8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2012 12:49 PM by MurraySummers RSS

Ivy54 Community Member

I have a really quick question.  If I plan to use two different templates to create one website, can I create one template with a wrapper tag and the other with a container tag?  The reason being that the dimensions for both will be different.  Thanks ahead of time.

• 1. Re: Question
          MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

A wrapper tag and a container tag are the same thing, you know?  Your question is a bit odd as a result.

However you can certainly have more than one template in a site (although it's not optimal), and each template can have a different layout design.

• 2. Re: Question
            Ivy54 Community Member

Right, the wrapper tag will be used to create one template (ex.  dimensions will be 800 x 933) and the container tag will be used to create another template  (ex. dimensions 600 x 933).  The header and the menu bar will be the same, it's just an adjustment in the content area.  Does that make sense?  Do you have another suggestion?

• 3. Re: Question
              MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

Not really.  In your mind, what is the difference between a 'wrapper' tag and a 'container' tag?

If the question you are asking is "Can I create two templates for a site, one of which specifies a page width of 800px and the other of which specifies a page width of 600px?" then the answer is "Certainly you can".

• 4. Re: Question
                Nancy O. MVP

I don't like using multiple templates either.  A better approach might be to create two CSS Layout classes:

#wrapper {margin: 0 auto; border: 1px solid green}

.layout1 {width: 900px}

.layout2 {width:500px}

<div id="wrapper" class="layout1">

This is layout 1

<div id="wrapper" class="layout2">

This is layout 2

Does this make more sense?

Nancy O.

• 5. Re: Question
                  Ivy54 Community Member

There is no difference between a wrapper and container tag. 

Sorry, let me rephrase my question.  If I use a container tag for both templates and each template has 2 different dimensions won't dreamweaver get confused?  That is why I thought using a wrapper tag for one template and container tag for the other template would be less confusing. 

• 6. Re: Question
                    Ivy54 Community Member

Thanks, that helps and thank God I didn't start creating another template before asking. 

• 7. Re: Question
                      Nancy O. MVP

I should add, that you can accomplish this with only 1 Template by making the class attribute editable in your Template and Child pages.  See F1 (help) making an editable attribute in Templates.

Nancy O.

• 8. Re: Question
                        MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

So let me try to clarify:

A container tag and a wrapper tag are both HTML elements that can contain other HTML elements.  For example, a div, or a table, or a paragraph, or a span, or a list element are all containers and at the same time can all be wrappers - it's like TO-MAY-TO vs TO-MAH-TO.  An image is NOT a container or a wrapper.  Neither is a break, or a horizontal rule.  Your continued use of these two identical ways of referring to HTML tags is confusing you.

Now, you say "each template has 2 different dimensions..." and I say "HUH?".  Let's cut to the chase - show us an example of what you are wanting to use for the two templates (the code please).