• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to force Premiere to render previews?

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone.  I have a clip that's high definition.  It's been video denoised and colour corrected and vignetted, and to preserve quality it's rendered in QuickTime Animation codec with quality of 100 (lossless).  It's 37 gigabytes for 3 and a half minutes, and my humble MacBook Pro can't play it in real time.  That's no problem, as long as I can use previews to do my editing.

But it looks like Premiere Pro CS 6.0.1 is trying to use the original file instead of creating previews.  If I delete all preview files, the line above the clip stays yellow/green (I'm colour blind, sorry I can't tell the difference).  If I drop the sequence preview resolution, it stays yellow/green.

I want the original footage for quality, but I want to edit using something lossy.  How do I force Premiere to make a low-bitrate version of the file for preview purposes?

Richard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Set the work area to the sart and finish and then

(Menu) Sequences -> Render Entire Work Area

The codec used for the render is chosen in the Sequence --> Sequence settings (though this could now be grayed) and is usually i-Frame MPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the work area to the sart and finish and then

(Menu) Sequences -> Render Entire Work Area

The codec used for the render is chosen in the Sequence --> Sequence settings (though this could now be grayed) and is usually i-Frame MPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's the correct answer.  I'm used to pressing "Enter", but that's not enough to force it to render previews if the line's yellow.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We created a short cut as Shift-Enter which helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always thoougt Preview files were in the DV format so that you could use Firewire Out for previews on a video monitor. How do you change the Preview format anyways?

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview format changes depending on your sequence settings. If you edit in DV-NTSC it is DV-NTSC;s codec if you edit in AVCHD and tons of other HD formats it uses i-frame only mpeg if you edit in DVCPRO50 it uses DVCPRO50 NTSC for preview codec and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a custom preset for the sequence type you can pretty much choose what you want as the preview codec.  If you choose a preset then you get what is there already and it's grayed (can't be changed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to start and select a preset so there is no way to control what format the Preview files are within a Preset. IF you pick Custom, there are no options to move forward.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cavemandude wrote:

You have to start and select a preset so there is no way to control what format the Preview files are within a Preset. IF you pick Custom, there are no options to move forward.

Randy

That's about 100% opposite to what I have found.   If I create a custom preset I can choose my own (e.g. ProRes) but if I pick a preset then it's grayed and I can't change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it under Editing Mode and then you pick Custom from there. I was talking about the first Custom selection.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I'd recommend looking into chosing a different option other than animation, I'd recommend using DNxHD or UT. It won't be such a big file. With UT it will be lossless and with DNxHD it will be visually lossless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Animation format is only for the highest-quality render of it, and it's necessary in order to make sure there's no loss of quality.  But when I'm editing, I don't need the highest quality.  Intraframe compression is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't have a red bar, you can trick it by adding a non-accelerated effect (such as channel blur) and keep it set to 0 so it has no effect. But it will change to a red bar and allow you to create a preview file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UT doesn't lose any quality and niether does Lagarith. Both of these codecs are 100% lossless. DNxHD is  visually lossless which I have done many many test with and I haven't ever seen any loss with it. But honestly I was just trying to recommend you consider using one of the codecs I mentioned instead of Animation beause Animation takes forever to render and also produces HUGE files and it doesn't produce any better results than UT or Lagarith, and for all intensive purposes doesn't look any better than DNxHD either (since it's visually lossless).

Also with Lagarith and UT and DNxHD you probably wouldn't need to render to begin with. (depending on what you're doing) but since you've been using animation already I understand if that's what you'd continue to like using I actually used to use Animation and PNG back before I found out about the options I have listed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, QuickTime Animation codec works out of the box on all Macs.  So I can use it to transfer files between myself and my friend without any co-ordination of codec.  Again, I don't care if the file is big for the sake of a final render, as long as I can edit in a lossy, smaller version of it.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Understood, I was just trying to save you the problem of needing to render in order to edit. Sorry if it came across poorly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines