9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2015 7:07 AM by jackzuckerphotography RSS

Photos go dark after export

technodunce Community Member

I use Lightroom 2.3 64-bit on a Windows 7 Home Premium operating system to process my RAW photos. When I export a post-processed photo to a folder on my hard drive, it appears very dark and muddy-looking, even though it seemed fine in the Lightroom catalog. I've had prints made from the exported files, and they also appear very dark and muddy. Also, oddly enough, when I return to the Lightroom catalog after exporting a photo, ALL the photos in Lightroom appear darker than they were prior to the export. If I close Lightroom and return later, they seem OK again (except for the already exported photos, which remain dark). Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Photos go dark after export
          Mandhir Bhatia Employee Hosts

It may have something to do with Lightroom automatically working in the ProPhoto color space.

The Lightroom uses the ProPhoto RGB color space which has a much wider gamut of colors to handle however while saving to JPG you need to check which of the color profile is set during export i.e. Adobe RGB, Pro Photo RGB or sRGB.

If its sRGB it might add up some extra tint and show the file changed.

Second thing would be what happens if you see your exported pic again imported in Lightroom.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Mandhir

• 2. Re: Photos go dark after export

Thanks for your input, Mandhir. I had exported the files using Adobe RGB,

not sRGB. I took your suggestion and re-imported one of the files. When

compared side-by side with the original processed file, the re-imported one

appears darker. Any more ideas?

• 3. Re: Photos go dark after export
              Brett N Employee Hosts

It sounds like you are saying that everything is bright in Lightroom until you export, and then they are dark, but randomly later they are light again. Are you seeing dark and light versions of your files when you switch between the Library and Develop modules?

• 4. Re: Photos go dark after export
                thedigitaldog CommunityMVP

They look darker where (viewed in what application other than LR?).

A ProPhoto exported image viewed in a color managed app should look fine. Any color space viewed in a non color managed app may look awful, or dark, or over/under saturated.

• 5. Re: Photos go dark after export

The photos that have been exported are dark and never get light again.

The exported file that I tested by re-importing it to Lightroom (Mandhir's

suggestion) remained dark. If I export a photo from Lightroom and view it

in Windows Photo Viewer, then return to Lightroom, it seems that all of the

photos in Lightroom are darker than they were before I exported a photo. If

I then close Lightroom and re-open it later, the photos there all look

lighter again. I don't normally see any difference in files when switching

between the Library and Develop modules, although some time ago there was a

difference in just one particular file. Thanks, Brett for your interest and

response.

• 6. Re: Photos go dark after export

They look darker when viewed in Windows Photo Viewer, and when printed by a

local lab. I exported them in Adobe RGB(1998) color space.

• 7. Re: Photos go dark after export
                      thedigitaldog CommunityMVP

technodunce wrote:

They look darker when viewed in Windows Photo Viewer, and when printed by a

local lab. I exported them in Adobe RGB(1998) color space.

Let’s forget about the lab... I’m a Mac guy, not sure that Windows Photo Viewer is ICC aware. Do you have Photoshop? Or Elements. What happens if you export in sRGB, closer in Windows Viewer? You really need to find another ICC color aware application to view the images and compare to LR. Even Safari Windows should do this IF you embed the ICC profile, then use it’s Open command.

• 8. Re: Photos go dark after export

Thanks, Andrew for your input. I don't have Photoshop, Elements or Safari

Windows. I'm also not sure if Windows Viewer is ICC aware. I tried

exporting a file in sRGB and viewed it in Windows Photo Viewer (when I go

to the "Pictures" folder on my hard drive and select a file, it

automatically opens in Windows Photo Viewer). You're right, I really do

need to find another app that's ICC aware. I'll work on that. Hope I'm not

wasting everyone's time with this. I sure do appreciate the help. I didn't

pick the screen name "technodunce" for nothing! [?]  I DO want to learn

though, so thanks for your patience.

• 9. Re: Photos go dark after export
                          jackzuckerphotography Community Member

i have the same issue. I shoot in Adobe RGB and export to sRGB