• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH10 Deletes the Glossary File (.glo)

Participant ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When upgrading projects to RH9, RoboHTML routinely deleted the .glo file contents from the projects (leaving behind a 0-byte file). I got into the habit of then copying in a backup .glo file and carried on.

With RH10, however, RoboHTML routinely deletes the contents of the .glo file under all circumstances immediately when the project is saved, even after the project has been upgraded. I can copy over a backup .glo file, open up the project, and the .glo file goes to 0-bytes while the glossary is viewable and editable in the UI. It remains at 0-bytes when the project is closed.

So: anyone have any ideas where to start? I have some 15 massive projects with extensive glossaries--so this is not fun. I'm fairly certain this was reported as a bug in RH9.

Thanks...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

I discovered the solution. All my RH9 .glo files start right off with the term ("NAME"), followed by the definition. For example, line 1 and line 2 are:

1. NAME=AAFP
  2. American Academy of Family Physicians

RH10 requires the glossary list to have at least the following, or it will zero out the file:

1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  2. <glossary version="1.0">
  3. NAME=AAFP
  4. American Academy of Family Physicians

Building a new test glossary in RH10 produces this ideal format:

1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered the solution. All my RH9 .glo files start right off with the term ("NAME"), followed by the definition. For example, line 1 and line 2 are:

1. NAME=AAFP
  2. American Academy of Family Physicians

RH10 requires the glossary list to have at least the following, or it will zero out the file:

3. NAME=AAFP
  4. American Academy of Family Physicians

Building a new test glossary in RH10 produces this ideal format:

3. <glossentry>
  4.   <glossterm>AAFP</glossterm>
  5.   <glossdef>American Academy of Family Physicians</glossdef>
  6. </glossentry>
  7. </glossary>

So, while the first option works--it is apparently not ideal and RH10 does not correctly convert ("upgrade") prior glossaries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flaven,

We are not able to reproduce the above issue. We would also like to bring to your notice that-

Below format was used to define glo file in RoboHelp 7:

1.          NAME=AAFP

2.          American Academy of Family Physicians

But since RoboHelp 8, glo file is defined as:

3.          <glossentry>

4.                    <glossterm>AAFP</glossterm>

5.                    <glossdef>American Academy of Family Physicians</glossdef>

6.          </glossentry>

7. </glossary>

As we try to upgrade a project from any of the previous RoboHelp version to its higher version, glo file is upgraded successfully without any issues.

Can you please try this upgrade scenario with a new project and let us know your findings. If the issue persists, please share the exact steps to reproduce.

Thanks,

Aditi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply Aditi. The issue apparently began with RH7 failing to properly update the .glo files. The issue was compounded with RH9 emptying the file on upgrading the project, but then happily using the old format subsequently. RH10 called a halt to the process and forced me to discover why. I've since rebuilt the glossary using the new structure and this is no longer an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp