• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loosing Images when Importing Word Doc to ROBOHELP HTML

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2006 Nov 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an old project that was created through RoboHelp and generated as a printed documentation.

When I went in to create a new project and Import this Old Printed Documentation of RoboHelp all the images displayed and it came through ok (beside some minor formatting issues)

But when i went in and edited w/ Word and saved or saved as webpages, I loose the images when it is generated as a Printed Documentation or HTML.. if generated as a WebHelp the images are displayed. I need the images to display for the Printed as well for the HTML...

Any advice? Am i doing something wrong (hopefully!) Everything is completed and ready to be sent out-- but the pictures are missing.

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You say "when i went in and edited w/ Word..." but you have posted in the RH HTML forum. Why would you be editing in Word if the project is a RH HTML project? If you are using Word as the editor from RH HTML I would book a few destressing sessions!

When Word saves a document as a web page it saves the images in a separate folder. I suspect that your method has confused RH and it has lost track of the images. Do they appear in the Project Manager images folder view?

Post back explaining things a bit more.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps I have followed in creating this project. I could be doing everything wrong and backwards--which is quite possible since i'm new with this software.
1. Opened up RoboHelp HTML
2. Create New project
3. Import
4. Word Document (follwed all steps)
5. Loaded everything in okay (just minor formatting issues)
6. Right Mouse Click on the topic (to edit the formatting issues)
7. selected Edit with Word 2003
8. Made my changes.
9. Selected Save
10. Closed the word document

and did that to every topic I had (which lost the images!)

So above w/ your comment "
You say "when i went in and edited w/ Word..." but you have posted in the RH HTML forum. Why would you be editing in Word if the project is a RH HTML project? If you are using Word as the editor from RH HTML I would book a few destressing sessions!"

I think i realized that when i am in here i need to edit w/ any of the options I see except word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter's, and my, sarcasm towards editing HTML pages in Word probably don't translate to well here. If you create a file in Word and save as HTML, look at the source code it generates to see why this is not a good option. RH's code is far from perfect but at least it's not as bad as Word's I'd recommend you use RH as your default HTML Editor. You can set this via the HTML Editors tab available from the Tools | Options menu item. You can use the WYSIWYG or Truecode Editor view depending on your needs and comfort with HTML.

As far as the image problem is concerned, Peter's advice is sound as usual. Are the images shown in the images folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi all

Colum's advice here is sound. However, while looking at the Tools > Options... > HTML Editors tab, there is one final tweak that should occur. Near the bottom of this dialog are two options:
* Auto-select Editor
* Use Default Editor
By default, Auto-select is enabled. You need to configure this to "Use Default". Otherwise, RoboHelp might see Word created these HTML files and open Word for you when you double click them inside RoboHelp HTML. You really want it to simply open the files inside the RoboHelp HTML WYSIWYG editor.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images do show in the image folder, and also in the WYSIWYG view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. That's a good start as we know where they exist. As Peter says, RH has become confused probably by the topics being edited through Word. Try deleting and re-adding the images from the RH images folder. You may also want to run the Unused Files report from the Tools | Reports menu after you compile to clear up any images created by your word edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and never edit in word again?? 😉 just in the WYSIWYG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well "Never" is a little strong but if you do so as a matter of course you are asking for sleepless nights, hair loss, impotency and alcohol/drug dependency. Why use Word when there is perfectly goo editor built into RH designed specifically for the purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cause i find word easy 😮

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's your choice at the end of the day. It maybe a learning curve for you but you'll have a new skill at the end of it. These forums are full of problems caused by people edited topics in word. You may be lucky and never have another problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You may be lucky and never have another problem." Yeah right, and the Pope will be preaching at the Synagogue in future.

You and Colum are both right. Word is easy to use but that is in the context of using for its intended purpose, producing documents. When it comes to producing HTML it is in a class of its own for causing problems. If you save a Word document in HTML format and then open it in something that counts the lines, there will be a given number of lines. Put that code through something that removes the unnecessary garbage and you will have an unbelievably smaller number of lines, but still with the capability of messing up your output.

If it your requirements are straightforward, then it may work for you but remember this post if you do hit problems.

Take a look at some of the topics on my site if you want further information on this.

Please don't think we are trying to knock what you are doing. We are trying to help by pointing out that your chosen method is likely to cause problems.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp