5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 7:21 PM by VidShooter RSS

MPEG2-DVD question

EDMLLC

I have a premiere CS5 project with HD 1920x1080p 24fps.  I have (2) 45 minute timelines and I am using Encore to author my DVD.

Please help me understand the best way to approach this.

My first thought was to import both premiere timelines into encore and create the dvd.  The resulting project was about 6GB so I used a Dual Layer DVD-9 for the burn. 

From reading comments here, I got the impression that exporting from Premiere and creating MPEG2-DVD files might be a better option for better quality.   I did this using Match Source Attributes and created two export files which I then brought into a new Encore project.  The resulting project totals about 4GB.  

Did I do this right?   If this seems right, is the quality going to be the same using the second method?   If the second method is good, I would be happy as I would be able to use less expensive single layer DVDs vs dual layer DVDs.

Please let me know the best way to approch this.

Thanks

Ted

• 1. Re: MPEG2-DVD question
          Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

90 minutes will fit nicely on a sl dvd.

I would go for a ntsc mpeg2 dvd preset and tweak the bitrate a bit (might want to use a bitrate calculator)

Make sure you have Use Max  Render Quality on, and do not use Preview files.

Import the 2 files into Encore, make menu and burn.

• 2. Re: MPEG2-DVD question
            EDMLLC Community Member

Ann,

Thanks for the info.   So the bottom line........will I get a better quality if I create the MPEG2-DVD file vs just importing the Premiere project into Encore?     Will I gain any quality if I change VBR,1 pass to VBR, 2 pass?

I would love to be abale ot play around with the bitrate but I dont want to screw anything up and I have not done any bit calculations in the past.

In Encore in the MPEG2-DVD "match Source Attributes" setting, the default under "basic video settings" is

Quality  4

VBR, 1 Pass

Min Bitrate 2.8

Target Bitrate 5

Max Bitrate 7

GOP settings

M Frames 3

N Frames 12

Would you recommend changing any of these settings?

Thanks

Ted

• 3. Re: MPEG2-DVD question
              Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

If you want to get things right you need to do some trial and error.

I would set it to vbr2 target to 7 and max to 8 or 9.

If the files are too big then lower the bitrate.

A bit rate calculator is your best aid.

http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php

• 4. Re: MPEG2-DVD question
                EDMLLC Community Member

will adjusting the target and max bitrates create any problems with DVD player compatibility issues?   Or is that not related?

Thanks

Ted

• 5. Re: MPEG2-DVD question
                  VidShooter Community Member

Ted,

Glad you're asking these questions because they are exactly what I want to know too.

I have been importing sequences from Pr, then using the Progressive Hi Q 7Mb VBR 2-pass preset, which looked to be the highest quality preset.

However, after a series of problems (associated with multiple sequences in the one timeline), I re-coded using the Automatic preset.

I compared DVDs produced by the two presets on a high quality player.

I couldn't spot any differences in colour, contrast, brightness, etc, but I could see that when objects moved, the Automatic gave clearer motion! ie, less edge artifacts (can't remember the correct term).

This surprised me because I always thought a 2-pass encode was superior to a 1-pass one.

So, until I find out more about encoding, I'll stick to the Automatic preset for projects I encode in Encore. 

Might try encoding in Premiere Pro  -  as Ann suggests.

Nevertheless, i'd be interested in your findings. 

Thanks

Erik