10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2012 5:43 PM by SG... RSS

My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?

Harvest_Meadow Community Member

I know how to upload the 3D tool and put the texture on it but when I do the texture is too light.  I don't know why it's not appearing the same color as the original file.  I am not sure if I am not loading it right.  I had CS5 and I am loading it the same way.  Well...as similar as the software will allow.  This one is so different.  Anyway, can anyone tell me how to fix this issue?  Thanks so much for the help.

I have Vista and CS6.

Thanks,

Harvest

• 1. Re: My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?
          markerline Community Member

Please give us more details.  Are you trying to import a 3D file such as an .OBJ or a .DXF into Photoshop Extended CS6?

What steps are you taking and how do they differ from the way you import the object into Photoshop Extended CS5.0?

Did you inadvertently apply a new light to light the object and make it appear "less dark"?

• 2. Re: My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?

I have extended cs6.  I did not add any light.  I imported the .obj and was trying to put the .png onto the .obj to continue editing in 3d so I can see it the way it would look on.

In CS5 I went to 3D, New 3D Layer from File and selected my object, then on the right there was this cute little cube that I clicked and in there I clicked on (third one over) to get to the window that showed diffuse about halfway down and chose my file to upload.  It showed the file perfectly.  I know it's complicated but I don't have the version to hover and give proper names.  It was under 3D material.  There was a file looking button, a calculator looking one, the one I choose and then a light bulb.  Below, after selected was a round ball and to the right was diffuse, opacity and bump (?)...along with other stuff I just can't remember.

In CS6 however the cube is nowhere to be found.  What I find that is the absolute closest is under the 3D tab.  There is the file looking tab called "Show All Scene Elements", then the calculator one called "Show All 3D Mesh and 3D Extrusions", a similar one to the one before called "Show All Materials" and the light bulb called "Show All Lights".  If I click show all materials and double click the little icon next to the file it brings up Properties where I see the little ball again.  There is Diffuse but the others have changed.  Under diffuse I can not load file but under specular and illumination I can.  Both of those load the file incorrectly.  I can only assume I am in the wrong place.  I don't know where to load the file onto my object correctly.

• 3. Re: My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?

The easiest thing to bring up all of your 3D panel information is to switch to the 3D workspace from the Essentials workspace drop-down menu on the top right of the PS interface.  I got the cube to show up in the Layers panel when I did File>Open>untitled.obj .  PS automatically asks you if you want to switch to the 3D workspace if you do this for the first time.   It automatically adds a 3D layer for you to the obj when you open it.  Try to use Open rather than import and if you have to work in a secondary file then copy your 3D object into that file once you have manipulated the obj file to your liking.

I hope this is somewhat clear but continue to ask questions to iron out the difficulties you're having.

• 4. Re: My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?

are you talking about in the lower right corner of the picture of the layer?  I see that and it takes me to the other stuff I described but still...where do I add the file to put on my 3D object?

• 5. Re: My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?

that same box now takes me to coordinates

• 6. Re: My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?

replace texture worked...under diffuse...the color is perfect

thx guys

• 7. Re: My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?

yes you can use replace texture.  i believe you can also create a new texture and apply that as well.

• 8. Re: My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?
                        qiseguangcn Community Member

i often use it,but now, it is too difficult for me.

• 9. Re: My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?
                          Daniel Presedo > dramenon Adobe Employee

>> I don't know why it's not appearing the same color as the original file. <<

That is likely because we have a different lighting scheme in CS6, we create a default IBL (Image Based Light) in the environment tabIBL.jpg

• 10. Re: My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?
                            SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

You might also be getting a material which loads texture maps in CS5, slightly different in CS6 and can lead to a 'brighter' appearance. For instance, I have an .obj file that loads a texture map in to 'Gloss' in CS5, but loads it to 'Specular' for CS6 (we removed 'Gloss' and 'Shine' texture maps in CS5, replacing it with 'Roughness' in CS6). So even importing the CS5 light presets and turning of the CS6 IBL, I still see a 'brighter' rendering due to the Specular map.

The underlying difference in the UI, between CS5 and CS6, comes down to separating the 3D panel from CS5 into 2 panels in CS6 (3D and Properties). Hopefully with a little use, the CS6 UI becomes a lot more usable than the CS5 UI; For users that are haven't struggled mastering the CS4 and CS5 UI, it's a lot more approachable.

regards,

steve