Exit

adobe application manager fails to update

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the following message:

update failed, updates have been suppressed by the Administrator

Also, updates are greyed out in all apps.

Creative Cloud CS6, OSX Lion

What's going on? My user account is set up to administer the machine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Problem solved:

I found the problem is due to AAME installing a pref file which DISABLES updates from working in CS products. The AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat file. This is quite a pain and

someone installing Adobe CS with AAME may not be aware that this file is being installed, making it very confusing for administrators.

The solution is to delete or rename the  <Startup Disk>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdaterInventory/1.0/AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

Then run Update from Photoshop (or o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename or move the "AdobeUpdaterPrefs.dat"  from "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/" and then check.

the user library will be hidden hence follow ;- http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/access-user-library-folder-in-os-x-lion/

or

use Spotlight to search this file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CS6 and I am getting the same error when I run the AdobePatchInstaller for AdobeCameraRaw-7.1-mul-AdobeUpdate and this solution did not work. I removed the AdobeUpdaterPrefs.dat file, and I even deleted the AAMUpdater folder and the same error happens. Update is still greyed out in the Help menu. Any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Mac OS X 10.7.4

Adobe Photoshop CS 6 Extended version 13.0 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my solution:

And note, the Updates option under the Help menu is also geyed out.

1) Run Adobe uninstaller for all apps

2) Go here and run the Cleaner Tool

3) Remove all remaining Adobe/Application files (Search your hard drive or use this chart to find them all

4) once all CS6 and any older versions and the associated pref files are deleted, restart and reinstall.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved:

I found the problem is due to AAME installing a pref file which DISABLES updates from working in CS products. The AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat file. This is quite a pain and

someone installing Adobe CS with AAME may not be aware that this file is being installed, making it very confusing for administrators.

The solution is to delete or rename the  <Startup Disk>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdaterInventory/1.0/AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

Then run Update from Photoshop (or other app probably) and Update works.

Full details are on Adobe's website at http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/disable-auto-updates-application-manager.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cemyers,

THANK YOU! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

That was it in my case and to have it finally work saved the rest of the hair on my head from being torn out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2013 Nov 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has had me running around in cicrles all morning! Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

Solution from cemeyers, above worked perfectly from my iMac running OS10.9.4 and CS6:

I deleted  <Startup Disk>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdaterInventory/1.0/AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

I then ran "Updates" from Photoshop (or other app probably), which opened Adobe Applications Manager (finally) and got me updates on all of my CS6 programs.

Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YCHRC please be aware that you have removed the ability the Creative Cloud Desktop application to know what applications you have installed and what updates are available.  The file you removed can only be recreated by reinstalling any applications you wish to have updated.

You can find more details at Updates repeatedly applied | CC.

I would strongly advise that you do not remove or modify the contents of the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdaterInventory/1.0/ folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Your suggestions from the link you sent did not work. I had to pretty much do what YCHRC recommended then I put back the file. I have enterprise edition at work and I am the Admin of my workstation but the automatic updater has never worked - it is always greyed out. It also does not recognize me as the Admin sometimes. I just do updates every 3 month manually with the packager. The only problem is the packager seems to break DPS Folio Builder. This is a true time waster. Can Adobe please fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sooooo much, i've been trying to update Lightroom CC for 2 days and it wouldn't let me but finally has!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!! It is incredible this issue has not been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Manish-Sharma,

Thanks for this solution. You might want to pass it on to the people who man your help desk. I was on the phone with them for hours the other days as we tried to find a solution.

Thanks and best,

dp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! worked like a charm, saved my life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines