14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2012 7:56 PM by Peddle4ever RSS

Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

Peddle4ever

I just installed LR 4 after having used LR 3.5 for quite awhile.  It was a big letdown when I immediately discovered this instability.  It crashes every few minutes while making adjustments in Develop.  For example, Sharpen Detail.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    lightroom.exe

Application Version:    4.1.0.11

Application Timestamp:    4fb2266f

Fault Module Name:    CameraRaw.dll

Fault Module Version:    4.1.0.10

Fault Module Timestamp:    4fb22636

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    000000000005c8f3

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Information 1:    5231

Additional Information 2:    52314b86dd492d0e1c8967d621f7fea6

Additional Information 3:    eb65

Additional Information 4:    eb65633c49ac65ec1f6544dba65ffa71

Upgrading to 4.1 didn't help.  I actually haven't yet processed any RAW images in LR4 so I'm not sure why CameraRaw is involved.  I hesitate to uninstall LR3.5 since LR4 is proving useless and a waste of my money.  I'm looking for a quick solution as I'm trying to complete an important project.  Thanks.

System: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, i7-2600K, 12GB, latest Win7 64-bit SP1, CS5 Design Premium

• 1. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll
          Peddle4ever Community Member

Update:

I'm also experiencing a different type of crash at random.  Not sure if it's related.  These occur around every 15 minutes, typically when I'm browsing photos in Developer.  The symptom is that the app hangs and the top 25% of the screen goes white like it's failing to redraw or refresh the image.  I've processed >1000 images in LR3.x on this machine and I don't recall it ever crashing.

Description:

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1

Application Name:    lightroom.exe

Application Version:    4.1.0.11

Application Timestamp:    4fb2266f

Hang Signature:    26bd

Hang Type:    513

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Hang Signature 1:    26bdb3bd37bc3e431e6a259f35ab2e34

Additional Hang Signature 2:    80ac

Additional Hang Signature 3:    80ac6ccbc45a11c129a39706db1b354f

Additional Hang Signature 4:    26bd

Additional Hang Signature 5:    26bdb3bd37bc3e431e6a259f35ab2e34

Additional Hang Signature 6:    80ac

Additional Hang Signature 7:    80ac6ccbc45a11c129a39706db1b354f

• 2. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll
            F. McLion Community Member

I'd try to remove LR 4.1, reboot,  delete the file Lightroom 4 Preferences.agprefs, and reinstall 4.1 directly. There's no need to install 4.0 first. Make sure to run it with administrative credentials (right-click: run as administrator).

You can also try to only delete the agprefs. It will create a new one. Experience from many forum users show that this helps with various kind of issues.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

I uninstalled LR4.1, rebooted, deleted the .agprefs file and reinstalled.  I've tried running it as admin and normally.  Every time I pull up an image in Developer and slide the Sharpening Detail slider, it crashes.  The first symptom is that the slider freezes.  Then when I click anywhere on the screen the top 25% of the screen becomes a large white block.  Then I get the usual Win7 error dialog.  When I re-run it, the prefs seem to have been erased.  For example, whereas I normally configure View as full screen, it comes up with menus.  And it forgets which image I had been working on, etc.  That might be a clue that there's a problem with a prefs file or the registry.

I had similar issues and symptoms with Luminance NR several years with LR3 on a different machine (ie, different motherboard, running XP, different graphics card, etc).  Painful.  Those problems got fixed in LR3.5, fortunately but it was a long wait.  Now with LR4 I feel I'm reliving that aweful experience.  I can't believe Adobe charged money for this upgrade.  And I doubt they'd give me my money back - what a waste.  I've been a software developer in Silicon Valley for 20+ years and I'm not impressed with the LR QA team.  I think somebody needs to spend a little more time scrubbing JIRA bugs and less time tooting their horns.  It wasn't ready guys...

• 4. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

Just to make sure: You did run the installer as admin, did ya', not LR?

Since you are are a SW developer you surly have checked all the obvious. I personally never had any issues alike. From other posts its seems that issues like this usually have something to do with access privileges to folders/files where LR, its preference and other files and the db is located. Also check and/or make yourself the owner if it's not already set that way.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

Thanks.  Yes, I tried running the installer as admin.  It looks like a pretty low-level issue to me involving screen redraws at the graphics driver level.  It's quite repeatable as described above.  Once again, I have no issues with other apps including LR3.5.  Here's a typical screen after it hangs.  The white areas are always in the same locations.  When I move another app to the same area of the screen, the white areas remain superimposed on the screen as if the bitmap has been corrupted.

LR Crash screen2.jpg

My graphics adapter:

Intel HD Graphics 3000 (built into the Z68/Sandy Bridge using system RAM)

OpenGL:

Version    3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2696

Vendor    Intel

Renderer    Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

GLU Version    1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation

• 6. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

First, update the graphic driver to the latest version and see if that helps:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21431&ProdId=3319&lang=eng

• 7. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

Hmm, I thought I had upgraded to the latest last week via an "optional" update from Microsoft.  Thanks for pointing it out.  Anyway, I went ahead and upgraded the driver as you suggested.  Same results.  It crashes the second I adjust the Sharpening Detail slider.

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Driver version    8.15.10.2761

OpenGL

Version    3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2761

Vendor    Intel

Renderer    Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

GLU Version    1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation

• 8. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

Update:

I installed an ancient graphics card and got some interesting results.  The card uses the Nvidia GForce 6600 device.  I'm using two monitors.  The primary uses the on-board Intel HD 3000 adapter.  It's supposed to run Direct X 10 or 11.  The secondary uses the 6600.  It's supposed to run Direct X 9.0C.  In this setup, it still crashes as soon as I slide the Sharpening Detail slider. 

However, if I set the 6600 as primary and reboot, it's stable - no crashes yet.  I rebooted a few times to test the repeatability and it seems solid - so far.  Of course I get no problems with LR 3.5.  So it appears LR4 doesn't like the HD 3000 graphics adapter and/or driver, Direct X version, GPU algo code, etc. 

Anyone out there using the Intel HD 3000 with LR4.x?

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 6600

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0141&SUBSYS_81B01043&REV_A2

Display Memory: 2280 MB

Dedicated Memory: 248 MB

Shared Memory: 2031 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Dell E248WFP(Digital)

Monitor Model: DELL E248WFP

Monitor Id: DELA02E

Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2umx.dll, nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 8.15.0011.8593 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.11.8593

DDI Version: 9Ex

Driver Model: WDDM 1.0

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 7/13/2009 18:41:53, 9443840 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4201-11CF-6252-BBA102C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x0141

SubSys ID: 0x81B01043

Revision ID: 0x00A2

Driver Strong Name: nv_lh.inf:NVIDIA.Mfg.NTamd64...1:nv_NV3x:8.15.11.8593:pci\ven_10de&dev_0141

Rank Of Driver: 00F42001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_B ModeWMV9_B ModeVC1_A ModeWMV9_A

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0122&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_09

Display Memory: 1696 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Current Mode: 2048 x 1536 (32 bit) (75Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic Non-PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id:

Native Mode: unknown

Output Type: HD15

Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2761 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2761

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 5/21/2012 12:04:28, 8089088 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4262-11CF-217D-0AF0A9C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x0122

SubSys ID: 0xD0001458

Revision ID: 0x0009

Driver Strong Name: oem28.inf:IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.0:iSNBD0:8.15.10.2761:pci\ven_8086&dev_0122

• 9. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

I don't use the Intel HD3000. One thought tough: Can you change the memory settings for the HD3000? Must  be in the BIOS or maybe in the driver, and raise it to 256 MB. Just a thought, because dedicated memory of 64MB is very low for your resolution and I don't know how the Intel driver use use the shared pool.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

Interesting suggestion, thank you.  I believe the Dedicated Memory should normally be dynamically allocated to each app as required.  So a 64MB default setting should suffice, in theory.   But I've read that some apps don't properly request this.  So per your suggestion I tried manually increasing it in the BIOS from 64MB to 256MB.  Unfortunately, it still crashes the moment I move the Luminance slider. 

I did notice one thing, if I increase the resolution of the primary monitor to 2560x1600 or decrease to random resolutions like 1920x1440 the Luminance slider doesn't seem to crash LR.  Unfortunately this isn't a practical work-around but it's interesting that there's a correlation. 

Does anybody know if Adobe's LR team reads these posts?  Do they have a hardware compatibility lab?  Is it possible to get a JIRA account to log bugs?

• 11. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

Adobe staff is lurking around. There is a chance that somebody is responding to this thread.

However, this would be the correct address to report it: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

• 12. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

I got to thinking these particular appcrashes I've been focusing on may be unrelated to the original CameraRaw.dll problem.  I wonder if it's possible to change the title of this thread or fork off a separate one..?

• 13. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll
                                  nicolas_tbone

I have been seeing this a lot lately. I run a ATI 6900 series on a Core I7.  I have tried all sorts of things to help reduce the issue but nothing has worked.  It still hangs in the develop module frustratingly often.

I am using the latest video drivers running an Radeon 6900 series. 

My PC is a Core I7 with 12 gigs of ram.

Hyper-threading is turned on. 

I am running the RC now, which appears to be worse, then Lightroom 4.1

I have tried running Lightroom with a single display.

I have checked the catalog to make sure its intact (using whatever I could find in the software to do so).

I have wiped the raw cache, the catalog cache.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/cross_thread_deadlock_lr_4_1_win_7_x 64

• 14. Re: Lightroom 4.1 crashes, module CameraRaw.dll

Has anyone with this problem tested Lightroom 4.2?