it Prevents Blurry Lines. What exactly does that mean? Since I've decided not to tick it for now ... will the lines I make for the increments be blurry? Sorry, if I am asking the obvious.

Thanx again. ~ Off to hopefully find kitty kitty

• 6. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                    Jacob Bugge CommunityMVP

Kara,

Are you absolutely sure that both the Width and Height of your circle have even pixel values (as in 432 rather than 423, or 431 or 433)?

However, when I tick OFF the Align to Pixel Grid I can set the Guide to exactly 260 but as soon as I tick the Align to Pixel Grid the Guides go back to X 260 and Y 260.5

An odd Height pixel value is the only possible explanation, unless Illy is quite unwell, hence the suggestion to Move the folder.

ECT is the abbreviation of ElectroConvulsive Therapy, the current term for what was earlier known as shock treatment or electroshock.

Does it even matter? Will this slight difference throw off my entire compass?

You may get away with half a pixel, but it is always better to weed out the strangenesses; it may also be hard to tell how far they may lead Illy astray.

And good luck kittyfinding. Almost half an hour past midnight here.

• 7. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                      Kar209 Community Member

Hey there Jacob ...

So, I've been away from the computer the last few days as it has been all hands on deck to try and find my friends cat

She's been gone for four days now. We've talked to a few people that think they've seen her but we've yet to catch up to her.

We'll walk for a few hours and then sit in a local park for a few hours hoping she'll pass by.

Any way,  yes I am Certain that the Width and Height are set to Even Values. So, yes, I agree it seems time to perform surgery with Move the folder.

Um, so ... lol ... you had me looking all over illy for something that could be ECT ... the tunnel vision that illy has caused me at times certainly could lead me to multiple ECT sessions. ... lol ... never mind giving illy a jolt a two!

Actually, I did consider convulsive therapy as I went to school for psy. But this compass has had me pulling my hair out so much so that the light at the end of that tunnel has felt more like an oncoming train!

Well, I am thinking that illy is ill indeed. Huh, she thinks to herself ... this may be why Jacob calls Illustrator "ILLY" ... lol ... yes, I may be slow but sooner or later I do catch on.

Below is my most resent attempt at the compass. Now, please consider that I had to eye everything out because it seems as thought NONE of the info in the H, W, X or Y values are correct.

And ... comparatively speaking ... this one looks as if I picked it up off the floor and brushed it off ... heee heee ... at least imho

I'll be back and btw ~ thanx so much for the link to the ICU for illy!!

It's 11:10pm here & all's (pretty) well

ps. ty 4 the good luck wishes for kitty

• 8. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                        Kar209 Community Member

LOL ... man I am tired

I forgot to post the compass

Here it is ...

Drum Roll Please ...

Are you drumming??

Golden-Compass-FINAL.png

• 9. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                          Kar209 Community Member

I didn't add much of a shadow this time. Not sure if I like it w/less of a shadow or not.

ppppppppps....

Can I set a stroke value to a half pixel? ie: 0.5?

I thought I could before but now I'm not sure.

Gotta do that Move Folder thing 1st thing 2mar...'O

Am just wondering in the interim ... think'n maybe an other ill illy thing

Thanx again SO MUCH Awesome J !!

• 10. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                            Larry G. Schneider CommunityMVP

The Stroke value can be set to any number, including decimal points IF the Align to Pixel Grid is not ON. If it is on, then only whole numbers can be used.

• 11. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                              Kar209 Community Member

Thank you Larry 

Do you think everything looks aligned?

• 12. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                                Jacob Bugge CommunityMVP

Kara,

I am glad the Stroke Weight was solved.

Everything looks aligned, congratulations with the freehand work.

I hope the slight difference (3 - 4%) in width/height only applies to the raster image.

Or it may be another thing pointing at the folder.

By the way, has anyone ever mentioned that View>Smart Guides may be your (only) friends?

• 13. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                                  Kar209 Community Member

Hey Jacob ...

So, I did the Move the Folder but ... dang'it I'm slow at times ... and so, I am unsure if I followed your directions right ...

I signed into my computer under admin and then when I searched my C drive for the Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings folder ... two folders came up

One for the Admin account and one for mine

So, I right clicked on both of them and chose ... Move to Desktop ... placing both folders on the Desktop of the Admin

Then I restarted my computer and logged in under my user name not as the Admin & then opened Illustrator but I am still having the same problems.

The Align tool doesn't Align so I gotta eye things out. The first compass I showed you was a result of "listening" to illustrators X/Y/H/W settings.

And when I have the Align to Pixel Grid ON I still do not have integer values when they ought to very well be integers.

So, I just hoping I didn't go about things the right way.

I am now going to go log back into my pc as an Admin and undo the Moved folders and give things a go again.

Jacob ... you've been such a huge support to me that I cannot thank you near enough!!

PS. to check things I made a circle that's 300x300 > the W = 300 and H = 300 and the X = 250 and the Y = 250 < the Align to Pixel Grid is on

Then I choose the Line tool and make a Line of 20px > then directly below I make an other Line of 20px with the Align to Pixel Grid on ...

I select the top 20px Line and the Values are: X = 249.5 and Y = 132  H = < Align Pixel Grid is on

I select the bottom one and X = 250 and Y = 358 and H = 20 and W = 0 < Aliign Pixel Grid on

Then I Group them both and the values are: X = 249.5 and Y = 245 and H = 246 and W = 0

Then I Rotate by 20 degrees and the first set Values are: same as just above

The next set Values are: X = 249.5 and the rest is the same as above

The next set Values are: X = 249.5 and Y = 245 and H = 231.164 and W = 84.137

As I go around the H & W values keep changing. After all you've patiently taught me ... they shouldn't change? OR the H & W do change b/c the bounding boxes outline the Path and Not the line itself ... right?

The 5th copy Values change to: X = 249.5 and Y = 244.999 and so on from there. Not to beat a dead horse but is this how it ought to be?

Uhhh sigh ... ...

• 14. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                                    Jacob Bugge CommunityMVP

Kara,

Pondering over this, I have come to think about the Stroke Weight (if any).

Align To Pixel Grid will ensure that the outer bounds in the X and Y directions have whole pixel values, so if there is a Stroke Weight of 1px (or similarly with another odd value), and you choose an even Width/Height value, this value applies to the centre of the stroke (unless you have Edit>Preferences>General>Use Preview Bounds ticked) so the Width/Height between the outer bounds will be odd, namely 1px more (1/2px on either side), so the artwork will be pushed 1/2px either way, miving the centre to a decimal value, whatever.5px.

But this should apply to bith directions, so both the X and Y values at the centre should be either whole or whatever.5.

In other words, using Align to Pixel Grid along with an odd Stroke Weight, you should use a Width/Height equalling the desired (outer) value minus the Stroke Weight, to get even Outer Bound values and whole px centre values.

Is there a reason to use Align to Pixel Grid?

Still pondering over the other aspects.

Kitty found?

• 15. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                                      Kar209 Community Member

I'm about to read your response

but i just noticed i left out the Height value for the Line that I place at the top (inside) of the circle which is: H = 20px

okay, going to read your response now. i'm just so retentive that i couldn't help but make that correction first.

• 16. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                                        Kar209 Community Member

Hey Jacob...

Thank you for asking about the kitty. We haven't found her yet but several people seem pretty certain that they've seen her. So, we are still hopeful.

Any way, when I click/hover over the square at the center of the circle rather the Align Pixel Grid is on or off ... it seems (thus far/as of now) that

indeed the numbers are integers and this is so rather I make a circle or ellipse. ie: rather it's 300 X 300 or 200 X 350 but if I make an ellipse and

set it to say 200.50 X 350.25 then the center has decimal Values.

The problem I am having is not with the Values for the circle but the Values for the Lines that I Group and then Rotate.

[ By the way, in my message above I left out the Height Value for the Top (inside) Line which is (of course) 20px ]

I do not know of any particular reason why the Align to Pixel Grid needs to be used. I just assumed ... from my Newbie lack of experience that it

should be on ... ?? And then from there I thought that it ought to be working correctly should there come a time when it does indeed need to be

ticked on. Ohhh ... and I believe the tutorial said it should be on & considering how a lot of the instructions in the tut were altogether wrong I

wouldn't be surprised if that was wrong too.

The reason I asked if I could draw a Line (either w/the Line tool or Brush) at 1/2 a pixel or even 1/4 is because when I Scaled down the compass

to an icon size the increments get all smooshed together and so I am hoping if I used a smaller stroke value that the compass would look better

at an icon size.

So, w/regard to the Move the Folder ... I am unsure of how to make a subfolder or even where I would make one. I am going to have to Google

that 2mar'o.

I ended up deleting the Adobe Illustrator Settings folders that I had moved to the Desktop under the User Admin. And then I restarted my

computer and then I logged back into the Admin and again Moved the Settings folder to the Desktop and then I did the same for my username.

Is that all I needed to do?

Well, as always thank you very much for everything. Thanx for helping me work through things. I dunno what I would have done without you!!

I would very much like to solve the issue with the Grouped Lines thing. I am going to do what I can to figure it out on my end.

And yes, lol ... you have mentioned many times that Smart Guides are my friends. I have started to use them and have been reading up.

Thank you for letting me know that they are so useful and that I should make them close friends

• 17. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                                          Jacob Bugge CommunityMVP

Kara,

I apologize for my overlooking this thread for days (and nights).

When you need to scale down something like the compass, you should have Scale Strokes & Effects ticked. You can do that in Edit>Preferences>General or in the Transform palette/panel flyout.

The Align to Pixel Grid only makes sense in connexion with web and similar use, when you really wish the artwork to (simplistically) have shapes that follow/are contained in whole pixels.

About the folder:

Is that all I needed to do?

Indeed.

I hope good luck has struck.

• 18. Re: Cannot center Smart Guides exactly? CS6
                                            Kar209 Community Member

hey (AJ) Jacob

No worries. I appreciate whatever time you have for me more than words can express.

Besides, I've been straight out with plumbing issues in my house. OOOOhhhhh I miss renting! LOL

Not much to say about this thread 2nite except I'm sorry that there's an other thread with the same issue ... (though  I don't think it started that way)

Too tired to think 2nite but I'll be back to luk if I have resolved the oh so annoying line size changing thing.