• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong Page Displaying as 1st Page in Generated Help

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have designated the following topic as the start page for the WebHelp I'm generating:

C:\12.1\CoreDevelopment\Main\src\MResources\Help\WebHelp\Help_Landing_Page.htm

However, after the WebHelp is generated, it's actually showing some other file as the first page (i.e., I generate WebHelp, click View Results, and this other Help page displays as the first page). This other page is in the following location:

C:/12.1/CoreDevelopment/Main/src/MResources/Help/WebHelp/Questions_List_Pages/Find_Courses.htm

What could be causing this problem and how do I fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What version of RoboHelp are you using? If it's version 9, are you also using the Content Categories feature?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH9. Nope, not using content categories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

You DID lead me to the answer! After reading your reply, I expanded the Content Categories area and clicked "Content<Default>". I saw the page in the "Default Topic" field was incorrect (I guess RH picks a default one), so I selected "Help_Landing_ Page.htm", generated WH again and voila! The correct 1st page now displays!

I think that's bad on RH's part...having users select a start page on the "General" tab, but you *also* have to go to the "Content<Default>" tab and select the same page again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry LaKisha but I can't agree that with your last line.

Go to any web site and you are presented with a page, no matter what it contains it is a page.

When a user opens the help, they have to open a page, that page has always been known as the start page. In the RoboHelp dialog you are not selecting a topic, you are defining where the start page will be generated and its filename. Prior to RoboHelp 9 that filename defaulted to the project name.

Also in the dialog in older versions of RoboHelp, the same page of the dialog where you configure the webhelp output contained another field for the default topic. A topic is presented in one of the three frames of the page presented to users, the start page and logically the start page opens with the default topic in the main frame.

That had to change in RoboHelp 9 because of content categories.They allow the help to be presented with different groups of content so the default topic for one may not even be in the topics of another category. Each category has to have its own default topic, hence moving where the default topic is defined from the same page as the Start Page to where the content categories are defined.

I think the confusion is that you are thinking of the default topic as being the same as the start page. They are very different things.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahhhh, yesssss, that DOES make sense.   Believe it or not, I have actually used that properly in my previous project, but I've been working on the same Help project for sooooo long that when I started a new one this weekend, I forgot why things are the way they are, with regard to the start page and default topic.   Thanks for reminding me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp