• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 keeps randomly crashing

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought CS6 upgrade from CS5 this week but it keeps randomly crashing I mainly use CS6 for digital art with my wacom intuos tablet. I have never had this problem with CS5 and I have a decent spec PC with 8 GB Ram and a quadcore CPU so I dont understand why this is happening. In the preferences menu I have save in backround and automatically save information every 10 minutes options checked. But the ironic thing is that when I have been drawing a long time and Photoshop crashes and when I reopen CS6 there is no recovery file and the origional file hasnt been updated with auto save. I have 7 different versions of a particular digital painting I have been working on but CS6 only saved 2 recovery files from the 7 versions and has crashed atleast 16 times between my work. I have CS6 updated to the latest version from online update but the problem still persists. Can anyone offer me any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not notice your OS, or whether you are running the 32-bit, or 64-bit version of PS. That info might help.

I also did not notice mention of any error/warning dialog messages. Were there any?

If on Windows, go to Event Viewer, and look in both System and Applications, and at the time of a crash. Do you see any warning, or error messages at that time? Open each, read, and if there is a link, follow ALL of them. It is likely that one will be helpful.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit and I am getting this problem with both the 32bit and 64bit versions of CS6, I kinda made a mistake in saying that CS6 crashes what I meant to say is that it keeps randomly closing while working on a painting. (I always get crashing and closing mixed up sorry) basicly the message that appears when it is about to close says "Photoshop has stopped working" with the option to close the message, and when I click the close button the whole program closes.  And I have my C: drive as the scratch disk which is the main drive in my PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's actually a crash.

You might want to go into your Windows Event Logs and see what's being saved there.  Usually there's more specific information about what went wrong.

Click Start, type event into the search box, and click View Event Logs when it comes up.  Navigate into Windows Logs > Application, and look for entries that have red Error indications coincident with the "stopped working" incidents you've seen.  It might be useful if you'd copy the details out of one of those and put it up here.

Also go into the Windows Logs > System section and look for errors there.  Your system will track, for example, if it's experiencing disk errors.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem and follwed to the red error details: Log Name:      Application Source:        Application Error Date:          7/19/2012 12:46:40 PM Event ID:      1000 Task Category: (100) Level:        Error Keywords:      Classic User:          N/A Computer:      Ramona-HP Description: Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 13.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f61c045 Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f034a Exception code: 0x40000015 Fault offset: 0x00000000000761c9 Faulting process id: 0x14a4 Faulting application start time: 0x01cd65da5e3a1967 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\MSVCR100.dll Report Id: 13889778-d1d2-11e1-bef5-00038a000015 Event Xml:           1000    2    100    0x80000000000000        60784    Application    Ramona-HP            Photoshop.exe    13.0.0.0    4f61c045    MSVCR100.dll    10.0.40219.1    4d5f034a    40000015    00000000000761c9    14a4    01cd65da5e3a1967    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\MSVCR100.dll    13889778-d1d2-11e1-bef5-00038a000015 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rsbjsb, what were you doing at the time of this crash?

Have you tried removing all plug-ins you have added (and making sure the Extra Plug-ins Folder setting is cleared) to see if the problem is avoided?

Are your drivers (e.g., display driver) up to date?

Since the faulting module is a Microsoft visual C++ library (MSVCR100.dll), your crash report is not a particularly strong indication of anything in particular that could be wrong.  Code 0x40000015 is a fatal exit in a library module; I'm not sure it tells us much.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely causes would be a third party plugin or a driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks...I have a lot of third party plugins...do I delete all  of them and

start redoing them ? thanks for your response...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just put a  ~ in front of the plugins folder name, then relaunch Photoshop. That'll prevent the plugins from loading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris...thank you, but where do I find that symbol? thanks again Ramona

In a message dated 7/19/2012 1:30:57 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,

forums@adobe.com writes:

Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps randomly crashing

created by Chris Cox (http://forums.adobe.com/people/Chris+Cox) in

Photoshop General Discussion - View the full discussion

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/4568111#4568111)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rsbjsb wrote:

Chris...thank you, but where do I find that symbol?…

Ramona,

To type the tilde ~ press the key right below the Escape key in your keyboard + Shift. 

Apple_keyboard_tilde.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gee - I had looked all over!  ok, I added that symbol to  the plugins and

PS 6 started fine.  Then I took the symbol out and  restarted PS6 and the

noise ninja worked fine.  I had also updated a couple  of drivers.  so THANK

YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying noise ninja...it's worked in the past...

I can remove all plug- ins..but what is the extra plu-ins folder and where 

is the setting? thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could temporarily move the entire contents of your Plug-ins folder to another place (i.e., clear it out entirely).

For 64 bit Photoshop that would be here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins

Put them (temporarily) in a completely different place, as Photoshop will enumerate things in all subfolders of the above.

Keep in mind that some plug-in installers actually add stuff to the Photoshop main area itself, so if the above doesn't yield success you might have to remove Photoshop, clean up all plug-ins, then reinstall and install your plug-ins one by one, methodically testing for the recurrence of the problem as you go along.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, I did move the plug in folder to another location - but  when I

restarted the computer, then restarted ps6 the plugins were back - in  both

places! Darnest thing...but seemed to clear whatever error I had.   thanks for

the help. I also updated the drivers per discussion...thanks again,  Ramona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mysterious appearing / disappearing files is not something to just shrug your shoulders about.  Computers do not just move plug-in files around on their own.

Either you caused it by an operation you did (or didn't do) inadvertently, you're not looking at what you think you're looking at (e.g., you're looking at the 32 bit area instead of the 64 bit area), or something's VERY wrong with your system.  I certainly wouldn't let something like that go without getting to the bottom of why you're seeing something you shouldn't be seeing.

Details matter.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I will work on this...thanks again

In a message dated 7/19/2012 4:29:46 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,

forums@adobe.com writes:

created by Noel Carboni (http://forums.adobe.com/people/Noel+Carboni) in

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/4568633#4568633)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Noel, thank you for the advice. After I updated the drivers I

started researching my third party plugins and found an update for noise ninja to

stop it crashing ps6. Are you the prodigital owner? I thought I"d buy the

star program to support your efforts. Again, really appreciate your help.

regards

In a message dated 7/19/2012 4:29:46 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,

forums@adobe.com writes:

created by Noel Carboni (http://forums.adobe.com/people/Noel+Carboni) in

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/4568633#4568633)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.  Yes, ProDigital Software is my company, thanks.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else was reporting they weren't seeing Auto-Save work when the scratch drive is anything other than their system drive.  What are your scratch settings?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having this same problem. I have narrowed it down to the moment that I go to use the keyboard shortcut to change the background and forground colors (spacbar+x) instead of changing the background to forground it changes them both to white and then crashes. When I open Photoshop back up the forground color is green.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amy.malanga wrote:

…the moment that I go to use the keyboard shortcut to change the background and forground colors (spacbar+x)…

What's wrong with using just the X key, as per the documentation?     Why the Spacebar? 

Admittedly, ideally an application should never, ever crash…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines