4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2012 11:16 PM by Rick Gerard RSS

Macbook pro

Arrakis Community Member

Hi,  Im using after effects on a 2011 model macbook pro Lion OSX with a solid state drive. Its not too bad but could be better.  I cant afford a whole new system currently as Im studying but I was wondering is there any way of using one of those nvidia quadro cards etc with a macbook pro?  IF so which one, and how do I do this?   Thank you

• 1. Re: Macbook pro
          Mylenium CommunityMVP

You can't upgrade the graphics hardware of an MBP and that settles that.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Macbook pro
            Rick Gerard CommunityMVP

MacBook Pro's have great resale value. The only MBPro with a compatible card is the new Retina model. A trade-in is your only viable option.

• 3. Re: Macbook pro
              Arrakis Community Member

Ok so say I were to sell it what would you recommend I buy for best performance with a budget of no more than 4K.

• 4. Re: Macbook pro
                Rick Gerard CommunityMVP

If you need portability and want to stick with a Mac then the Retina display is the way to go. I'm very happy with mine. If you don't need portability and want to stay Mac then a Mac Pro would be the way to go. More cores and more performance for the $4K.

If you want to move to Windows then you've got to be just as careful about compatibility and video cards with laptops. I'd also suggest that you go with a major manufacturer if you go for a desktop. These days you can get a pretty amazing machine for $4K....