• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can TOC contain hyperlinks to external docs?

Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp, RH9

Can I build a TOC that consists of a list of hyperlinks to external Word documents -- by which I mean Word docs not linked or imported into the project but instead, residing on a shared network drive in an intranet environment. When the user clicks the TOC entry, the Word doc would open either in the content pane or in a new browser window.

Thanks,

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can. Instead of adding a topic to your TOC, you add a page. These can be used to link to all sorts of things including URLs. You just need to add a "page title" and "link to" address (see below)

toc_page.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a look and the 'link to' option does not include a word doc option. I also suspect you have to import docs into the project folder in order to link to them which Last Fudgement did not want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK but the Word files are on an intranet. So you just link to them using a URL right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can create a URL but it used to be the case that how that link worked depended on the user settings and the browser used. It will thus require some testing.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all

In addition to what others have said, I'll also offer this. Even on a "fast" intranet, a Microsoft Word document can take a long time to open.

<Begin scratchy little old man voice here>

Sonny, back in the day when I was a young whippersnapper, when I was in the corporate world, I did the same thing myself. And because opening the document always took longer than most would reasonably expect, I developed a technique that I coined as "docfetch".

I created a separate page in my project for each link. Then linked the TOC to those pages. On the page itself I added some verbiage along the following lines: Please wait as your document is opened.

Then I configured this page to perform a meta redirect that opened the document a second or two later.

This caused the users to stop flooding my inbox to say things were "broke". Also, at that time RoboHelp had issues where it would lose the links to things like documents from the TOC. So it prevented that from happening too.

To configure a meta redirect, just add the following meta tag to your HTML:

<meta HTTP-EQUIV=refresh CONTENT="2;URL=G:\SomeFolder\SomeDocument.DOC">

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp