16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 1:18 PM by Noel Carboni RSS

AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

Greg Bohn Community Member

Hi;

Are the AMD 12.6 'official WHQL' drivers supposed to be 'fixed' and working with Photoshop CS6?

I immediately had trouble with the 'Graphics Acceleration" when I got Photoshop CS6 (on my HD 5870 video card). Using the AMD 12.4 drivers, things like the liquefy filter were horribly slow.

I dropped back to 12.2 and things improved.

I saw that some people seemed to be having better luck with the 12.6 beta. So, I just updated my video drivers to the final non-beta WHQL 12.6 drivers.

Sadly, the Liquefy performance is still terrible (extremely laggy). Disabling Graphics Acceleration has way faster performance.

Is this par for the course, or are others having any better luck?

Thanks;

• 1. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?
          Noel Carboni Community Member

I have a 5670 card with Windows 7 x64, and I had good luck with 12.2 myself.

When Catalyst 12.6 was released on the AMD site I upgraded, and so far 12.6 seems to be working as well for me as 12.2 did.  I don't have the problems you describe.

-Noel

• 2. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?
            Curt Y Community Member

Perhaps you have remnants of old driver.  What GPU driver version does it list when you click Help/system info in PS?

• 3. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

> What GPU driver version does it list when you click Help/system info in PS

Sadly, this doesn't directly show the packaging version (like '12.6'). The version shows as 8.980.0, which as far as I can tell seems about right when taken with the driver date.

I have added the first entries below:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:12, Stepping:2 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2

Physical processor count: 6

Processor speed: 3337 MHz

Built-in memory: 16375 MB

Free memory: 14752 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 14759 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %

Image tile size: 128K

Image cache levels: 4

Liquify crashed on 5/21/2012 at 9:56:58 PM (Evaluating GPU Capabilities)

The GPU Sniffer crashed on 7/5/2012 at 3:07:11 PM

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

Video Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Video Card Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Display: 1

Display Bounds:=  top: 0, left: 0, bottom: 1200, right: 1920

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

OpenCL Unavailable

Driver Version: 8.980.0.0

Driver Date: 20120611000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.d ll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Video Card Memory: 1024 MB

Video Rect Texture Size: 16384

• 4. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?
                Chris Cox Adobe Employee

>>> Liquify crashed on 5/21/2012 at 9:56:58 PM (Evaluating GPU Capabilities)

>>> The GPU Sniffer crashed on 7/5/2012 at 3:07:11 PM

Your driver has a crashing bug.

You probably need to contact AMD and work with them to get details so they can fix the bug.

• 5. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

The problem may be with specific GPUs and not others...  Or it could be with the specific images and operations you're attempting.  I've seen no crashes like that.  Same driver version, apparently:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:7, Stepping:6 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1

Physical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3158 MHz

Built-in memory: 16382 MB

Free memory: 13370 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 14752 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 91 %

Image tile size: 128K

Image cache levels: 4

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

Video Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Video Card Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5670

Display: 2

Display Bounds:=  top: 0, left: 1600, bottom: 1200, right: 3200

Display: 1

Display Bounds:=  top: 0, left: 0, bottom: 1200, right: 1600

Video Card Number: 2

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670

OpenCL Unavailable

Driver Version: 8.980.0.0

Driver Date: 20120611000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.d ll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: ATI Radeon HD 5670

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: Radmin Mirror Driver V3

OpenCL Unavailable

Driver Version: 3.1.0.0

Driver Date: 20070808000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver:

Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: Radmin Mirror Driver V3

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\

Temporary file path: C:\TEMP\

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Scratch volume(s):

C:\, 1.75T, 1001.5G free

Required Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Required\

Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\

Additional Plug-ins folder: C:\DEV\ProDigital\trunk\plugins\Output\Win\LastBuild\x64\

-Noel

• 6. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

> Your driver has a crashing bug.

Let's see, on 5/21/2012 that was almost certainly driver version 12.4, and yes it did crash. That, and the horrible graphics de-celeration were why I reverted back to 12.2 in the first place. Numerous people also complained about the same problem with 12.4

I'm pretty sure 7/5/12 would have been while using 12.2, which actually works pretty well for me. I don't really remember what happened back then, but overall 12.2 runs fairly good for me and I don't recall any crashes with it (at least that I remember).

So, neither of those happened with the 12.6 driver, which I just started to try yesterday. So, there are no 12.6 crashes to work with them on, and everything else I use seems to work fine. It's only Photoshop that has a problem...

I was trying to use the latest non-beta version (12.6) to see if the problems of 12.4 were gone. So far, I just get really horrible performance with Liquify (which is mostly all I've tried so far). I did quickly try 'Oil-Paint', and it seemed to work quickly without an obvious issue.

Using a .jpg of size 3072 x 2304, I can open the 'Liquify'  filter, but dragging the pointer around while holding down the left mouse has to be 100 to 1000x slower than when I uncheck 'Use Graphics Processor'.

The screen image updating gets far behind the mouse pointer, and if I let go of the left mouse button before the drawing catches up, it seems to 'hang' for several seconds before updating again (apparently when it's all done).

Un-checking the use graphics option, and screen updating (for this same operation) is silky smooth. (Of course if I 'commit' these changes it seems to take several seconds for it to do the rest of the work...)

I tried uninstalling 12.6, then re-installing with the same results. I tried then using the 12.7 Beta (6/28/12) without much apparent difference.

At this point I'm starting to give up hope that Adobe and AMD will be able to fix this...

• 7. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

From what I can see, Liquify relies on shader programming in the GPU.

Try Edit - Preferences - Performance, [Advanced Settings...] and changing the mode to one of the lower modes, e.g., Normal or Basic.

-Noel

• 8. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

> The problem may be with specific GPUs and not others..

Possibly so. Just for fun, I've attached a .jpg with the image of the start of the Adobe Info report I get using the AMD 12.7 Beta drivers.

>   Or it could be with the specific images and operations you're attempting

I tried this on a few images from my Digital camera, as well as some screen grabs and all with the same effect.

12.7Beta-Info.jpg

• 9. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

> Try Edit - Preferences - Performance, [Advanced Settings...] and changing the mode to one of the lower modes, e.g., Normal or Basic.

That didn't seem to help much. It might have been a bit quicker at 'basic', but no where near as fast as without using the 'graphics processor'.

I did discover something interesting though. The slow down seems to be confined to the Filter 'Preview' window where you drag the cursor to set the effect.

If I let it finish (after it's drawing slowly as I go along), and then later apply the same 'Liquify' effect on a different image (by opening a new image and selecting Filter/Liquify (the one now at the top of the filter list), it only takes a second or two to apply a Liquify effect to the new image.

So, whatever the issue is, it seems related to the part where you drag the mouse around in the Filter window (or whatever it's called)...

-Greg

• 10. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

Just to be sure, did you close and restart Photoshop after making the change to Basic or Normal?

FYI, I think I jinxed myself by earlier saying things were working pretty well for me...  I had a Photoshop crash while using the Filter - Render - Lighting Effects filter a little while ago.

-Noel

• 11. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

> Just to be sure, did you close and restart Photoshop after making the change to Basic or Normal?

Doesn't seem to make any difference (the closing and restarting).

Playing with some of the filters, it does appear that some things are being sped up when using the 'Acceleration'. It's just the interactive part of the Liquify that seems to be problematic for me (at least so far).

> I had a Photoshop crash

Sometimes Computers seem like they were a bad idea :-)

-Greg

• 12. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?
                                SG... Adobe Employee

Hi Greg,

I have a 5870 card with Windows 7 x64, and the interaction performance for the GPU accelerated Liquify is working well with 12.6 Beta drivers. I need to update them to the official 12.6 release and give it a try again tomorrow.

I'll also check with the developer to see if there's some other file that needs to be removed; I don't recall any dependency but you're still getting the older GPU Sniffer data in the system log and it would be nice to clear that.

regards,

steve

• 13. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

> update them to the official 12.6 release and give it a try again tomorrow.

Thanks.

In the meantime I was trying a few things to see if they made a difference.

I need to do some more testing, but so far it appears that this problem doesn't happen if I don't install the 'Catalyst Control Center'.

I started by  uninstalling the whole driver (using the uninstall option of the 12.6 WHQL installer). After a reboot,  I then selected to install only the drivers part (without the 6 or seven other components you can chose from in a custom install). In the past, I was just installing everything.

CS6/Liquify then seemed to work like 12.2 does. I then selected to install the 12.6 Catalyst Control Center (by re-running the 12.6 WHQL installer). After that, my issue with CS6 Liquify  was back.

It's not obvious to me what the connection is. The 12.2 install of 'everything' included a version of the CCC, and I don't didn't see the problem then.

I don't know if this installs something incompatible with CS6, or activates some feature of the drivers, or what. I'll have to do a little more checking.

• 14. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

Very interesting observation, Greg.  I can't imagine what the CCC has to do with ongoing stability.  I wonder if there could be intermittency here also affecting the results.

For what it's worth, I have the CCC installed and (outside the crash I reported with toggling the [  ] Preview option) the Liquify function seems to work fine.

-Noel

• 15. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

O.k. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

I solved my problem, but the solution wasn't for the faint of heart, (or for those without a good backup).

Uninstalling and re-installing the drivers didn't seem to help. So I tried using the Automated uninstall followed by a manual removal of all the left-over bits, followed by a re-install of version 12.6 WHQL.

Now my Liquify (in CS6) seems smooth (even with CCC). I'll have to see if anything got broken, but at least insofar as CS6 goes, things seem better.

I can only guess that something was left over from prior video driver updates that was silently messing things up.

In case anyone else needs to try, I followed the procedure at http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-g raphics-cards .

Of course, messing with your system this way can kill it. I would have been a little more squeamish if I didn't have an 'image' backup of my system (in case things went south).

Thanks;

-Greg

• 16. Re: AMD 12.6 drivers. Working with CS6 Yet?

Thanks for following-up, Greg.

It's well known that display drivers don't always clean up properly during uninstalls.  I myself saw that the ATI driver set doesn't properly remove its OpenCL support, though I had always assumed that an UPgrade (to a newer version) would likely overwrite older files.

Others have mentioned using a tool called Driver Sweeper, though I have never tried it.  A tool I HAVE used is AutoRuns, which can help find remnants of software still starting that shouldn't.

And absolutely, emphatically YES!!!  A backup is always a good thing to have.  My system makes System Image backups every night.  I hope that people read your comment and at least someone starts making backups as a result.

-Noel