Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 HTML: WebHelp on Mac OSX cuts off search pane

Mar 02, 2010 Mar 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I generate Webhelp using a skin.

It looks fine on the PC in IE7 and Firefox 3.5.8.

On Mac OS 10.4 using Safari or Firefox (latest versions), the text that is at the top of the search pane is cut off by the search results pane.

Here is how the search pane looks in browsers on the PC (correct):

webhelp on pc search pane.png

And here is how it looks in FF and Safari on the Mac (incorrect - "Search results per page" and checkbox are covered by lower results pane):

webhelp on mac search pane.png

Is there some way to prevent this from happening on the Mac? I need to produce a single webhelp file that can be viewed using both platforms.

Thanks for info,

Jeanne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Hi Jeanne,

Please update the following file on RoboHTML 8 machine

1.  Go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin

2.  Make a backup of whfdhtml.htm File

3.  Open whfdhtml.htm file in notepad, and modify the following line

strWrite="<FRAMESET ROWS='85,100%' framespacing=0  frameborder=0>";

to

strWrite="<FRAMESET ROWS='115,100%' framespacing=0  frameborder=0>";

4.  Save this file.

5.  Open the project and regenerate the webhelp output.

6.  Verify again on MAC safar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just checked with Safari on a PC and it displays correctly. Sorry I don't have a Mac to test on.

Maybe see if it is the same on other Macs?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter - thanks for checking. Good to know it is ok on Safari on pc.

This issue was reported by our QA department who tested it on their macs (Leopard and Snow Leopard), and I am able to reproduce it on mine (Leopard). So this seems to be a problem on all macs.

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got our graphics designer to open a help project on her Mac and it has the problem you describe. Report it as a bug.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I did that.

I'm thinking that this is caused by the js code that generates the search pane (and the index pane - that input area is effected as well, but just slightly). Apparently, once the OS is detected as Mac, something different happens.

If anyone has insight, it would be much appreciated as I have a project going live in 2 weeks that shows this problem. If there is no fix, I will have to leave the Search pane out of help, which makes it less help-ful.

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to confirm it is not just your system.

Unless someone has found a solution, you won't see a fix in the timeframe you are talking about.

Take a look at ZoomSearch on my site. Not sure if it works on a Mac but you can test that.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanne,

Please update the following file on RoboHTML 8 machine

1.  Go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin

2.  Make a backup of whfdhtml.htm File

3.  Open whfdhtml.htm file in notepad, and modify the following line

strWrite="<FRAMESET ROWS='85,100%' framespacing=0  frameborder=0>";

to

strWrite="<FRAMESET ROWS='115,100%' framespacing=0  frameborder=0>";

4.  Save this file.

5.  Open the project and regenerate the webhelp output.

6.  Verify again on MAC safari/Firefox browser.

Hope this helps. Do let me know if you find some issue with the steps specified above.

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Praful,

Your solution worked perfectly! Thanks you so much for your very quick reply.

Another fix is also required (to fix a similar problem on the Index pane)

In the same folder, edit the file whidhtml.htm and change:

if (gbMac)
  strWrite="<FRAMESET ROWS='60,100%' framespacing=0  frameborder=0>";

I just have to add that I am absolutely amazed at the quick reply I received after filing this as a bug report.

Sincerely,

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know this discussion was from a couple years ago, but I am now having this issue in Robohelp 9. I tried editing the file as your instructions suggest, but when I went to save it, it said access denied. Can you provide me with guidance on this? Should I be able to edit this file in RH9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a permissions issue. Speak to your IT people to see if you have the required permissions for the file location.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I got access to the files and fixed the problems, but now I am having another problem. I've been told that the search pane is showing at different widths in different help projects when viewed in Safari on an IPad. In the Search tab in a project that shows the navigation pane at a smaller width, apparently if you enter a number in Search results per page (like 99) it shows up as 9. Any advice or ideas?

search issue.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's definitely not supported on an iPad which has a different OS. It will need either a script guru or possibly RoboHelp 10 which has been announced today. I cannot guarantee that will fix the problem but HTML5 output for all devices is a key feature.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp